• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Several school districts closed today due to snow. I have never seen that happen here. I'm sure the ski resorts south of here will be busy! Tempting to take a snow day tomorrow with my daughter...
Which schools!!! :eek:

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Interlodged. Ight not Ski, might not be able to leave today.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
South of SLC mostly. And Park City.
Glad it’s not Weber, Davis and Morgan County
Cottonwoods closed, snowbasin will be a shit show again :doh:. I hope people put chains on

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Monday February 4th:
Dropping from AltaKey into Snowbird, I think it might be Keyhole:
2A434B13-C2D5-4D69-AA81-E48BABB69203.jpeg

224B4726-04FC-45C8-B4C4-0D6F11B29C15.jpeg

Funky thing about that second pic:
My wife (candy cane helmet, red jacket) was in front. She stopped at the corner to scope the rest of the line. I stopped at the top. I then told her to: “Go ahead”.
Unbeknownst to me, 3 others were approaching behind me, and they must have heard that statement, and thought it was for them.
That’s the guy in the blue jacket. Luckily they didnt run into my wife or bury her in sluff

Last edited:

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Glad it’s not Weber, Davis and Morgan County
Cottonwoods closed, snowbasin will be a shit show again :doh:. I hope people put chains on
I hear ya!
If Morgan had been out, I would have gladly taken the mini-me up skiing. She is becoming quite the little powder hound. I DID tell her if she turns in all her work early and gets her assignments, I'd take her on Friday. :)

And @Slim, that looks might fun!!

Chef23

Getting on the lift
Skier
I was at Park City/Canyons through Monday and it was awesome. I Thursday-Monday. Thursday/Friday were awesome bluebird days, Saturday was partly cloudy and it snowed on Sunday/Monday at least 8 inches each day. I ski in the east and Monday was one of the most fun I have had on the slopes. There was a bunch of untracked stuff particularly in the woods. I was on the wrong skis Rossi E88s but the last time I skied powder was on 205cm slalom skis. It was a blast and I was very sad to go home.

Chef23

Getting on the lift
Skier
Seeing you locals get excited about conditions is really getting me excited for my trip! As long as there are no flight problems due to the storm, I'll be skiing for 3 days at Snowbasin starting tomorrow.

Since this is my first time skiing over there with fresh snow, is there anything I should know about avalanche danger at the resort? Places to avoid? Or does patrol take care of that by closing trails?

If you stay on the open trails you will be fine. They don't open trails where there is risk. I was at Park City through Monday and they had stuff closed Sunday and Monday while they were bombing things then they got them opened.

marjoram_sage

newly addicted to skiing
Skier
I will be at Park City Canyons on Sat/Sun/Mon with a buddy. We are both lower intermediates. Looks like the fresh snow from this storm in Utah will be compacted by then. There is forecast of a few inches daily for those 3 days. My buddy is nervous about skiing in powder b/c he struggled at Kirkwood. I believe Kirkwood gets much more snow in a storm than Park City. Am I right that someone who struggled in deep fresh snow at Kirkwood doesn't have as much to worry about in Park City. My guess is we won't any problems on the groomed runs. Let me know if you guys have any advice. I certainly want to experience the thrill of powder but I don't have any experience. I have only been on fresh snow a couple of days in Colorado and it was only 2-3 inches.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I will be at Park City Canyons on Sat/Sun/Mon with a buddy. We are both lower intermediates. Looks like the fresh snow from this storm in Utah will be compacted by then. There is forecast of a few inches daily for those 3 days. My buddy is nervous about skiing in powder b/c he struggled at Kirkwood. I believe Kirkwood gets much more snow in a storm than Park City. Am I right that someone who struggled in deep fresh snow at Kirkwood doesn't have as much to worry about in Park City. My guess is we won't any problems on the groomed runs. Let me know if you guys have any advice. I certainly want to experience the thrill of powder but I don't have any experience. I have only been on fresh snow a couple of days in Colorado and it was only 2-3 inches.

Rent him some fat, rockered skis if it’s still deep.

Reactions: Ogg

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Was interlodged this morning at the Goldminers Daughter. The canyon road has been closed all day so I could not get to the airport. So... we had a country club day at Alta, and I rescheduled my flight home for tomorrow. Hopefully I can get down the canyon tonight... Curiously, the snow was quite heavy today. Poor me.

Daniel

Out on the slopes
Skier
As of early this morning, Solitude had received 64" in the past four days (7" + 12" + 19" + 26"). Of course, lots more fell during the day and a modest amount is forecast to fall this evening and overnight. More is on the way for this weekend and, possibly, beyond. I strongly suspect it will be complete insanity in the canyons this weekend. This winter is very reminiscent of numerous winters in the mid-to-late 80s, 90s, and 00s with one huge difference: the sheer volume of people. LCC was closed all day and BCC closed at 11:00 a.m. to upbound traffic for the remainder of the day, with night operations at Brighton cancelled. Quite a bit of terrain remained closed at Solitude today; understandable, given the quantity of snowfall received this week. My snowboard legs/muscles are toast, my tele ski legs/muscles are cooked, and my parallel ski legs/muscles are bordering on the edge of exhaustion. I'm not sure I can rally tomorrow without an extensive rest: a twelve-hour sleep is scheduled for tonight.

BobMc

In line for the tram
Skier
Several school districts closed today due to snow. I have never seen that happen here. I'm sure the ski resorts south of here will be busy! Tempting to take a snow day tomorrow with my daughter...

My daughter looked it up today, it was 12 years ago we last had snow day. My neighborhood was hit with a foot, not too many people were leaving our streets today. I decided last night to not mess with the LCC today, instead spent most of the morning in my car trying to get up the BCC. By the time we made it up today Solitude (My preferred destination (free)) was road parked up and down, no spots available. We ended up at Brighton and got a spot just past Great Western on the right side of the one way road.

Great Western opened today after being closed the last two days, to say it was deep would be an understatement. Steep shots were giving up over the head turns. It was too cold for pics, after skiing in the 30's lately it was around 10-15ish.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

The snow won't be compacted. Just go hunting, this weekend should be AWESOME. With as cold as it's forecast to be, the snow, even tracked out, will be dry and light and you'll just blast through it. A few inches daily will be perfect snow for your buddy to get a touch of the feel for powder (I still struggle in foot+, so tell him to literally be patient.) As in, EXTRA patience in your turns is your friend in powder. All the rules of good skiing still apply--ankles closed at all times, hands and chest down the hill, but, it does affect your fore aft much more so.

And yes, the groomed runs with some fresh on top are a hoot. They will probably turn into pushed around piles in a hurry, though, so again, PATIENCE.

Have fun out there, folks. We didn't get much of this last winter!

TS
blackke17

blackke17

I'd rather be at Alta
Skier
wow, were the roads a disaster in the morning. it amazed me to see all these clowns in sports cars driving around in a blizzard. stretch on 6200 right off 215 was pure comedy. dozens of cars stuck on the hill.

Anyway, we had to call an audible on our Alta plans and headed up to Solly. glad i got up around 5 , we managed to roll into the lots just before 9 - early skiing as others said was seriously crowded with limited terrain open. found out Powderhorn was getting ready to go so we caught some seriously deep stuff up there for a couple of runs. face shot city! parking lot started emptying out early . we spent the afternoon over on Summit and blasting freshies in the headwall forest and corner chute area. We got flattened out so many times back behind that lake but it was certainly worth it!!!
IMG_1119.JPG

Itinerant skier

Out on the slopes
Skier
PowMow was amazing yesterday. Knee deep freshies all day. Lousy visibility and wind up top of Hidden Lake, but down anywhere near the trees was awesome.

Attachments

• IMG_20190206_140401363.jpg
    IMG_20190206_140401363.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 4

Sponsor

Staff online