• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Only Little Cat is open at Snowbasin right now. I've never seen in my 5 seasons here so many wind hold days on a large portion of the mountain. Strawberry has been closed a ton. It must be bad for Wildcat to not even be running. I'm sure avy control isn't helping. 17 inches is a lot of snow, and it's about to turn to rain :( which won't help matters.

I'm not sure WHAT to expect this weekend. Rain, then much colder and another 5-10 inches of snow on top. Sounds like a recipe for really dangerous avy conditions.

Not gonna lie, I prefer the storms that drop 6 to 10 inches, then blow out of here for a few days. But, the massive snowpack is a great thing for our drought!

nemesis256

Patrick
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Wow! I'm happy my trip was last week and not this week.

What happens to the snow in Utah when it rains on top? Does it get New England nasty when it freezes?

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor

What happens to the snow in Utah when it rains on top? Does it get New England nasty when it freezes?

Yes, it can get New England nasty when it freezes.
Didn’t really rain much even at the bottom at 6400 feet yesterday. Another 6 inches overnight should partially heal the ruts left from yesterday along with high winds again this morning & the fact that much of upper mountain was closed yesterday.

Another chuckle this morning as the website says light breezes.

upload_2019-2-15_7-33-33.jpeg

Maybe they know something I don’t and it will die before anyone gets there.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
That's good to hear. thanks. I am an early bird and usually one of the firsts on the lift. My kids hate it but have no choice when they are skiing with me.

Where on Long Island are you? I grew up in Farmingdale and lived in Huntington before I moved to NC.

I am a Plainview boy myself (right next to Hicksville), and my cousins grew up in Huntington Station.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

Yes.
The lower half of the mountain was rather, er, um, firm this morning.
The upper mountain groomed was buttery delight even though I couldn't see any of it (super low-vis.) Some off piste was buttery delight. Lower off piste was hold on to your hats because it's going to change every 10 feet!
The wind was insane and getting worse, the visibility at the time combined with the...weird snow, made me call it a day at 10:30.

To those who traveled here for Utah snow...I apologize. IMO worst snow conditions all season. But, we've had a stellar season, with consistently cool/cold temps and fairly regular storms. I would imagine the LCC/BCC resorts' snow is much better, thanks to the altitude.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
This place is an amazing escape from the little cottonwood daily hustle. 50 dollar walk up Haha. Snow is rolling in as I type this. Tahoe taught me this kinda snow can be super fun. View attachment 65721
REALLY tempted to head up there on Sunday. I have a quiver of Beaver Mountain stickers (they are moderately inappropriate) and have a funny story about a Yakima roof box that was covered in stickers...that REALLY needed an "I like it on top-Beaver Mountain" sticker. :roflmao:

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Nice pic, but I think you two are looking the wrong direction on a rain-challenged weekend. Not much farther drive the other direction, Eagle Point's base is higher than the summit at Beav, and it's even more off the beaten track crowds-wise.
Um, the Beav is an hour from me, Eagle Point is 4. Targhee is 4, Jackson is 4.5, Big Sky is 5.5. I'm definitely not driving the wrong direction.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
High speed surfing snow today for me with the wind buffing it out every lap, Yippee!
Only the very bottom, final pitch seemed to be giving folks fits. I just made the exit to Orson’s Park at that point which had an inch of cream over smooth groomer. Don’t know if Strawberry ever opened :huh: ?
30K’ vertical by 1pm on a busy Friday is a pretty good morning for me. ogsmile
I got some of that buff, but the lack of vis at the same time just threw me. I have GOT to get more comfy skiing the trees over on JP for visibility reasons.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Tahoe taught me this kinda snow can be super fun.
Helps to be from Tahoe, gives an appreciation for the word “Variable”
High speed surfing snow today for me with the wind buffing it out every lap, Yippee!
Only the very bottom, final pitch seemed to be giving folks fits. I just made the exit to Orson’s Park at that point which had an inch of cream over smooth groomer. Don’t know if Strawberry ever opened :huh: ?
30K’ vertical by 1pm on a busy Friday is a pretty good morning for me. ogsmile

nemesis256

Patrick
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Another chuckle this morning as the website says light breezes.
Saw that too, they claimed the same thing on my last day at Snowbasin. Definitely not accurate. No wind holds but it was very windy on the top half. It was hard to dress correctly that day. Sometimes hot from working out other times I was freezing.

Daniel

Out on the slopes
Skier

No rain at Solitude, which means the other Cottonwood Canyon resorts probably didn't experience rainfall either. Last week was outstanding but this week didn't exactly disappoint. Quite a bit more snowfall but lots of wind to usher it in on several of the days. Tons of free refills but also lots of delayed and non-existent lift and gate openings. Today was big fun. The car parks were full by 10:20 a.m. and parking along the canyon road ensued thereafter. With another storm on our doorstep just in time for the holiday weekend, I suspect it will be utter madness in the Cottonwoods during the next three days.

Sponsor

Staff online