• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
When I was at Jackson for the Steep and Deep camp last month I had the same quandary... There's a lot of people that wear boots onto the bus and a lot that carry boots.

I wore boots onto the bus one time and carried the other days. It's a LONG day in ski boots if you boot up in your room. Count on 30, 40 minutes additional on each end of your ski day for transportation between town and the mountain. How comfy are your boots? If you can't wait to get them off that last half-hour to your hotel is going to suck.

As @mdf said, there are limited places to get booted up at the mountain. However, there is an (apparently new) tent-like structure in front of the Bridger Center that I would boot up in and dump my boot bag for the day. It's not locked, guarded or anything, but it's warm and comfy.
I'll be updating the meeting place for this thread soon @KevinF ... do you know if that tent-like structure is there all the time now? Or was it just a temporary thing? Which side of the Bridger center is it on, relative to the gondola?

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
I'll be updating the meeting place for this thread soon @KevinF ... do you know if that tent-like structure is there all the time now? Or was it just a temporary thing? Which side of the Bridger center is it on, relative to the gondola?

Oh, it's permanent. It's "tent like" in that it has a canvas / cloth exterior shell, but it's solid.

As to where it is... When you walk out the tent door you're basically walking into the Cafe 6311. So it's kind of between the Bridger Gondola and the tram dock (ski down to the tram, walk up to the gondolas).

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
Hey, I'm at the Elk Country Inn too! I've stayed there before. I probably have taken my boots more often than worn them on the shuttle, but I've done it both ways. I've also done a hybrid approach where I wore my boots but carried a bag with shoes in it. The "shuttle" is a full-size bus.

Arguments for wearing your boots:
The first shuttle stop is right in front (at least it was a few years ago), so you have a pretty good chance of getting a seat.
The bus stops right up front at the mountain, so not a long walk at that end either.
The places to boot up at the mountain aren't great.
The places to leave your bag aren't great (unless you rent a day locker).

Arguments for booting up at the mountain:
If you don't get a seat, it's a long ways to stand in ski boots.
Flexibility for après ski.
You may want a bag anyway to hold optional layers, extra gloves, etc.
When I was at Jackson for the Steep and Deep camp last month I had the same quandary... There's a lot of people that wear boots onto the bus and a lot that carry boots.

I wore boots onto the bus one time and carried the other days. It's a LONG day in ski boots if you boot up in your room. Count on 30, 40 minutes additional on each end of your ski day for transportation between town and the mountain. How comfy are your boots? If you can't wait to get them off that last half-hour to your hotel is going to suck.

As @mdf said, there are limited places to get booted up at the mountain. However, there is an (apparently new) tent-like structure in front of the Bridger Center that I would boot up in and dump my boot bag for the day. It's not locked, guarded or anything, but it's warm and comfy.

So it's 50/50. Maybe I should start a pole to determine if I should stuff my Thermal Trekker boot bag into the ski bag.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
At the last Jackson Gathering there were a cluster of Pugsters who had rented lockers in the Bridger Center locker room, so it was nice meeting area. The lockers are $30 a night, and can hold 2 pair of skis (but really, 3 will work). They also had a boot dryer rack to leave your boots overnight. So I may just rent a locker for 4-5 days.

OTOH, I’m staying at the Aspens, within a short walk of the last bus stop before Teton Village, so I could easily boot up at the condo and hop the bus. I’m inclined to carry my boot bag with me though, because I’d have to wait for a bus if I wanted to get something from my bag in the middle of the day. So I’ll probably rent the locker for skis, and maybe schlep my boot bag daily and leave it stuffed in the locker, or store it on top of the lockers.

Last edited:
TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Note... the meetup spot was updated in post 1. Meetups are at 8:30, starting Sunday, the 23rd. See it there, or here:

1581984292428.png

Last edited:

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Lifts start at 9, so probably slightly earlier to set time aside for chaos.

Danny

aka Cometjo
Skier
Question for anyone familiar with the area: I'm staying at the hostel in Teton Village, is there any reason to rent a car if I want to hang with folks who are staying in town? I can I go grab dinner with people in town and get back via some sort of public transit without too much pain? Is there uber for emergencies? Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Tony

tseeb
Skier
$3 each way from Teton Village to Jackson although if you (say you) are only going to Stilson lot, it's free. You need to look at schedule at https://www.jacksonhole.com/bus-schedule.html and see if it works for you. When I stayed at the hostel for 5 nights, I only went into town one night. They gave free parking pass back then.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Question for anyone familiar with the area: I'm staying at the hostel in Teton Village, is there any reason to rent a car if I want to hang with folks who are staying in town? I can I go grab dinner with people in town and get back via some sort of public transit without too much pain? Is there uber for emergencies? Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

As Tony says, there are a lot of $3 bus routes that run between the town and the village:
The late night ones (green line) are essentially combined routes, so make more stops and take a little longer.

If you've got people to split a cab, the best option is to take the last direct bus into town and then take a taxi back to the village, which is $35 per ride. That's what we did the last time I stayed at the Hostel (way back in 2012) and it worked great. There were plenty of taxis hanging out around the town square.

And apparently Jackson have Uber and Lyft since 2017.

On a related note, if you take a taxi from the airport to town or Teton Village, most will make a short stop at the grocery store for free or cheap.

Laurel Hill Crazie

AKA Rob Davis
Skier
Correct my memory if I'm wrong but can't you boot up at the bus station at the Ranch parking lot? Of course, there is the old standby, boot up in your car and take the shuttle bus or walk in.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Any intelnon day parking? We will be staying at a friends place on the other side of town and dout it is on a bus route.

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Any intelnon day parking? We will be staying at a friends place on the other side of town and dout it is on a bus route.
I don't have any other than the official page: https://www.jacksonhole.com/by-car.html

Here's some of the info from that site. Note that this is weekday prices. Tthe prices are a bit higher on weekends.

DAILY PRICING
Village Road Transit Center
(Stilson)
Free - with free shuttles to and from Teton Village7 miles from Teton Village
Ranch Lot$15 - 6:30 am-1:00 pm, or free with 3+ people in the car, free shuttles to Base Village.3 miles from Base Village
Village Lot$30 - 6:30 am-1:00 pm; $10 1:00 pm-3:00 pmBase Village
Crystal Springs Lot$30 - 6:30 am-1:00 pm; $10 1:00 pm-3:00 pmMid Village
Cody Lot$30 - 6:30 am-1:00 pm; $10 1:00 pm-3:00 pmUpper Village

How do the Stilson shuttles work?
The Stilson Lot has a heated transit center with restrooms. During peak morning and evening hours, there are free shuttles paid for by TVA. START's Red, Yellow and Green Line buses combined offer 70 free roundtrip runs daily between Stilson and Teton Village between 5:30 a.m. and midnight. TVA also operates FREE and frequent shuttles between the Ranch Lot and the Tram.

Is there free parking in Teton Village?
Yes free parking exists for the following situations. Hotel guests, short term, handicap, and carpools with 3 or more passengers per car can park for free in the Ranch Lot.

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
Correct my memory if I'm wrong but can't you boot up at the bus station at the Ranch parking lot? Of course, there is the old standby, boot up in your car and take the shuttle bus or walk in.

The bus station at the Ranch Lot is for shuttles running to the base area. If you are at the bus station there, you probably drove your way in. Why would you boot up in the bus station when you could've booted up at your vehicle? There's no place to store your shoes at the bus station.

Sponsor

Staff online