• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada 2018/2019 Southern California Thread - Big Bear, Mountain High, Baldy, Wrightwood, etc.

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Anyone else going to be up?

Rostapher

All Praise Ullr
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Skied Baldy yesterday (2/24) for the first time and conditions were pretty fantastic. Groomers were fairly firm with some soft bumps on the sides. Trees and bowls, which is 80% of what we skied, were chopped up some, but there were still a few fresh powder stashes (6-10” deep) and most everything was skiing pretty darn great. Despite the great conditions we only waited a few chairs to go up and later in the day it was basically ski on.

Only one lift was open for real skiing (chair 3) but there is such variety to explore with basically everything open, you can just choose your spot to drop in and go from there. There was still some rock exposure, but it was pretty minimal considering. They are also open to the bottom to ski back to the parking lot (experts only sign), and there is still decent skiing, but beware of way more rock exposure & gravel in the snow. I think this is where I did a number on one of my bases. Overall, it was one of the best ski days I’ve had in a while and only ~30 min from my house!

If you love some trees & bumps, get up to Baldy before it all melts away. Finally, my new slogan that I really think they should use. “Mt. Baldy, where EVERY day is retro day!”

70C0058E-3DCC-43AD-A84B-6D3FE2A0F39A.jpeg 8A61CA18-0B51-4E9C-8E8C-988059048BAD.jpeg D829B5FF-BCC1-4222-A890-DF0D181C0DB4.jpeg 0C3C4CC6-02CA-4C83-864F-E4D299B1C3C5.jpeg E0D1949F-AF3D-48F7-A9AE-134F8A17680B.jpeg F70CF2BE-79EB-43A0-B8B4-D71BD61CE18E.jpeg 8B654A39-6254-4897-96B1-6CE36C771022.jpeg

Last edited:

MountainMonster

~0~
Skier
Beautiful spring day at summit today.
cya tomorrow..

TS
Pat AKA mustski

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Beautiful spring day at summit today.
cya tomorrow..
We were at Bear today and going to Summit tomorrow. If you want to spin some laps, I will be in a red jacket and turquoise helmet and Bob will be in an orange jacket and red helmet.

Larry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Bob, will be the one falling in line before the chair gets there

Nice skiing with you again Pat and Bob. Had a fun day today. I stayed until 2 then headed home. I'm tired now but hoping to get up there again soon

TS
Pat AKA mustski

Pat AKA mustski

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Bob, will be the one falling in line before the chair gets there

Nice skiing with you again Pat and Bob. Had a fun day today. I stayed until 2 then headed home. I'm tired now but hoping to get up there again soon

Bob had a day yesterday! It was fun skiing with you too. Talk to your wife and see if we can figure out a weekend!

MountainMonster

~0~
Skier
We were at Bear today and going to Summit tomorrow. If you want to spin some laps, I will be in a red jacket and turquoise helmet and Bob will be in an orange jacket and red helmet.
Kept an eye out for ya, I stayed mostly 6 & 7.
Up for a few more days.

TS
Pat AKA mustski

Pat AKA mustski

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Kept an eye out for ya, I stayed mostly 6 & 7.
Up for a few more days.
We stuck around 6,7,and 10. I didn't see you so I figured you had seen me first! ;)
We'll be there again tomorrow. Same clothes. What are you wearing? I mean skiing tomorrow, not necessarily at the moment!

TS
Pat AKA mustski

Pat AKA mustski

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
@MountainMonster Thanks for meeting up for a couple of runs today.

We met a new friend today also. Donald is a pretty interesting guy - he's skied all over the world. Hopefully, he will show up here soon; I encouraged him to join up.

MountainMonster

~0~
Skier
Last nights rain didn’t help conditions today, still fun but a notch down from earlier this week.

Rostapher

All Praise Ullr
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I got a ticket for Mount Baldy for tomorrow (Friday). I've been in LA for a while and never been, so tomorrow's the day.
Hi @river-z, if you see this today, check out South bowl (skiers far left off chair 3). Snow was great last w/e, but there is a long traverse/cat track to get back to the lift. Let us know how the snow is, might go for a few hours tomorrow or Sunday.

Edit: after checking the weather, maybe not. R both days this w/e.:eek:

river-z

searching for seasons
Skier
It was a good, interesting day at Baldy. The snow is a bit thin and seems to have gone through the freeze-melt cycle a few times. Exposed areas are back to dirt. The conditions were kinda weird in the morning: mushy in the high traffic areas and hard/icy everywhere else. Fortunately it softened up in the afternoon and I had a good time skiing the terrain that goes through the trees. Definitely worth the visit especially since it’s so much closer to home for me.

Attachments

• 922FB0D5-8799-4B41-AC8E-5D78153D2B80.jpeg
    922FB0D5-8799-4B41-AC8E-5D78153D2B80.jpeg
    229.8 KB · Views: 6

river-z

searching for seasons
Skier
Hi @river-z, if you see this today, check out South bowl (skiers far left off chair 3). Snow was great last w/e, but there is a long traverse/cat track to get back to the lift. Let us know how the snow is, might go for a few hours tomorrow or Sunday.

Edit: after checking the weather, maybe not. R both days this w/e.:eek:
I saw that spot but not until my way out, looking back from the top of chair 2. During the day, I saw some faded tracks from people who had done the traverse but never actually saw anybody do it, and didn't really realize what that bowl was till too late. It looked pretty well covered with snow yet and I kind of regret not having gone over there. Oh well, gives me a reason to go back.

river-z

searching for seasons
Skier
Skied SS and BM today and it was good. The snow from last week is holding up nicely in the relatively cool weather. There was even some leftover chopped up fresh stuff on the ungroomed runs that wasn't too hard if it was in the sun.

Now if only I could get improved conditions on the 605 ...

MountainMonster

~0~
Skier
Beautiful so cal spring conditions at summit the last few days
Sunshine, hard & fast in the morning
Wet & sloppy funness by noon

Sponsor

Staff online