• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Laurel Hill Crazie

AKA Rob Davis
Skier
The bus station at the Ranch Lot is for shuttles running to the base area. If you are at the bus station there, you probably drove your way in. Why would you boot up in the bus station when you could've booted up at your vehicle? There's no place to store your shoes at the bus station.

For those that may require a warm comfortable place to boot up then put your shoes/bag back in your car then wait for bus.

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
Is there a good place to boot up at the mountain if you ride a shuttle? I don’t care about having a locker.

Brad J

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have a couple of questions:
What is the best way to add a day to my ikon pass? is there some way to do it online, or do i just present myself at the ticket window?

FX94's or Endurance 98's. I
I would bring 2 pair one for soft 3d Snow and one for older harder snow, I wasn't happy on groomers when I just had the FX94's

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Is there a good place to boot up at the mountain if you ride a shuttle? I don’t care about having a locker.
Sounds like the perma-tent that @KevinF references fits the bill. It is new since the last time I was there

Danny

aka Cometjo
Skier
As Tony says, there are a lot of $3 bus routes that run between the town and the village:
The late night ones (green line) are essentially combined routes, so make more stops and take a little longer.

If you've got people to split a cab, the best option is to take the last direct bus into town and then take a taxi back to the village, which is $35 per ride. That's what we did the last time I stayed at the Hostel (way back in 2012) and it worked great. There were plenty of taxis hanging out around the town square.

And apparently Jackson have Uber and Lyft since 2017.

On a related note, if you take a taxi from the airport to town or Teton Village, most will make a short stop at the grocery store for free or cheap.
Thanks, I hadn't really thought about the grocery issue...

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks, I hadn't really thought about the grocery issue...

There is a small grocery and liquor store (actually pretty good wine selection) in the basement of the Mangy Moose. There is also the "Bodega" at the edge of the parking lot .. it had a different name and theme last time I paid attention, but has always been some sort of market.

Between them you can probably find, if not what you want, at least something that can substitute for it.

But a real grocery store to start the week is a better foundation.

In 2012 at least, the Hostel had shared refrigerators in the basement. I'm guessing they still do. The only problem is that they unlock the common areas for the morning fairly late. (I like to eat breakfast, then get ready, as opposed to vice versa. And I was in Steep and Deep, so had to be ready well before opening time. For a Gathering, the Hostal common area timing will probably be fine.)

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
Anybody ever use the Elk Country Inn's free shuttle? Says it leaves at 8 to the mountain. Curious if that is reality or should I just plan on using the Start bus?

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Anybody ever use the Elk Country Inn's free shuttle? Says it leaves at 8 to the mountain. Curious if that is reality or should I just plan on using the Start bus?
I used the Elk Country Inn's shuttle every day last time I was there and plan to use it this time too.
The shuttle is a full-size bus that stops right in front of the Elk Country Inn. That's the first stop, so you can get a seat.
If you miss it, one of the last stops is Cowboy Village, which is right across from the back of the Elk parking lot, so you might be able to grab it there.

Laurel Hill Crazie

AKA Rob Davis
Skier
I used the Elk Country Inn's shuttle every day last time I was there and plan to use it this time too.
The shuttle is a full-size bus that stops right in front of the Elk Country Inn. That's the first stop, so you can get a seat.
If you miss it, one of the last stops is Cowboy Village, which is right across from the back of the Elk parking lot, so you might be able to grab it there.

I take it that is the same shuttle for the Antler Inn, Cowboy, and 49er? If so, what is the travel time to Teton Village? It seems that those of us planning on taking the motel bus will miss meet up time.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm staying at the 49er, so I will be on that shuttle as well. If I recall you get to the hill at around 8:30? Its before the lifts start anyways.
Is anyone else at the 49er?

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah, arriving at 8:30 should be fine if we keep moving. The meetup is 8:30 to leave some "milling around and grouping up" time before lifts start at 9.

Danny

aka Cometjo
Skier
There is a small grocery and liquor store (actually pretty good wine selection) in the basement of the Mangy Moose. There is also the "Bodega" at the edge of the parking lot .. it had a different name and theme last time I paid attention, but has always been some sort of market.

Between them you can probably find, if not what you want, at least something that can substitute for it.

But a real grocery store to start the week is a better foundation.

In 2012 at least, the Hostel had shared refrigerators in the basement. I'm guessing they still do. The only problem is that they unlock the common areas for the morning fairly late. (I like to eat breakfast, then get ready, as opposed to vice versa. And I was in Steep and Deep, so had to be ready well before opening time. For a Gathering, the Hostal common area timing will probably be fine.)
Thanks, this is super useful practical info. Sounds like I should be ok, since I like to get dressed first and then eat...

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
Oh, it's permanent. It's "tent like" in that it has a canvas / cloth exterior shell, but it's solid.

As to where it is... When you walk out the tent door you're basically walking into the Cafe 6311. So it's kind of between the Bridger Gondola and the tram dock (ski down to the tram, walk up to the gondolas).

ill look again today but when I did a flyby yesterday afternoon - didn’t notice a tent.

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
Tuesday night was a PugSki walkthru at Nomad Sports at the base area. Think we'll be done in time? The Wort is a good place to eat on the saloon side.

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
Tent is there. Did not look as to what the purpose is. Not sure how I missed it yesterday ( well bourbon). Any snow was great early today, sun put a crust on it by 2:30-3:00.

tram line seem a tad better than last - 2:30 was still a couple of boxes wait time. Head wall was $ though early.

always great at the JHMR..

Laurel Hill Crazie

AKA Rob Davis
Skier
My wife and I rented a car and have room for a third person for rides from Jackson to Teton Village. We are staying at the Antler Inn. We plan to ski Sunday through Thursday. PM me if you're interested.

Sponsor