• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada 2018/2019 Southern California Thread - Big Bear, Mountain High, Baldy, Wrightwood, etc.

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We were thinking of skiing Saturday, holiday and all, ....probably going to pass now.

MountainMonster

~0~
Skier
Snow was surprisingly nice yesterday , light ,dry, boot top.
And a 6-8 hour drive down the mountain as a bonus
Summit

New2

Out on the slopes
Skier
Snow was surprisingly nice yesterday , light ,dry, boot top.
And a 6-8 hour drive down the mountain as a bonus
Summit
An extra hour's delay getting off the mountain was enough to pretty much turn me off from Big Bear. And particularly when Mountain High East is offering real skiing, and Waterman's actually open. I get that Summit's on your Ikon passes, but idling your car for so long and wasting so much time seems like it's way more than a lift ticket somewhere else would be.

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
When the kids were little, we skied Mountain High a lot. It was so easy to day trip there. Decent mountain.

Actually got a top ten powder day there - it was almost snowing at the lake below sea level - couldn't work so zipped up to Mountain High for a 2 foot light day. Fantastic and we had all the steep terrain to ourselves.

Good memories from Mountain High (and old Ski Sunrise).

Eric

MountainMonster

~0~
Skier
Reeeeally good snow the last 3 days at summit

R & T ...

river-z

searching for seasons
Skier
I'd love to come up to SS on Friday but I'm apprehensive about the drive...

TS
Pat AKA mustski

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I'd love to come up to SS on Friday but I'm apprehensive about the drive...
With the front side completely closed, the traffic has been heavier on the 38. I know you are in LA - so I don't know if it would work for you but the 18 through the Lucerne Valley has no traffic. I would expect chain controls will be in effect on Friday morning though. The storm is expected to continue on and off all day tomorrow and into the evening.

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We are headed up Saturday!

TS
Pat AKA mustski

Pat AKA mustski

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
FD3431CD-0FCA-4B90-AC85-ACCFC35119B8.jpeg There was quite a bit of snow in Some areas of the mountain and above my boot up top. This pic is on Log Chute. They got off to a slow start this morning and didn’t get the lifts rolling until almost 10:00. Lightening. Per usual, everything except chair 10 (and maybe 9?) was tracked out and getting cut up by 11:00. It is still snowing! The canyons over at Bear should be awesome tomorrow!

TS
Pat AKA mustski

Pat AKA mustski

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Currently the only way up to Big Bear Lake is the 18 through the Lucerne Valley. The 38 has been closed since yesterday morning and I have not heard when they plan to reopen it. BTW.. if any of you ever get stranded up here, we have a guest room.

MountainMonster

~0~
Skier
Currently the only way up to Big Bear Lake is the 18 through the Lucerne Valley. The 38 has been closed since yesterday morning and I have not heard when they plan to reopen it. BTW.. if any of you ever get stranded up here, we have a guest room.
Whats for dinner ? hump.gif

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Hmmm.... per google maps the 18 is less miles for us. I didn't realize that and had been planning on the 38. We are getting cabin fever down here;)

New2

Out on the slopes
Skier
Hmmm.... per google maps the 18 is less miles for us. I didn't realize that and had been planning on the 38. We are getting cabin fever down here;)
The 18 through Lucerne Valley? That's only going to be shorter if you live out in the desert. I normally like that drive for the scenery and lower crowds/stress... but if it's the only way in and out, it's going to be crowded. For the vast majority of Southern California residents it looks like access to Big Bear is going to be very difficult this weekend, and Snow Valley is planning on being closed through at least the weekend. Mountain High is offering free skiing for Snow Valley passholders and discounts for Ikon/Big Bear passholders. Good skiing, but they might be overrun with crowds.

TS
Pat AKA mustski

Pat AKA mustski

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The 38 has reopened and has R2 chain restrictions! But, judging by this morning, get up here early! The mountain was not crowded, but everyone was there 30 minutes before opening which caused the usual traffic snafus.

Also, Waterman is opening this weekend. http://www.mtwaterman.org
That only happens once in a blue moon!

Baldy was closed today due to "unexpected mechanical issues." I guess the guy with the shovel didn't show!

@New2 The Lucerne Valley is definitely the long way from Spokane. ;)

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The 18 through Lucerne Valley? That's only going to be shorter if you live out in the desert. I normally like that drive for the scenery and lower crowds/stress... but if it's the only way in and out, it's going to be crowded. For the vast majority of Southern California residents it looks like access to Big Bear is going to be very difficult this weekend, and Snow Valley is planning on being closed through at least the weekend. Mountain High is offering free skiing for Snow Valley passholders and discounts for Ikon/Big Bear passholders. Good skiing, but they might be overrun with crowds.

The 38 has reopened and has R2 chain restrictions! But, judging by this morning, get up here early! The mountain was not crowded, but everyone was there 30 minutes before opening which caused the usual traffic snafus.

Also, Waterman is opening this weekend. http://www.mtwaterman.org
That only happens once in a blue moon!

Baldy was closed today due to "unexpected mechanical issues." I guess the guy with the shovel didn't show!

@New2 The Lucerne Valley is definitely the long way from Spokane. ;)

The 38 takes me further east adding more miles, compared to the 15 to the 18.

I agree that access is going to be wonky. We are planning an EARLY :eek:morning departure.

Mt. High isn't a contender for our ski time; it wins for most crowded award.

Sponsor

Staff online