• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada 2018/2019 Southern California Thread - Big Bear, Mountain High, Baldy, Wrightwood, etc.

TS
Pat AKA mustski

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm at snow summit today 12/14 if anyone is around & wants to meet up.
@Pat AKA mustski @agreen ?
First day on snow this season! :wag:
Orange jacket, orange helmet, say hi! :wave:
Drat! We are heading down the mountain today- for a few days. We’ll be skiing next Thursday and Friday and then not again until after the holiday crazies. I’ll PM you my phone number so you can reach me directly next time. The snow has been pretty good for this early in the season.

river-z

searching for seasons
Skier
I'm at snow summit today 12/14 if anyone is around & wants to meet up.
@Pat AKA mustski @agreen ?
First day on snow this season! :wag:
Orange jacket, orange helmet, say hi! :wave:
We probably skied past each other at some point today. I was there till 12:30 (orange jacket, blue helmet)
It was pretty good for mid-December and not too busy.

Rostapher

All Praise Ullr
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We probably skied past each other at some point today. I was there till 12:30 (orange jacket, blue helmet)
It was pretty good for mid-December and not too busy.

Ha, sorry I missed you @river-z. I'll try to post earlier next time.
It was pretty good! I found decent snow on chair 7. Almost no one was over there & it was much more consistent than the trails off the quads.

river-z

searching for seasons
Skier
My brother and I are thinking of going to SS on New Year's Day. I've heard it's pretty quiet that day, but perhaps others have personal experience? The obvious guess is that it's slower than usual in the morning and then picks up but maybe not?

pud

Putting on skis
Skier
My brother and I are thinking of going to SS on New Year's Day. I've heard it's pretty quiet that day, but perhaps others have personal experience? The obvious guess is that it's slower than usual in the morning and then picks up but maybe not?
I've skied Summit the last 3 or 4 years on New Years day. Not crowded in the morning. Get there early and leave early.The traffic going down the mountain after skiing is really bad because of all the families coming and going to play in the snow.

TS
Pat AKA mustski

Pat AKA mustski

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Agreed ^^^. The morning will be easy and it will start to get more crowded around 11:00. Chairs 3 (Ego) and 7 will be the least crowded. With luck, they’ll be able to get the bowl and chair 10 open. If so, that will be the ticket.

river-z

searching for seasons
Skier
Thanks for the intel!
Definitely hoping for more terrain soon. Lots of coverage but most of it is pretty thin.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I used to go down the back or desert ways when leaving big bear. The majority of the crowds seem to go down the main way. Once it took me 5 hours to get down. That was the last time i went that way. Other 2 ways are longer but the drive is better snow wise and people wise.

TS
Pat AKA mustski

Pat AKA mustski

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The big issue with driving down mountain is the road conditions. There are way too many “Darwin award” contenders who don’t believe they need chains! If there has been recent snow, open maps and check. We spent 8 hrs stuck in a dead stop jam and couldn’t even pull a u turn to head home. We generally use the 38- it peaks at a higher altitude but less bozos.

TS
Pat AKA mustski

Pat AKA mustski

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
If anyone is hitting BBMR and wants to meet up, send me a PM and I'll give you my phone number. Bob and I are always up to meeting up with new friends to spin some laps.

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We are headed up to SS for the day tomorrow. Anyone else going to be there?

TS
Pat AKA mustski

Pat AKA mustski

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The conditions have deteriorated drastically from this warm weather. They will have to close chair 7 soon and dome of the runs around 9 if we fon’t Get. Good food forll for blowing or a good storm. On the bright side, they’ve positioned blowed in the owls, ready to go when the weather is favorable.

Sponsor

Staff online