• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

sbooker

Getting on the lift
Skier
@dbostedo
As previously mentioned we're doing a road trip style holiday from Australia and our dates in Jackson correspond with The Gathering. We're only there for a couple of days though. Do you think there will be an appropriate group for my wife to tag along with considering she is a capable enough skier to get around the mountain but she is not a 'fast' skier? She wouldn't like to be in a group that she felt was waiting for her. No problems either way as we have friends coming with us who are novices and she could spend the time with them showing them around instead.
I'd really like to have her spend some time skiing with better skiers though.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
@dbostedo
As previously mentioned we're doing a road trip style holiday from Australia and our dates in Jackson correspond with The Gathering. We're only there for a couple of days though. Do you think there will be an appropriate group for my wife to tag along with considering she is a capable enough skier to get around the mountain but she is not a 'fast' skier? She wouldn't like to be in a group that she felt was waiting for her. No problems either way as we have friends coming with us who are novices and she could spend the time with them showing them around instead.
I'd really like to have her spend some time skiing with better skiers though.
With the number of people attending I'm sure you will be able to find an appropriate, like minded group for her to ski with.

aveski

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'll be up for a day at Targee. I'll have my car, so might drive to Targee.

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
With the number of people attending I'm sure you will be able to find an appropriate, like minded group for her to ski with.
Yeah. I agree with this. We usually have some folks (myself included sometimes) just looking to cruise around.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Don’t know if anyone has thought of this, maybe it needs a thread of it’s own.

The Ikon app can create groups which allow you to see where people are on the map, also send messages. It looks like it’s a “group for the day” kind of feature, and you’d need to have people’s contact info. It could be used with the groups that form each day, or a master list so Gathermeisters can broadcast updates and information throughout the day.

Just a thought.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah. I agree with this. We usually have some folks (myself included sometimes) just looking to cruise around.

Ooooooh, I like cruising.

Don’t know if anyone has thought of this, maybe it needs a thread of it’s own.

The Ikon app can create groups which allow you to see where people are on the map, also send messages. It looks like it’s a “group for the day” kind of feature, and you’d need to have people’s contact info. It could be used with the groups that form each day, or a master list so Gathermeisters can broadcast updates and information throughout the day.

Just a thought.

Way too organized.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
We used the Google maps share-my-location feature on the hill successfully. 3 months later I realized I was still sharing my location with @KevinF @tonand @Needham! I'm sure they needed a new source of entertainment when I turned it off. ;)

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I'll be up for a day at Targee. I'll have my car, so might drive to Targee.

I think earlier in this thread (or elsewhere), Friday Feb. 28 was talked about as a Targhee Day. I don't know if anything official was decided but the best lift ticket prices are available when purchased a few weeks in advance.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes, Targhee is planned for the 28th. We hope to head to Jackson for dinner after the day at Targhee. We are staying in Driggs on Thursday and Friday nights.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I had a day of wonderful new snow at Targhee a week ago.

Grand Foggy lived up to its rep -- although that did help keep the slopes near-empty on a Saturday.

Before the group heads over there, I recommend skiing a few runs with your eyes closed.

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
This winter the Wyoming DOT has been getting ever more twitchy about closing I-80. They are bordering on ridiculous, and will close the entire state eastbound if there's a whiteout or crash by Laramie. By the same token, they'll close I-80 westbound all the way back to Cheyenne if there's snow by Evanston. They are trying not to overwhelm some smaller cities with hordes of truckers, but the last few weeks have been pretty touchy around Rawlins. I-80 has the nickname "Snow Chi Minh Trail" around the Elk Mountain area.

Use this website for the best info on road conditions and closures as you head into Wyoming for the Gathering. There are links on the homepage to bordering states as well.

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
This winter the Wyoming DOT has been getting ever more twitchy about closing I-80. They are bordering on ridiculous, and will close the entire state eastbound if there's a whiteout or crash by Laramie. By the same token, they'll close I-80 westbound all the way back to Cheyenne if there's snow by Evanston. They are trying not to overwhelm some smaller cities with hordes of truckers, but the last few weeks have been pretty touchy around Rawlins. I-80 has the nickname "Snow Chi Minh Trail" around the Elk Mountain area.

Use this website for the best info on road conditions and closures as you head into Wyoming for the Gathering. There are links on the homepage to bordering states as well.

Thanks... added the link to the info in the first post.

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
A couple of weeks too early for the Gathering, but everything they get helps I'd think... 20 - 38" over the next 4 days (OpenSnow mid-mountain prediction).

1580943004589.png

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
@SpikeDog @TPJ, or anyone else who can offer some assistance on this.
Is there a meeting room of some kind where we could rent for the week and have a place to meet up and boot up on a daily basis?
I got a quote on the rooms on the website a few weeks ago... I'll PM you and Tricia.

Curious if anything was ever decided about this. Not in a position to donate a room, but I'd be glad to chip in. First gathering, first time to JH and looking forward to it.

Sponsor

Staff online