• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

nemesis256

Patrick
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've been having a blast at Snowbasin. You really do have the greatest snow on Earth here. You Utahns are so spoiled.

The visibility hasn't been great at times, but tomorrow should be great, forecasted to be sunnier. Haven't been to the strawberry area yet, hopefully that changes tomorrow....and that my legs can take it.

Last edited:

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
This week has been incredible. Those of you who skied multiple days, what was your favorite day?

The reason I ask is that I feel Monday was best, followed by Tuesday, then Wednesday (in BCC).

Monday I felt was best as it had a good overnight total and then refills all day long. Lift lines were not terrible. Amazing.

Tuesday had the top-ups but not quite the Monday refills.

Wednesday was a monster dump overnight, but no refills and much more crowds. Great Western at Brighton had been closed for days, and with about 6 feet of snow since it last opened it was deep. It was great, but I'm not sure if I'd have been able to tell the difference between 6 feet or 2-3 feet of fresh at that point. And it was a bit of a heavier snow. Great Western lines were 40 minutes and it skied out fast. Only bothered to wait in that line twice and then hit elsewhere.

Edit: Thursday- still wonderful, but not as good as Mon-Wed. A little fresh very early on from the night before, but skied out fast. The sun coming out was nice, but temps were really cold and made snow a little stickier (without a cold weather wax on my skis).

Others I spoke on the mountain seemed to generally agree with me, but what are others takes? As impressive as Wed total was, just goes to show you a lot more goes into it then just total inches reported.

Last edited:

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
We skied DV both W and Th. W was great because we got some easy untracked and even the cut up was good. By afternoon every run was a bump run. Soft but I definitely got tired. Yesterday you could find whatever you wanted. People are short hiking for fresh, bumps were around, as were groomers. The bonus was finding more mountain yesterday and some really fun runs off the looker's left. Not sure of the lift or run names.

This morning will be Alta Solitude for a bit then back to DV for the moguls World Champions.

Last edited:

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
This week has been incredible. Those of you who skied multiple days, what was your favorite day?
I have skied every day this week at Snowbasin. I think each day had “as good as it gets runs“ but Sunday was the best for me. Even though the snow was not as light, or deep as others it was fast and great skiing even as it got slightly tracked up. Without counting, I would say it was easily my biggest vertical day of the week on my favorite terrain.
Best fresh snow week of the season, for sure!

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
I was there Sunday, Monday at snowbird and Tuesday at Solitude. Monday was best of the 3 with free refills but Tuesday I got some deeper fresh tracks. Tuesday might have been the best if I didn’t have to leave before they opened the gates. :(

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
Awesome day on the mountain at PCMR. The crowds at the start of the day at the base were as bad as I've ever seen on non-holiday. Took an hour to get up and I thought why did I bother coming on a weekend. But once you got up, it really thinned out. Jupiter opened up around 11:30, and it was fantastic! Pow that was thigh high initially and then refreshed the remainder of the day.

But those initial crowds at the base! I fear for the future of Utah skiing.

Phelmut

German for Northeasterner
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Must resist the urge to book a flight back to SLC.:snow::snow::snow::daffy:

Edit: Hmmm...it’s only a 32 hour drive according to google maps. If I left now I could be there Sunday morning. :roflmao:
I could not resist, although i can't get out there until the 2nd week of March. Hopefully the snowmageddon continues.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Awesome day on the mountain at PCMR. The crowds at the start of the day at the base were as bad as I've ever seen on non-holiday. Took an hour to get up and I thought why did I bother coming on a weekend. But once you got up, it really thinned out. Jupiter opened up around 11:30, and it was fantastic! Pow that was thigh high initially and then refreshed the remainder of the day.

I'm afraid the secret is out. I used to say I was going to UT to ski and get a strange look. Now they'll usually ask if I'm going to Park City.

Shawn C.

Out on the slopes
Skier

A) Sounds like a great day! I’ve been here for the better part of 30 years and only skied Park City once (night skiing) and The Canyons (or was it Patk West then?) for a day.

B) As an Ogden resident who hasn’t skied anywhere in UT but Pow Mow & SB for a loooong time, how much of the crowding is, in your opinion, due to the ‘super passes?’

C) If Pow Mow ever gets that bad, and I’m sure it’s coming at some point, I may start dabbling in the backcountry.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
A) Sounds like a great day! I’ve been here for the better part of 30 years and only skied Park City once (night skiing) and The Canyons (or was it Patk West then?) for a day.

B) As an Ogden resident who hasn’t skied anywhere in UT but Pow Mow & SB for a loooong time, how much of the crowding is, in your opinion, due to the ‘super passes?’

C) If Pow Mow ever gets that bad, and I’m sure it’s coming at some point, I may start dabbling in the backcountry.
Superpasses are exacerbating the issue but my view is 2002 Olympics put Utah on the map and ever since it has become more crowded every year. Social media is also another big factor.

Unfortunately, I expect Utah resorts will only continue to get more crowded. I'm with you, Backcountry is going to continue to look more and more appealing with time. In the meantime, hit SB and PowMow hard while you can

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Y'all have persuaded me, we have a perfect storm here:

- IKON including novelty; psych. pressure of using days when a place is good.

- Vail...cashing it all in.

- The economy

- Big Snow...it's been years since it's been this big.

- Social Media - few secrets about snow; Hey look at me in UT in big snow.

- SLC population growth

- Fat skis

- Fat expense accounts

- Robert Redford. Nice guy but Downhill Racer, Sundance and Sundance?

- The Government Shutdown

- The Government Reopening

- Terrorism

- Globalism

- Racism

- Narcissism

- False Advertising

- Snowboarders. (shout out to @Started at 53).

- Backseat skiers (")

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Y'all have persuaded me, we have a perfect storm here:

- IKON including novelty; psych. pressure of using days when a place is good.

- Vail...cashing it all in.

- The economy

- Big Snow...it's been years since it's been this big.

- Social Media - few secrets about snow; Hey look at me in UT in big snow.

- SLC population growth

- Fat skis

- Fat expense accounts

- Robert Redford. Nice guy but Downhill Racer, Sundance and Sundance?

- The Government Shutdown

- The Government Reopening

- Terrorism

- Globalism

- Racism

- Narcissism

- False Advertising

- Snowboarders. (shout out to @Started at 53).

- Backseat skiers (")

No snowboards
No backseaters
No +2’s

Sponsor

Staff online