• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Winter Storm Warning in effect for the next 48 hours for the Wasatch.

Winter Storm Warning

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Salt Lake City UT
111 PM MST Mon Feb 4 2019

UTZ007>010-051215-
/O.NEW.KSLC.WS.W.0005.190205T0000Z-190207T0100Z/
Wasatch Mountains I-80 North-Wasatch Mountains South of I-80-
Western Uinta Mountains-Wasatch Plateau/Book Cliffs-
Including the cities of Woodruff, Randolph, Alta, Brighton,
Mirror Lake Highway, and Scofield
111 PM MST Mon Feb 4 2019

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 5 PM THIS AFTERNOON TO
6 PM MST WEDNESDAY...

* WHAT...Heavy snow expected. Total snow accumulations of 10 to 18
inches expected. Winds gusting as high as 45 mph tonight and
tapering off Tuesday afternoon.

* WHERE...Wasatch Mountains I-80 North, Wasatch Mountains South
of I-80, Western Uinta Mountains and Wasatch Plateau/Book
Cliffs.

* WHEN...From 5 PM this afternoon to 6 PM MST Wednesday. There
will be a period of lighter snow early Tuesday morning before
increasing Tuesday afternoon.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Travel could be very difficult. Snow
covered roads are possible Tuesday evening through Wednesday
evening.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...”

Not necessarily a big deal, just haven’t seen it for awhile.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Even better is it's a colder storm. I'll definitely be taking some after work laps this week.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I have friends in town and took Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday off. Five day weekend with enough snow for all of them!
Shut up. Just shut up!
I had friends in town LAST week and took Thursday and Friday off. Timing off by a week!

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Do I have to shut up also? Getting fresh snow from yesterday through tomorrow. My friends and I have been pretty happy. And tired.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Do I have to shut up also? Getting fresh snow from yesterday through tomorrow. My friends and I have been pretty happy. And tired.
Yes, yes, you need to shut up! :D

Enjoy it. I know how hard it is to time a trip for good snow.

nemesis256

Patrick
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Seeing you locals get excited about conditions is really getting me excited for my trip! As long as there are no flight problems due to the storm, I'll be skiing for 3 days at Snowbasin starting tomorrow.

Since this is my first time skiing over there with fresh snow, is there anything I should know about avalanche danger at the resort? Places to avoid? Or does patrol take care of that by closing trails?

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Looking forward to getting some laps in at DV. Leaving Reno in a few minutes. Should have some interesting travel. Funny thing is the local areas around Tahoe got between 3 and 6 feet from Sunday through last night. Most were closed yesterday so there should be some epic snow reports coming in on the Tahoe thread.

TS
blackke17

blackke17

I'd rather be at Alta
Skier
to quote my favorite weather guy " Sunday was good, yesterday was great, today will be excellent, Wednesday will be straight baller, Thursday will be leftovers and a ton of rope drops! "

Alta tomorrow - Magic J's have been getting alot of use this season- loving it!!!

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Seeing you locals get excited about conditions is really getting me excited for my trip! As long as there are no flight problems due to the storm, I'll be skiing for 3 days at Snowbasin starting tomorrow.

Since this is my first time skiing over there with fresh snow, is there anything I should know about avalanche danger at the resort? Places to avoid? Or does patrol take care of that by closing trails?
Patrol and Mountain Ops take care of it. You should be in luck--most of the mountain was closed yesterday and is so far closed today. When this storm clears out, it's going to be GOOD. You might catch the tram when it opens, or the gates drop at various places particularly on Strawberry. I'll be up all day on Friday. Wishing it could be Thursday, but, work...

Shawn C.

Out on the slopes
Skier
to quote my favorite weather guy " Sunday was good, yesterday was great, today will be excellent, Wednesday will be straight baller, Thursday will be leftovers and a ton of rope drops! "

Alta tomorrow - Magic J's have been getting alot of use this season- loving it!!!

Evan is great.

Glad the mountains are getting destroyed! Have fun out there!

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
I’m sitting in the SLC airport waiting for my delayed flight home after 3 powder days and I don’t want to leave. Today I skied Solitude for the first time I got some fresh tracks in some of the deepest powder I have ever skied. I had my only crashes of the 6 days I was here including one single ejection and one impressive double ejection face plant. Unfortunately they never opened most of the gates so I only got a taste of the place.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Anytime there is a heavy rate of snowfall like some of the periods we had today, I would certainly be wary on anything with or connected to a steep slope. Many of the roped avalanche control areas will not be open till Thursday or maybe even Friday. When they are open & you choose to ski that terrain, make sure you enter through the gates and also stay alert to what is going on around you. Once you are in these areas the ski area boundary is rarely roped & only marked with red signs along the ridges. Anything outside the ski area boundary should be considered backcountry with complicated topography. I imagine on a scale of 1 to 5 avalanche danger will be rated around a 4 for the next few days outside the boundaries.

Today was some of the highest quality powder skiing I’ve had in years. ogsmile

Daniel

Out on the slopes
Skier
As of this morning, Solitude had received 38" of snow in the past 3 days. As of this morning, 22" - 36" of snow are forecast to fall during the next 2.5 days. Today the car parks were full by around 11:20 a.m. and parking up and down the canyon road ensued. Very uncommon for a Tuesday. Conditions were stellar all day long.

I’m sitting in the SLC airport waiting for my delayed flight home after 3 powder days and I don’t want to leave. Today I skied Solitude for the first time I got some fresh tracks in some of the deepest powder I have ever skied. I had my only crashes of the 6 days I was here including one single ejection and one impressive double ejection face plant. Unfortunately they never opened most of the gates so I only got a taste of the place.

Quite a few gates opened between 1:00 and 1:30 p.m. A mad feeding frenzy quickly materialized shortly thereafter.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
As of this morning, Solitude had received 38" of snow in the past 3 days. As of this morning, 22" - 36" of snow are forecast to fall during the next 2.5 days. Today the car parks were full by around 11:20 a.m. and parking up and down the canyon road ensued. Very uncommon for a Tuesday. Conditions were stellar all day long.

Quite a few gates opened between 1:00 and 1:30 p.m. A mad feeding frenzy quickly materialized shortly thereafter.

That was right after I left to catch my flight that ended up being delayed. :doh:

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Several school districts closed today due to snow. I have never seen that happen here. I'm sure the ski resorts south of here will be busy! Tempting to take a snow day tomorrow with my daughter...

Sponsor

Staff online