Utah 2018-19 Utah Weather and Stoke

Discussion in 'General Resort Discussion' started by blackke17, Oct 5, 2018.

1. blackke17

blackke17 I'd rather be at Alta Skier

2018-10-05 09_12_39-Alta Ski Area (@AltaSkiArea) _ Twitter.jpg.png
    First snow of the season last night at Alta - wont be long now!!!

Lorenzzo, BC., Phelmut and 5 others like this.
  2. BC.

BC. NEPA ShopRat/Skier Skier

If you are going to start the thread....go back and change the title to 2018-2019 Utah Weather and Stoke. It will be like all the other regional threads and easier to the eye in locating the thread.

3. Thread Starter
    TS
    blackke17

blackke17 I'd rather be at Alta Skier

perhaps a moderator has the ability to amend the title, i either dont have the skills or the option to do so.

BC. likes this.
  4. Tricia

Tricia The Velvet Hammer Admin Pugski Ski Tester

I got it.
    Were there more than one Utah thread last year?

5. Shawn C.

Shawn C. Getting on the lift Skier

40 degrees F on the Ogden bench and the steady rain continues. Can’t wait to check out the resort web cams tomorrow!

6. Eddie S

Eddie S Putting on skis Skier

I'm not there to see it, but OpenSnow reported a dumping at Brian Head over the weekend - a foot or more, I believe.

7. AmyPJ

AmyPJ Let's go! Pugski Ski Tester

Trying to not get it into my head that this will mean a great winter here this year, but it's hard not to giggle at the snow outside on my grass!

8. Started at 53

Started at 53 You can call me Jay Skier

This at 6600’ outside the house this morning 4BA94FC5-6283-4E73-ACAF-4DA0035D85EF.jpeg

I am sure Deer Valley got dumped on last night. I can’t imagine what Alta and Bird got

Lorenzzo likes this.
  9. Started at 53

DV Mountain Cam photos
    Silver Lake
    FBE529EA-BDC4-4842-A188-FE2BED4720AB.jpeg

Snow Park
    E8AE4438-A846-4B40-9FEB-7378103E9869.jpeg

10. Gentry

Gentry Booting up Skier

Trip booked for Jan 19 to 23rd so I plan on monitoring this thread closely. ogsmile

Plan is to do a 3 Day Ski City pass and hop between Alta and Snowbird exclusively. Hotel in Midvalley.

Always down to meet up with any cool people willing to guide a Midwestern boy around the big, scary mountains.

blackke17 and Shawn C. like this.
  11. RikkiBobbi

RikkiBobbi Booting up Skier

If one was looking to book a trip to the SLC area, what week/month would be the closest thing to 'sure thing' for good snow conditions? Understand it can't necessarily be predicted, but certainly there are better times than others.

12. Lorenzzo

Lorenzzo Right On The Line Skier

^^^ Hmm...been there 5.5 winters and the best month might actually have been different every year. I'll have to think about that. But running the standard deviation in my head while drinking coffee I'd say...February,...wait no January....um March?

13. RikkiBobbi

RikkiBobbi Booting up Skier

Yeah I know it's tough to say. Trying to plan/juggle a few different trips so looking for any discriminating information to help me decide when to plan which for.

14. dbostedo

dbostedo Asst. Gathermeister-- Jackson Hole 2020 Moderator Team Gathermeister

Statistically, you can answer it. Looking at http://bestsnow.net and http://zrankings.com (which uses some bestsnow data) gives you a bunch of historical info.

Here's the Bestsnow page for Utah : http://www.bestsnow.net/utahnet.htm which includes the odds of a 6"+ powder day, but doesn't break things down by month.

And here are the ZRankings snow graphs for Alta, the first showing the best coverage/depth, and the second showing the relative snow comparison to other resorts.

upload_2018-10-27_11-53-10.png

Of course, Alta ranks number 1 for snow, so the first graph reaches 100%, and the second is pegged at 100%. Looking at Snowbasin gives a different picture :

upload_2018-10-27_11-54-40.png

Now this doesn't quite address conditions, since that will depend on how recently snow actually fell, and how light it is, which is impossible to predict accurately more than a few days in advance. But it does say when the most terrain is likely to be open, and when there should be the best chances of getting snow.

15. Lorenzzo

That kinda looks like January through March to me.

cosmoliu likes this.
  16. Kyle

Kyle Getting on the lift Skier

FWIW, I would say the last week of January to mid February is probably your best bet for all the Salt Lake and Ogden area resorts. If you are focusing on the Cottonwood resorts (Alta, Snowbird, Brighton, and Solitude) you could push that out to the end of February.

17. dbostedo

dbostedo Asst. Gathermeister-- Jackson Hole 2020 Moderator Team Gathermeister

Yep, and until we get any better indicators that's probably about as accurate as you can be. Some of the long range forecasts coming out might help, but it's still a crap shoot.

Lorenzzo likes this.
  18. Lorenzzo

^^^ When I added the fact that I may not be in UT much this winter to the European Model it started smoking and blowing tubes.

19. Started at 53

You can always hedge your bets by skiing resorts with great snowmaking in the event of poor snow for a trip planned in advance

Lorenzzo likes this.
  20. Lorenzzo

Hmm....hedging one's bets sounds like a good idea.