• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes, the snow at Snowbasin on Sunday once it was skied, was brutal. It did get better after about 1:00, but the visibility was so bad it just wasn't much fun. Down low was REALLY bad.

blah

Getting on the lift
Skier
Front side off of Lightning Ridge? For some reason I’ve never skied that. Always drop into one of the lines I know on the ‘back’ side.

Was watching the snow reports for this event (along with Snowbasin) and I have to ask: Did your experience align with the snow report or was it better/deeper than anticipated?

Lightning Ridge runs for me were Waterfall and Hook Chute.

Plus, multiple laps in Powder Country. Was able to be in perfect sync with the bus, so after every run down to the road in Powder Country, the bus was there waiting and drove back up immediately after pickup.

At PowMow on Sun, conditions were way deeper and better than reported. Powder Country was consistently offering up shin to knee deep freshies.

Mon at snowbasin, the primary terrain was in line with reported snow totals. The hike-to's and stuff you had to put a bit more work in getting to was much better and deeper. Overall, strawberry side was skiing great first thing in the morning. Turns out fresh, dense cream is a ton of fun!

blah

Getting on the lift
Skier
Soft and slushy is fast becoming a preferred snow condition for me (but of course, deep pow will always be king). Super fun day today at alta, hitting a bunch of lines off the high traverse in the afternoon off-trail workshop. South aspects were crusty and not that great. Everything else was soft and fantastic. And some spots here and there still held powder stashes from the previous storm.

Gunsight (looking very gunsight-y)
20190326_135509_001.jpg

Eagle's Nest
20190326_150202_001.jpg

Sure beats working
20190326_154820_006.jpg

Last edited:

Shawn C.

Out on the slopes
Skier
Looks like the storm tonight is over producing! About 11” and 10” at Snowbasin and Pow Mow, respectively!
It was nuking on Hill AFB and Ogden benches there for a while.
Military Appreciation Day at Powder tomorrow where active duty guys and gals get to ski free so watch out for the noobs and make sure to thank them for their service!

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
2018-19 Closing Dates
(All dates are tentative and subject to change)
plan your IKON days accordingly! above according to SkiUtah

Very useful post esp as we get near to these dates. I guess I have to get to DV soon if I want to check it out this season with a Wasatch benefit freebie.

blah

Getting on the lift
Skier
Backcountry day on sunday. Skinned and bootpacked up Mt. Superior. Got a good look at Edge of the World, Monte Cristo. It's on the "one of these days" list now.
20190331_115843_006.jpg

Cold bottomless pow on the way down the northern aspects in Cardiac bowl:
20190331_125313_005.jpg

One short up and down lap in Cardiff bowl:
20190331_135255_007.jpg

Then a final skin up to Mineral ridge, and exited the drainage to BCC.
20190401_035522.jpg

It was a good day. ⛷

Last edited:

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
2018-19 Closing Dates
(All dates are tentative and subject to change)
plan your IKON days accordingly! above according to SkiUtah
Just curious...is the snow going away in Utah? Why so many early closures? I figured someone would be open at least through May. You all will have to come to Squaw or Mammoth!

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Holy cow! Not only wide, but some serious slides!

It seems that the two weekends this season we chose to go elsewhere (first Sun Valley, then this weekend biking in St. George) and we miss some of the best skiing in years. :( :facepalm:
FOMO much? I wouldn’t say that it was the best skiing in years, it has been great all season. I’m sure the desert and biking was great too. I think if I had a brand new ride I would be jonesing to get on it.
My feeling is that there is plenty of time for biking but there is not always snow on the ground, so you got to get it while you can!

Just curious...is the snow going away in Utah? Why so many early closures? I figured someone would be open at least through May. You all will have to come to Squaw or Mammoth!
I think it has a lot to do with the corporate model set forth by the evil Empire. Snowbird will stick to their traditions and stay open as late as possible.
Spring skiing is better in Tahoe and Mammoth anyway ;)

Last edited:

Ryan Dietrich

Getting on the lift
Skier

It certainly does sting. I was at Solitude yesterday and the conditions were absolutely incredible. Super fast groomers that stayed skiable until at least 2:30 before they got a little too soft for my liking. I mean, Alta got 23 inches this past weekend, I took out my new DPS Lotus and got tons of fresh tracks on Saturday in powder up past my knee!! I know they have a deal with a forest service and whatever. I'll run out Sundance this weekend, then I'll hit Alta until they close, and I'll go one last time to snowbird to close out the season. Then the post-skiing-season depression will set in, again.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We are headed to Utah today for Hall of Fame stuff. Plans are to be at Powder Mtn. tomorrow, DV on Wednesday and Park City through the weekend.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
It certainly does sting. I was at Solitude yesterday and the conditions were absolutely incredible. Super fast groomers that stayed skiable until at least 2:30 before they got a little too soft for my liking. I mean, Alta got 23 inches this past weekend, I took out my new DPS Lotus and got tons of fresh tracks on Saturday in powder up past my knee!! I know they have a deal with a forest service and whatever. I'll run out Sundance this weekend, then I'll hit Alta until they close, and I'll go one last time to snowbird to close out the season. Then the post-skiing-season depression will set in, again.
I'm sure it has to do with staffing/operation costs vs. cash flow. Bummer, though, especially at areas that have their own very expensive season passes. Money, whether evil empire or indy, will trump phenomenal conditions. :(

Sponsor