• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
Jackson Hole resort rooms were far too pricey. Take what we paid at Big Sky last year and add a zero to the end of it.

I think the morning meetings are going to be in the vicinity of the Bridger Gondi.

AeroSKI5150

MikeChuckNorris
Skier
Jackson Hole resort rooms were far too pricey. Take what we paid at Big Sky last year and add a zero to the end of it.

Yikes, that's scary... more than happy to contribute as well but sounds like they are a bit unreasonable for sure.

SLIGHT TOPIC SWERVE... Not sure how the social calendars are shaping up just yet, but if anyone's interested in some good live music on Tuesday night 2/25, I noticed local favorites ONE TON PIG are playing at the Silver Dollar (@ Wort Hotel in Jackson)! Neill and I stumbled across these guys about five years ago while staying at Targhee and they are a lot of fun, definitely planning on checking 'em out again!

Last edited:

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
[/QUOTE]
SLIGHT TOPIC SWERVE... Not sure how the social calendars are shaping up just yet, but if anyone's interested in some good live music on Tuesday night 2/25, I noticed local favorites ONE TON PIG are playing at the Silver Dollar (@ Wort Hotel in Jackson)! Neill and I stumbled on these guys about five years ago while staying at Targhee and they are a lot of fun, definitely planning on checking 'em out again!
[/QUOTE]

Sounds good. We love the Silver Dollar and live music...even bluegrass!:Cristmassnow:

John Webb

mdskier
Skier

I think the morning meetings are going to be in the vicinity of the Bridger Gondi.
I snoozed and may cancel due to this. sad. casting for ideas.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Some Gathering stoke from yesterday !

sbooker

Getting on the lift
Skier
Any weather nerds care to take a stab at the general state of things for the Gathering timeframe? Any suggestion of a big long lasting blob of high pressure on the cards? I'm hoping for anything but as I fly into the region from Australia next week.

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
How to interpret the two lines per day? AM/PM ?
It's 12 hour periods, but I think it's more day/night. Like 6 AM to 6 PM on the first line, and then 6 PM to 6AM on the second. I don't know what the official time-frames are, but that seems to match with other forecasts I've seen.

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It's 12 hour periods, but I think it's more day/night. Like 6 AM to 6 PM on the first line, and then 6 PM to 6AM on the second. I don't know what the official time-frames are, but that seems to match with other forecasts I've seen.
Thanks!

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
So, I'm leaning towards shipping my skis out ahead of time. Which means shipping out in 2 days for safety sake.

Which 2?
AX78, Motive 95 and SR107. Leaning wishfully towards the latter 2.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
So, I'm leaning towards shipping my skis out ahead of time. Which means shipping out in 2 days for safety sake.

Which 2?
AX78, Motive 95 and SR107. Leaning wishfully towards the latter 2.

Nice quiver. It seems like it’s been a good snow year at Jackson, so even if there isn’t much new snow during the Gathering week it would still have some decent skiing off-piste. And I’m thinking it’d be easier to find a narrower ski to demo on a groomer day than to find a wider ski on a powder day. So I vote for the latter two.

I’d be agonizing as well about what to ship. Fortunately I’m road-tripping with my roof box. I’ll have my Z90 and Billy Goat (116). My agonizing is about whether I need a middle quiver ski, and if so which one. Maybe @Philpug and @Tricia ’s test fleet will guide me a little.

Afterthought: we live in a strange bubble when we can list ski models without having to name the brand.

Jersey Skier

Skier
@Jersey Skier - the later two IMO.
Driving as well so we are bringing the fleet but more than likely the 96 and same 107s will get brought out.
Why ship ? Won’t it be less $ and hassle to bag drag ?

I think the bigger hassle would be flying solo with all the crap. If I ship from my shop it's only about $25 more than the checked bag fee. And my wife won't drive my truck to the airport to give me a ride, so we need to use her BMW and it would be a tight squeeze.

This site forever reminds of all the first world problems we have.

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Note: the first post in this thread has been updated with some additional info on the Grand Targhee day that some will choose. Here's the update:

Note on other resorts: At past events at Jackson Hole, some folks have taken the opportunity to ski Grand Targhee as well... based on feedback in this thread, the day for Grand Targhee is Friday, Feb. 28th. This is, of course, weather, conditions, and transportation dependent, and up to each attendee to decide where they would like to ski. Please see this thread for more info or to add yourself to the roll call:
https://www.pugski.com/threads/grand-targhee-day-during-2020-gathering-week-at-jackson.18903/

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have a couple of questions:
What is the best way to add a day to my ikon pass? is there some way to do it online, or do i just present myself at the ticket window?

I only want to bring 1 pair of skis, Should it be FX94's or Endurance 98's. I'm kind of leaning towards the Endurance

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I have a couple of questions:
What is the best way to add a day to my ikon pass? is there some way to do it online, or do i just present myself at the ticket window?
What do you mean by "add a day"? I don't think you can. You have to buy a regular lift ticket of some type.

One option is you use a buddy pass from another Ikon pass holder, which will give you 25% off the walk-up price. There may be other deals folks know of as well.

Jersey Skier

Skier
If I’m staying downtown at the Elk Country Inn, is it easier to boot up in the room and take the shuttle or wait till at the mountain? Trying to figure out if I need to lug my heated boot bag or not.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
If I’m staying downtown at the Elk Country Inn, is it easier to boot up in the room and take the shuttle or wait till at the mountain? Trying to figure out if I need to lug my heated boot bag or not.
Hey, I'm at the Elk Country Inn too! I've stayed there before. I probably have taken my boots more often than worn them on the shuttle, but I've done it both ways. I've also done a hybrid approach where I wore my boots but carried a bag with shoes in it. The "shuttle" is a full-size bus.

Arguments for wearing your boots:
The first shuttle stop is right in front (at least it was a few years ago), so you have a pretty good chance of getting a seat.
The bus stops right up front at the mountain, so not a long walk at that end either.
The places to boot up at the mountain aren't great.
The places to leave your bag aren't great (unless you rent a day locker).

Arguments for booting up at the mountain:
If you don't get a seat, it's a long ways to stand in ski boots.
Flexibility for après ski.
You may want a bag anyway to hold optional layers, extra gloves, etc.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister

When I was at Jackson for the Steep and Deep camp last month I had the same quandary... There's a lot of people that wear boots onto the bus and a lot that carry boots.

I wore boots onto the bus one time and carried the other days. It's a LONG day in ski boots if you boot up in your room. Count on 30, 40 minutes additional on each end of your ski day for transportation between town and the mountain. How comfy are your boots? If you can't wait to get them off that last half-hour to your hotel is going to suck.

As @mdf said, there are limited places to get booted up at the mountain. However, there is an (apparently new) tent-like structure in front of the Bridger Center that I would boot up in and dump my boot bag for the day. It's not locked, guarded or anything, but it's warm and comfy.

Sponsor

Staff online