• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
For whatever reason, some places in Utah receive much less snow than the cottonwoods. I was stunned to see the low YTD numbers for Pow Mow and Beaver on this blog "

The Cottonwood Canyons are pretty special especially with a Northwest flow & lake effect. Maybe more important is the fact that the northern areas are at a much lower elevation. I am also surprised to see that powder mountain has less snow than Snowbasin.

Tripleheader for me this morning…

First into Mt. Ogden Chute after patrol
9AE3850D-573F-4A26-838C-661580536F3D.jpeg

Then First into Tram Chute during the short window access was open
915C75E8-8908-43C6-8C4F-D7D59073DAD6.jpeg

4D7AF58D-70E3-4A0C-ACF1-9CB08C468896.jpeg

Finishing up in the north facing Kiko

Last edited:

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The Cottonwood Canyons are pretty special especially with a Northwest flow & lake effect. Maybe more important is the fact that the northern areas are at a much lower elevation. I am also surprised to see that powder mountain has less snow than Snowbasin.

Tripleheader for me this morning…

First into Mt. Ogden Chute after patrol
View attachment 68623

Then First into Tram Chute during the short window access was open
View attachment 68624

View attachment 68625

Finishing up in the north facing Kiko
How did I KNOW those were your tracks n Mt Ogden Chute?!
Nice. I got into Powderhound Bowl while it was briefly opened. Hey, ya gotta start somewhere! It was a really great day up there for sure.

RJS

Out on the slopes
Skier
Great to know. I spent 6 days this season at PCMR. I will most likely go to DV next season.

It seems like PCMR and DV are predominantly tourist oriented places so they are crowded on weekdays from tourists who are staying the whole week as opposed to the local weekend skiers.

That's correct. In my experience, PCMR and DV are probably more crowded on non-powder non-holiday weekdays than the BCC/LCC resorts, but they definitely don't feel crowded. And even when they are crowded, I've found that it's easy at both PCMR and DV to avoid crowds if you which lifts to stay away from. You'll enjoy Deer Valley next season :)! Make sure to try the Turkey Chili and Fish Tacos during lunch.

I've never done this, but someone on the lift tipped me off to something called Fireside Dining at Deer Valley where they cook you a four course dinner in the fireplaces of the Empire Canyon Lodge. It sounds so cool if you're looking for a splurge.

@4ster those pictures/video look amazing!

Shawn C.

Out on the slopes
Skier
Powder Mountain has so many aspects and is so spread out that snow fall varies greatly from one place to another. I’m a bit surprised at their totals too but one lift you can be skiing 8” of pow and then you go to another and it’s over the knees. Orographic goodness depending on the type of storm.

Rowdy Bonkers

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Going to Utah for the first time from 4/6-4/8. Thinking of doing Alta on Saturday and Monday with Snowbird on Sunday. Alta seems to be the favorite so would love to get a day with the Monday crowd and really go bananas.

I will have to rent a car since the ski bus shuts down on Saturday the 6th and staying in Midvale because I thought I would be taking the bus and can't change that. So stoked but was curious about tips for April skiing or even little things about parking? Any help is greatly appreciated and cannot wait at all

4ster

Instructor
In an effort to get away from the Saturday crowds yesterday, my buddy Chris & I hit up some backcountry for the last of the powder...
3D495ECE-59C4-4A4A-AD95-5C8A567D7F2A.jpeg

Photo Credit: Chris Morgan

TS
blackke17

blackke17

I'd rather be at Alta
Skier
full spring mode at Solly yesterday - crusty in the AM until things softened up from the sun. life in the desert! - near 60 degree days in the valley for the next 10 days . No storms in sight. summers are too long to start melting our snow pack already

Brian Likes Pow

Out on the slopes
Skier
full spring mode at Solly yesterday - crusty in the AM until things softened up from the sun. life in the desert! - near 60 degree days in the valley for the next 10 days . No storms in sight. summers are too long to start melting our snow pack already
I don't live here after late April so Im kinda ok with this lower stuff to melt off so I can sample the local mtb before I ditch town. And I need to melt away some straight up pounds before I go full wook in Moab and points east next month.

TS
blackke17

blackke17

I'd rather be at Alta
Skier
2018-19 Closing Dates
(All dates are tentative and subject to change)
plan your IKON days accordingly! above according to SkiUtah

TS
blackke17

blackke17

I'd rather be at Alta
Skier
I don't live here after late April so Im kinda ok with this lower stuff to melt off so I can sample the local mtb before I ditch town. And I need to melt away some straight up pounds before I go full wook in Moab and points east next month.

ski all winter up north and MTB in Moab, thats a nice gig!

davjr96

Getting off the lift
Skier
I'm flying into SLC tonight with a friend and back home next Tuesday. It's an ikon trip (sorry locals :/ ) so current plan is to ski Deer Valley Tomorrow, Thursday and Friday AM. Pick up family members at airport and hit up AltaBird Friday afternoon - Monday. Any suggestions for ski rentals close to the airport as we have an hour to kill in between family member's flights? Any thing we must see or do or places to eat? We will have a car and are staying in Park City for the first part and Sandy for the second. I have driven through SLC a couple of times and done olympic museum before.
Thanks!

Shawn C.

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have doubts that Snowbasin will close that early. Two years ago, they extended by at LEAST a week. I'd like that--I could ski for my 50th!

Hey, I'll be 50th on 19 April. When is your b-day? I planned to go to either Snowbasin or Alta to ski for my 50th prior to crunching myself.

Shawn C.

Out on the slopes
Skier
Cheers to you as well! You should go skiing somewhere even if Snowbasin is closed!

Also, for all the Snowbasin skiers, I have a couple of questions. The military rates for SB are going to be really reasonable for next year. I was thinking of getting a midweek value pass in addition to my standard Pow Mow pass. So... Being that I would be there only weekdays what are the crowds like M-F?

Also, looking at the horrible Needles Gondola lift line pics posted here (weekend pow days), what about lines on the upper mountain? Do Middle Bowl and Porcupine get crazy lift lies too? Just curious.

4ster

Instructor
Cheers to you as well! You should go skiing somewhere even if Snowbasin is closed!

Also, for all the Snowbasin skiers, I have a couple of questions. The military rates for SB are going to be really reasonable for next year. I was thinking of getting a midweek value pass in addition to my standard Pow Mow pass. So... Being that I would be there only weekdays what are the crowds like M-F?

Also, looking at the horrible Needles Gondola lift line pics posted here (weekend pow days), what about lines on the upper mountain? Do Middle Bowl and Porcupine get crazy lift lies too? Just curious.

You’ll be fine mid week. Although it has gotten much busier all days this year it is still pretty easy to find a lift without lines mid week provided everything is open.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Midweek, meaning Monday and Tuesday and some Wednesdays, right? ;)
Friday is the new Saturday. Powder days bring the hoards no matter what day. I'm not sure how the Epic pass will alter things compared to the MCP. I noticed a huge uptick in crowds during the Christmas holiday with the MCP. I used to love skiing on Christmas day because the place was a ghost town. It was a ZOO with the MCP.

Anyway, you are one lucky guy to have essentially both mountains for the price of one!