• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada 2018/2019 Southern California Thread - Big Bear, Mountain High, Baldy, Wrightwood, etc.

MountainMonster

~0~
Skier
The conditions have deteriorated drastically from this warm weather. They will have to close chair 7 soon and dome of the runs around 9 if we fon’t Get. Good food forll for blowing or a good storm. On the bright side, they’ve positioned blowed in the owls, ready to go when the weather is favorable.
Screen Shot 2018-12-22 at 4.15.16 AM.png

MountainMonster

~0~
Skier
colder weather forecast for this week......
Screen Shot 2018-12-22 at 5.53.06 AM.png

TS
Pat AKA mustski

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I am still in Oceanside, but it looks like there has been a good run of snow blowing. The bowl is opened at Summit and they plan to open chair 10 tomorrow; Silver is open at Bear and they are blowing Geronimo for the first time that I am aware of. To top it off, we may get another snow storm this coming weekend.

Mothertucker

Sweep Dodger
Skier
@Pat AKA mustski was on it, nearly every run is open here in Big Bear, conditions are very good. Only had one day this week, but it was fun. Yesterday I went over to Bear in the afternoon, never touched a groomer. IMG_20181231_150526438.jpg IMG_20181231_154340132.jpg

Last edited:
TS
Pat AKA mustski

Pat AKA mustski

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
We’re driving home on Saturday. I got a new ride - a Jeep Wrangler. I’ve driven a stick since I was a young’un but I want to get up the mountain ahead of the storm. I’m still adjusting to the handling of the Jeep - it’s a lot different than the Land Cruiser! We’ll be on the slopes next week, if anyone’s up.

TS
Pat AKA mustski

Pat AKA mustski

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Snow Summit skied really well today and I had a blast skiing terrain that didn’t even open last year! SS again tomorrow and then we’re hitting Bear on Wednesday. @socalgal and her family are coming up to ski Sunday and Monday. Anyone else want to meet up on either day?

Larry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Wish I could get up there but cant get off work. I plan to fight the crowd during MLK weekend

TS
Pat AKA mustski

Pat AKA mustski

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Wish I could get up there but cant get off work. I plan to fight the crowd during MLK weekend
It’s going to be snowing Sunday and Monday so not your type of days anyway. We’ll be down the mountain that weekend doing some work on our rental. Next time for sure. We ski weekends as well as weekdays so we’ll catch you sometime this season.

TS
Pat AKA mustski

Pat AKA mustski

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
So is it just me or are the lifties at Snow Summit 100X nicer than most of the lifties at Bear. The guy over at Geronimo was a real Richard Noggin. He kept slamming the chair into me- it hit so hard on my calf that I’m bruised!

liv2ski

Sierra Cement Inspector
Skier
I am a total Big Bear jong. Will this coming few days be a good call with the rain forecaster at the coast. I have the Ikon pass so I think it works at both SS and Bear Mtn. Where should I go for a day or two?

TS
Pat AKA mustski

Pat AKA mustski

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I am a total Big Bear jong. Will this coming few days be a good call with the rain forecaster at the coast. I have the Ikon pass so I think it works at both SS and Bear Mtn. Where should I go for a day or two?
The weather predictions keep flipping back and forth. It is snowing now. It started out wet but it is building and drying out a bit. Snow is predicted until about midnight and then starting again tomorrow morning. It could be a really fantastic day with morning powder and refills all day. Wednesday will still be ok in the morning but now they are using the R word for Wednesday afternoon and Thursday. The problem with the R word is that can happen at any time. The biggest issue with a storm in the local mountains, is road conditions and inexperienced drivers. Give yourself lots of time to drive up. Generally chains are only required to be carried by AWD or 4WD as long as you have snow tires.

Parking is usually good on the weekdays, but plan on getting there no later than 8:45 to get in the parking lot and avoid the shuttle.

Snow Summit is the better of the two resorts for non park action. If you like playing in the park, then Bear is probably a better bet. Bob and I will be skiing Summit tomorrow and Bear on Wednesday. I'll PM you my phone number so you can ping me if you come up. We'd be happy to show you around.

river-z

searching for seasons
Skier
Hoping hoping hoping for snow and not rain on Thursday.
Also hoping to come up on Friday.