• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
Where does one typically fly into to ski Jackson hole?

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Jackson Hole Airport. A short taxi, shuttle, or (probably by now) Lyft ride to town or Teton Village. I've done JHMR trips without a rental car.

Tony

tseeb
Skier
Less expensive options for flying are SLC (4 hrs 45 min to town of Jackson via Soda Springs - route not recommended at night) or BZN (4 hrs 7 min to town of Jackson and 3 hrs 21 min to Driggs which is 22 min to Targhee, all according to Google maps). These give you opportunity to ski Utah or Big Sky before or after Jackson. Note that all times do not include food or gas stops or delays due to icy roads or storms. Flying to one of the more distant airports works better if you are sharing the cost of a rental or best if someone can pick you up and give you a ride. There are bus options from SLC to Jackson.

Searching today from San Jose showed one-way, one-stop Delta flights from SJC to Jackson were $296 and BZN was $95. Non-stops to SLC on Southwest were $69/79,so flying into Jackson is 3-4 times as expensive from where I live.

A problem some people have experienced flying to Jackson is flights can get canceled or missed due to storms at Jackson or airport on the way like SLC or DEN, or baggage, especially skis, can be left behind if on smaller plane from SLC. Then you can be stuck scrambling for alternate way to Jackson or waiting for airline to get you or all your baggage on another flight.

Last edited:

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
As usual, I make things more complicated than it needs to be. But here goes....

• I’m road tripping from the Seattle area, stopping at a few places in MT on the way.
  • My SO is tentatively going to be with me for 3 days of skiing there, then I will drop her off at Missoula airport to fly back home, so she can return to her work for 3 days.
  • I drive to Jackson for the Gathering.
  • Wednesday she flies from SeaTac to Jackson with a stop in SLC (the only non-stop from SeaTac to Jackson is Saturdays on Delta), I pick her up at the airport.
  • She only needs a carry-on because I will already have all her ski gear in my vehicle, so no need to worry about luggage that doesn’t make it on the SLC-Jackson flight.
  • We enjoy a day at Targhee and a day at Jackson, then drive to Park City, then a day or two at Snowbasin and a couple days at Sun Valley.
  • Then we drive home.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I got a promo email from Jackson Hole, leading to a discount offer, (I already have everything booked, so not for me...)
https://www.jacksonhole.com/300-off.html
It includes lift tickets, so not a good match for Ikon holders.
But I clicked through it includes some reasonable lodging places and a good price on the tickets.
Not a huge discount, but it could help.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
I’m officially booked for JH.:yahoo: I was originally planning on leaving on the 27th but decided I don’t want to miss GT. I noticed a dip in delta fares today so I pulled the trigger. I’m staying at the Antler inn and may have an extra bed if I can’t convince my brother to join me.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I’m staying at the Antler inn
Good choice. I think I stayed there once. I'm a fan of the Town Square Inn group (4 properties). I'm in the Elk Country Inn, also one of theirs.
(There seem to be lots of us there -- I'm thinking block party.)

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Party at the Antler! We are staying there too.

Rainbow Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Good choice. I think I stayed there once. I'm a fan of the Town Square Inn group (4 properties). I'm in the Elk Country Inn, also one of theirs.
(There seem to be lots of us there -- I'm thinking block party.)

Block party at Elk Country Inn... I kinda remember one of those...Appetizer, main entree, and dessert cabins.
:wave:

And @Pumba showed up at the gathering and became party of the family now.

Reactions: mdf

AaronFM

Getting off the lift
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
The NH group that I'm traveling with might be interested in a Grand Targhee day as well. We all have IKON base, so only 5 days. I spoke to the JHMR folks about GT at the Boston Ski Show and there is a shuttle from JH w/ lift tickets that's about $100. Not sure how big a group they can take, or how far out we'd need to reserve.

bushpilot

Up Booting
Skier
I am also on the base pass. I was planning on a day at GT with the pug group. I was also thinking about doing a snowmobile tour with Scenic Safaris or another outfit. Saturday the 29th seemed like a good day unless others wanted to go a different day. 12 hour tour costs about $300 and includes breakfast, lunch and transportation to and from your hotel.

Rainbow Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Rumor has it this is the final opportunity to visit National Elk Refuge this winter and go for a sleigh ride. It’s closing permanently.

Sponsor

Staff online