• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada 2018/2019 Southern California Thread - Big Bear, Mountain High, Baldy, Wrightwood, etc.

Larry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Damn, I'm forced to wait until this weekend with the other 20,000 people. Hopefully, Olympic and the Wall are spinning so lift lines will be shorter.

Desperate times call for desperate measures. Hopefully, people forget that Mammoth is blacked out this weekend

TS
Pat AKA mustski

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Damn, I'm forced to wait until this weekend with the other 20,000 people. Hopefully, Olympic and the Wall are spinning so lift lines will be shorter.

Desperate times call for desperate measures. Hopefully, people forget that Mammoth is blacked out this weekend
We'll meet up with you. If you get there early, the AM should be fine. The bowl is open and so is all the terrain around chair 10. My experience with weekends over the years is rotate through chairs 6,7, and 10 and you can avoid a lot of the crowding.

Mothertucker

Sweep Dodger
Skier
I am a total Big Bear jong. Will this coming few days be a good call with the rain forecaster at the coast. I have the Ikon pass so I think it works at both SS and Bear Mtn. Where should I go for a day or two?
IMG_20181231_161248348.jpg
You can easily do both in the same day, intermountain shuttles run on the half hour, but if it's your initial visit I would stick to one area each on a two day trip. Summit has better groomers with variety, and Bear has better off piste, and more of it. As to weather, look at www.bensweather.com and the resort webcams for real time. I would have shown you around but I'm out of state for awhile.

TS
Pat AKA mustski

Pat AKA mustski

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
View attachment 62930
Summit has better groomers with variety, and Bear has better off piste, and more of it. As to weather, look at www.bensweather.com and the resort webcams for real time. I would have shown you around but I'm out of state for awhile.
Good point. I hadn’t taken the off piste into account and a good snowfall makes all the difference in the world in that area. I hope all is well and that your out of state trip is for fun.

Last edited:
TS
Pat AKA mustski

Pat AKA mustski

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Summit skied really well today. We just stopped and the condition of the snow is still very good. There is still plenty to be had in the trees. We were surprised when we got back to the truck and it looked like everything was all melty in town and in the parking lot. We didn’t experience that on the mountain. It snowed until noon and then the fog rolled in. Visibility wasn’t awesome but it was good enough.
The weather still shows it snowing all night. If so.. tomorrow should be really fun!

TS
Pat AKA mustski

Pat AKA mustski

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The dreaded R stuff hit during the night. It’s stoppingnowso we may go out for a quick run or two to check conditions. It’s supposed to be a deluge tomorrow so @river-z you should probably skip on Friday.

TS
Pat AKA mustski

Pat AKA mustski

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
NOOOOO!
I have a sad.
It’s raining up top. We took 2 runs and then I quit. Bob’sbraving it for a couple more. The snow is cream cheesy In some spots and water logged in others. @Larry I’ll check it out Friday and let you know if Saturday is worth it. It might be better to aim for Sunday or Monday after everything dries out a bit.

Rostapher

All Praise Ullr
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It’s raining up top. We took 2 runs and then I quit. Bob’sbraving it for a couple more. The snow is cream cheesy In some spots and water logged in others. @Larry I’ll check it out Friday and let you know if Saturday is worth it. It might be better to aim for Sunday or Monday after everything dries out a bit.
Thanks for all your continual weather/condition updates @Pat AKA mustski. We were thinking about coming this weekend too, but it seems kinda silly to go a holiday weekend, esp now with the R. Of course, I’m well prepared to ski in R if I have to!

TS
Pat AKA mustski

Pat AKA mustski

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I caught an edge today and took a hard fall. I felt ok, got up and skied down no problem. Now my neck is a bit tweaky - nothing major but making itself known for sure. :crash:

Larry

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'll be skiing for sure sunday and monday. If Olympic and wall are open then I don't think it'll be busy there.

I might ski sat. afternoon but not sure how long it'll take me to get up the hill. Traffic is going to be hell

TS
Pat AKA mustski

Pat AKA mustski

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
@Larry Yes, if you stick to the bowls and chairs 7 and 10, you can avoid most of the crowds. We will definitely be out there Monday if you want to meet up for a few hours. We may be out Saturday also. It depends on how my neck is feeling. I am going to skip on Friday. The snow was too crappy today and I expect Friday to be the same because we are supposed to get some serious rain tomorrow.

Larry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Took me 3 hours from Riverside to get to SS today. I got on slope at 12:30. Very warm day and yes it was slushy too. I avoided many people by skiing 7, 10, 6(wall?).

Snow was ok but not great. Slushy like I said. It hardened up a little starting around 3:30. A few thin spots off Olympic, wall, etc.

Many people falling(mainly people couldn't get on the lifts). I rolled at 4:30. There are a ton of people up in BB. Just driving around is a nightmare.

I'm skiing tomorrow from 8:30-1 then I'm coming back to watch NFL games

TS
Pat AKA mustski

Pat AKA mustski

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
We skied today until 11:00 and then we had to get home to receive a delivery. We’re going out again Monday morning. @Larry are you skiing Monday?

Larry

Out on the slopes
Skier
@Pat AKA mustski, not sure about monday yet. Probably but just for a few hours. I'll see how Sunday goes. I plan to be there around 8:15

TS
Pat AKA mustski

Pat AKA mustski

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
@Larry We are waiting to the last minute to decide. Bob hurt his knee the other day and we leave for Aspen next Saturday. I’ll text you in the morning and let you know. We may get a bit of snow tonight and it may possibly be snowing in the morning.

Viking9

Out on the slopes
Skier
Hey Pat have fun in Aspen with that Ikon pass, kind of jealous.
I don’t know about you but I feel like sometimes the Ikon pass is to good to last. It will be interesting if it stays the same next year.

Sponsor

Staff online