• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada 2018/2019 Southern California Thread - Big Bear, Mountain High, Baldy, Wrightwood, etc.

Larry

Out on the slopes
Skier
@Pat AKA mustski, thanks for the update. I hope Bob feels better. I think I decided to skip tomorrow myself. The traffic is terrible up here. I'm planning on rolling for home tomorrow around 10-11. I want to beat some of the traffic.

Today was pretty good though. 9/10 for today. They moved snow around on Olympic and it was skiing very well today. I was surprised how many people were going down it.

I stopped at 1 to come back to watch the 2nd half of Rams game. Snow was good but so was that game

Pat, have fun in Colorado

MountainMonster

~0~
Skier
Spring conditions at summit this week, hard pack/ granular in the am softening to a decent soft mess by noon.
Inversion layer ... 50° +

MountainMonster

~0~
Skier
Sprinkling in town/ parking lot @ 6am.....
close to 40f ...

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Rain Saturday (I'm told, I missed it) and a few inches of snow last night. I got up late to Big Bear to decent conditions. All the powder was gone by the afternoon but it was fun snow. Chance of snow overnight?

Eric

TS
Pat AKA mustski

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Both Weather Underground and NOAA are predicting a good amount of snow for BB tonight, tomorrow, and Tuesday! That sounds about right. I'm scheduled to return home late Wednesday, :facepalm: On the bright side, we'll be skiing Thursday and Friday.

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Not enough overnight snow, just a couple inches. Still it was enough to cover most of the boilerplate. There were a few areas that filled with wind blown that were really fun. It was quite windy with poor visibility. Rime ice built up on the goggles to make the visibility worse.

Bear Mountain Xpress was the only chair that went up the mountain today. So we ran a few laps on the various ways down until the stashes were chopped up and quit at lunch. Fun day. Not Japan though.

Why are drivers in the snow so lame? The road out of Big Bear is horrible.

Eric

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
15 was red in Victorville so 18 wasn't good. Google maps said it was 15 minutes faster to go the 330 crowded chain controlled 12mph way out (through Fawnskin) than 38. I came up 38 yesterday and it wasn't too bad but going against me looked really backed up so I believed Google. I wasn't headed to my lake near Mecca so I didn't go out through Yucca Valley - I might have but my road to the lake was probably washed out so I have to let things dry up a bit.

Of course, it started snowing heavily once I started driving. Good, Big Bear still needs more snow. The lake is low.

The rest of the roads to San Diego were terrible in heavy rain. I survived the drive...

Note, even with 4wd you need chains in the car.

Eric

New2

Out on the slopes
Skier
Baldy hopes to open all lifts tomorrow; Mountain High East opens Friday; Slide Peak, Mt. Waterman, and Mountain High North are looking promising for the weekend. Kind of makes me wish I was still in SoCal to experience some of that hard-to-catch terrain. Anyone else heading out to try something beyond the usual?

MountainMonster

~0~
Skier
Screen Shot 2019-02-14 at 6.46.19 AM.png
pukin' rain !!!

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yuck. I was hoping some of it would turn cold. Its pouring buckets here at our place. Two blocks (and a hill) over is under mandatory evacuation orders for flooding.

MountainMonster

~0~
Skier
Screen Shot 2019-02-14 at 8.32.22 AM.png

TS
Pat AKA mustski

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
121CFC0E-1401-425E-9906-5BDD0D405C8F.jpeg A65816EF-498D-41EB-8912-690D69469A05.jpeg AFF10AF2-B481-4D36-B8B4-908C77A3D57E.jpeg We had one of the worst rainstorms, I’ve Ever seen. Highways 330 and 38 have been closed all day - plenty of slides and flash flooding. These pics are on Big Bear Blvd this morning around 10:00. We braved the roads for chocolate cake! But, hey, Happy Valentines Day!

Mothertucker

Sweep Dodger
Skier
A friend sent me this picture of highway 243 north of Idyllwild, I hope the SB county roads fared better.:eek: image.jpg

Sponsor

Staff online