• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

JohnL

Working and turning
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think the tipping point was cheap passes

Population growth and growing popularity of off-piste skiing. And better pow skis. And web sites like this. And MCP for Snowbasin.

Even though I’ve always been an EC’er, I had dozens of trips to SLC in the early-Mid aughts. It’s a lot more crowded everywhere on pow days. I remember when Solitude was aptly named and Pow Mow was undiscovered. Lesser so Snowbasin. But news travels fast. And the facilities at SB were bound to be discovered.

Nowadays, there are a lot more locals skiing hard until 11 and then leaving for work. SLC and Ogden and Eden/Huntsville and the rest of the valley have a lot more people.

A lot more people know of the ‘off the beaten track’ areas.

As a vacationer, I rely on this: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Predator_satiation

Good snow years/storm cycles where people can only take off so many days. Or best, sneaky late afternoon snow which piles up and the powder locusts wait until the next day.

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
MCP does it for me, had not skied at SB for many years - had an early drop-off at SLC and with LCC closed for control work, decided to keep driving N and use a day. Was on about the 4/5 Gondi - good day for sure.

BobMc

In line for the tram
Skier
Solitude was pretty nice today, much quieter than it has been lately. UPD was stationed at the bottom of the canyon and was stopping vehicles to check for tires and 4wd. He stopped me and started asking if I had X drive, I turned the wheel and showed him the snows and he waved me on.

No road parking today at Solitude, the lot was close to full but never spilled out. My rope drop skills have been hit and miss lately, today I was on point. We spun a couple laps on Eagle and Powderhorn to start the day and then went up Apex to check on the Summit. A small line-up had formed, we joined the line and it wasn’t too long before they started loading. I had a pass at Solitude for 12 seasons and have a pretty firm grasp of the terrain. Hit up my usual corner of the Headwall and then to Ortovox and had some great turns. We hit up Scree Slope a couple times and then waited up top for Honeycomb. It wasn’t long before patrol came out and opened the West facing side of the canyon. Most (98%) of the folks hit the gut punch gate, I was about 10 people back on the sidestep up the ridge. Went out to my favorite spot and made high speed turns in deep pow.

Looking down Ortovox.

AF916987-75AE-435A-98E9-C7388E104AD8.jpeg

Scree Slope goodness.

AD59B554-2DFE-4DA1-8D41-7D426098E525.jpeg

Scenic from the top of Eagle.

BA7E200D-6FA3-4B8E-971A-B91D02FB1F59.jpeg

Daniel

Out on the slopes
Skier
Solitude was pretty nice today, much quieter than it has been lately. UPD was stationed at the bottom of the canyon and was stopping vehicles to check for tires and 4wd. He stopped me and started asking if I had X drive, I turned the wheel and showed him the snows and he waved me on.

No road parking today at Solitude, the lot was close to full but never spilled out. My rope drop skills have been hit and miss lately, today I was on point. We spun a couple laps on Eagle and Powderhorn to start the day and then went up Apex to check on the Summit. A small line-up had formed, we joined the line and it wasn’t too long before they started loading. I had a pass at Solitude for 12 seasons and have a pretty firm grasp of the terrain. Hit up my usual corner of the Headwall and then to Ortovox and had some great turns. We hit up Scree Slope a couple times and then waited up top for Honeycomb. It wasn’t long before patrol came out and opened the West facing side of the canyon. Most (98%) of the folks hit the gut punch gate, I was about 10 people back on the sidestep up the ridge. Went out to my favorite spot and made high speed turns in deep pow.

UPD was not permitting any road parking today and had at least one officer patrolling back and forth between the two Solitude bases to prevent it, according to a Solitude shuttle driver. I was told the "parking lot full" signs were posted at the entrance to the Moonbeam car park around 10:30 a.m. Yesterday there were a crazy amount of vehicles road parked at Solitude and the car hauling companies had a field day. When I left at 4:30 p.m. to thumb a ride down the canyon, I saw many distressed individuals wandering around with their gear along the canyon road or animatedly conversing with UPD canyon patrol officers. Several approached me asking if I knew anything about the ski bus because their vehicles had been hauled away. I had to tell them they were likely in for a long wait, as the buses were leaving Brighton with "white line" loads and not even bothering to pull into Moonbeam, where there was a huge amount of people waiting inside and outside of the bus shelter. From what I've been told, the aggregate amount of the cost of a ticket from UPD and the fee to the car hauling company sums up to many hundreds of dollars, making for a very expensive and inconvenient day at the mountain. There was an electronic sign on a trailer along the upbound lane of the canyon road less than a mile from Wasatch Blvd. warning potential violators yesterday morning. It's been situated there on an increasingly frequent basis but enforcement up at Solitude has not been consistent. Yesterday, people were leaving their vehicles in obvious illegal locations, including the entire right-hand-turn lane leading to the entrance to the base at the village. The road was completely snow covered when I arrived just before 8:00 a.m., so perhaps those were out-of-town people in rental cars who were clueless as to where they were actually parking. This scenario seems to be the new norm on weekends, holidays, and powder days.

HardDaysNight

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Awesome day on the mountain at PCMR. The crowds at the start of the day at the base were as bad as I've ever seen on non-holiday. Took an hour to get up and I thought why did I bother coming on a weekend. But once you got up, it really thinned out. Jupiter opened up around 11:30, and it was fantastic! Pow that was thigh high initially and then refreshed the remainder of the day.

But those initial crowds at the base! I fear for the future of Utah skiing.

It was a perfect shit storm for crowds. FIS World Champs scheduled, Canyons side not open, only Payday running from the base, powder available, every Southwest flight into SLC completely full. I was on an early chair, skied a couple laps on Mikey’s (untouched) and came down via Silver Skis which was thigh deep in smooth wind buff and untracked. Then I saw the hordes at Payday! Hells, bells and buckets of blood!

One might ask why the Canyons side seems to be non-operational on a regular basis. The answer you’ll get is: wind. I’ll point out that when Talisker operated the Canyons it didn’t seem necessary to close the resort at the hint of a zephyr. Of course they couldn’t afford to do so!

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Update #2:
Less fantasy, more reality from the UAC...

icon_snowflake.svg
Weather and Snow

Temperatures this morning in the Ogden mountains range through the 20's F, but you may not notice it as the winds are grabbing the headlines. Strong winds out of the south/southwest are blowing at the mid and upper elevations, with hourly averages in the 20's and 30's mph. Gusts are in the 40's and 50's mph, with some stations above 9000' reporting gusts in the 60's and 70's mph. No new snow has been reported overnight.
Snowfall is expected for today, especially this afternoon, with 4-6” possible by later today. Winds will continue to blow out of the southwest, averaging in the 20’s mph at mid elevations and 30’s at upper elevations. Gusts will be in the 40’s at mid elevations, and 60’s at upper elevations. Temperatures will be in the 20’s F.
Rain at lower elevations will be possible, with a rain/snow line hovering at about 7000'.
Strong winds and heavy, dense snow is forecasted overnight into Thursday, with significant accumulations possible. Temperatures will be warming on Thursday, with a rising rain/snow line.
Expect rising avalanche hazard over the next few days, with an elevated hazard persisting through the holiday weekend.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Wind refreshed Tuesday morning ...
View attachment 65566

One & done though as the tram closed for wind right after the first run. This slope had been tracked out during the Monday powder frenzy so I was pleasantly surprised to find it smoothed out again. JP Chair closed a short time later.
Got to Strawberry just as MB Cirque opened for the first time since this last storm series began. 5 laps there till it too went on windhold just before 1pm.
The wind is still up this morning as the next storm makes its approach. Probably a wet one at Snowbasin’s low elevations. Should be good in the cottonwoods.

UPDATE: Just looked at the SB website & had to chuckle at the daily marketing spin...

:huh:

It is already 35F at mid mountain with wind gusts at almost 70mph on Mt. Ogden.
steady temperatures around 28 = Give or take 10 degrees, more give than take.
breezy = Windhold
Come on up and don’t forget your storm gear! = Raincoat & plenty of cash to spend in our luxurious lodge.
:doh:

I think I will stay home for awhile ;).
I was really tempted to have the powder flu yesterday morning, and that's why! Glad you got the good stuff.
And yes, I'll be sitting out until Friday. This weekend promises to be a sh*tshow with a holiday and fresh powder. Lucky me, I am in the Divas and get first ups on Saturday morning, so we'll see where we can go for an hour. Last weekend, avy control kept us on the "Safe routes" meaning, Sweet Revenge. Hopefully this week we can at least hit some Pork Barrel/119 action, or Beaver Slide--something off-piste ahead of the hordes.

Woodsrider427

Getting on the lift
Skier
UPD was not permitting any road parking today and had at least one officer patrolling back and forth between the two Solitude bases to prevent it, according to a Solitude shuttle driver. I was told the "parking lot full" signs were posted at the entrance to the Moonbeam car park around 10:30 a.m. Yesterday there were a crazy amount of vehicles road parked at Solitude and the car hauling companies had a field day. When I left at 4:30 p.m. to thumb a ride down the canyon, I saw many distressed individuals wandering around with their gear along the canyon road or animatedly conversing with UPD canyon patrol officers. Several approached me asking if I knew anything about the ski bus because their vehicles had been hauled away. I had to tell them they were likely in for a long wait, as the buses were leaving Brighton with "white line" loads and not even bothering to pull into Moonbeam, where there was a huge amount of people waiting inside and outside of the bus shelter. From what I've been told, the aggregate amount of the cost of a ticket from UPD and the fee to the car hauling company sums up to many hundreds of dollars, making for a very expensive and inconvenient day at the mountain. There was an electronic sign on a trailer along the upbound lane of the canyon road less than a mile from Wasatch Blvd. warning potential violators yesterday morning. It's been situated there on an increasingly frequent basis but enforcement up at Solitude has not been consistent. Yesterday, people were leaving their vehicles in obvious illegal locations, including the entire right-hand-turn lane leading to the entrance to the base at the village. The road was completely snow covered when I arrived just before 8:00 a.m., so perhaps those were out-of-town people in rental cars who were clueless as to where they were actually parking. This scenario seems to be the new norm on weekends, holidays, and powder days.

Reading stories like this make me (unfortunately) hope for no snow when we head out there in a couple of weeks. And you're saying it's like this on a normal Sunday too? Our first day skiing will be a Sunday and I had someone recommend Solitude as the place to go for the least likely chance of crowds.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Reading stories like this make me (unfortunately) hope for no snow when we head out there in a couple of weeks. And you're saying it's like this on a normal Sunday too? Our first day skiing will be a Sunday and I had someone recommend Solitude as the place to go for the least likely chance of crowds.
Just get up there early and you will be fine.

Reactions: BC.

Woodsrider427

Getting on the lift
Skier
Just get up there early and you will be fine.

That's good to hear. thanks. I am an early bird and usually one of the firsts on the lift. My kids hate it but have no choice when they are skiing with me.

Where on Long Island are you? I grew up in Farmingdale and lived in Huntington before I moved to NC.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
I love it when a plan works out. Fluctuating temperatures in the morning began to drop around 12:30 PM. Pulled into the parking lot around 1 PM and it was Nuking!
B7484F65-D65F-4EAE-87D0-3111A9D02074.jpeg

Howling winds but JP made it till about 3:15 before closing. About the windiest I had ever ridden that chair as it seemed the 55 mph gusts were coming from all different directions. Skiing just got better and better as the wind & high rate of snowfall kept refilling.
We will see what tomorrow brings as temperatures are forecast to rise.

Last edited:

Daniel

Out on the slopes
Skier

The recommendation of Solitude as a place to go for the least likely chance of crowds was accurate until this season. Solitude was acquired by Alterra last August and is the only local resort where the IKON pass is valid for more than either five or seven days per season, depending on which IKON pass one possesses. Weekends are definitely busy and the car parks have been filling up quickly. I can't predict with certainty what awaits you a couple weeks from now but, given what's been occurring for the last many weekends and our deep snowpack, I'd say there's a high likelihood the new norm will prevail. As Ogg advised, I would arrive early and would be prepared for a possible time consuming trip up canyon. This season I've noticed peak traffic flows in the canyon are happening earlier and earlier, as resort users have figured out through experience that they must arrive in time to assure a parking spot in a designated car park and not be relegated to the side of the canyon road, traveling up to Brighton as a fall-back plan, or completely shut out of finding legal parking anywhere.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
That's good to hear. thanks. I am an early bird and usually one of the firsts on the lift. My kids hate it but have no choice when they are skiing with me.

Where on Long Island are you? I grew up in Farmingdale and lived in Huntington before I moved to NC.
I live in Centerport right by the Huntington and Greenlawn borders. :beercheer:

RikkiBobbi

Booting up
Skier
Will be in Park City in about two weeks...never been before and will not have a rental. Staying near base of Canyons. What are some must-hit bars/restaurants/places at night? Will be uber'ing everywhere. Need to fill up 4 nights.

Woodsrider427

Getting on the lift
Skier
The recommendation of Solitude as a place to go for the least likely chance of crowds was accurate until this season. Solitude was acquired by Alterra last August and is the only local resort where the IKON pass is valid for more than either five or seven days per season, depending on which IKON pass one possesses. Weekends are definitely busy and the car parks have been filling up quickly. I can't predict with certainty what awaits you a couple weeks from now but, given what's been occurring for the last many weekends and our deep snowpack, I'd say there's a high likelihood the new norm will prevail. As Ogg advised, I would arrive early and would be prepared for a possible time consuming trip up canyon. This season I've noticed peak traffic flows in the canyon are happening earlier and earlier, as resort users have figured out through experience that they must arrive in time to assure a parking spot in a designated car park and not be relegated to the side of the canyon road, traveling up to Brighton as a fall-back plan, or completely shut out of finding legal parking anywhere.

That's what I figured is happening, thanks for the feedback. Someone else on here a while back recommended Deer Valley for a Sunday instead.

TS
blackke17

blackke17

I'd rather be at Alta
Skier
Only 7 of 21 lifts operating at DV today due to high winds

and man was that wind cranking! chair ride on the Silver lake express to get over to the one chair open on the back side was Brutal! we skied the trees off Red cloud for about 3 hours then hit Steins for a quality lunch

Sponsor

Staff online