• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Shawn C.

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have to admit I'm very spoiled by the lack of crowds at Powder. Luckily, I work the swing shift so can take advantage of powder week days by getting in a few hours of skiing before going home to get ready for work.

TS
blackke17

blackke17

I'd rather be at Alta
Skier
Thought i was in a dream when I rolled into Solitude's lot at 11am yesterday it was empty! The dream turned into a nightmare real quick when i skied down an ice wall a handful of times prior to leaving by 1230 - high winds kept it FIRM.temps were in low mid 30's and the snow simply didn't soften up . worst conditions so far this season

- happy to see this valley rain is the white stuff on the snow cams this IMG_1813.JPG

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
it is snowing too hard
Sacrilege ;) .

With that said, I too am taking the day off but not because it is snowing too hard...
Yesterday
570B38AD-F37B-4C41-93C2-781E77EFB43D.jpeg

...but because I made too many turns & I am too tired :crash:Which is also sacrilege.

BTW, how much snow at DV today? Solitude?

Last edited:

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I had the day off, so headed up. It was really good! I went up yesterday afternoon, and the north facing aspects in particular never had a freeze/thaw so they were really nice, too. Anything south facing was pretty crunchy. Today had a lot of dust on crust, but it was one of the quietest days this season, so with 3 inches on top, I got a few soft turns in on every run.

@4ster, one of these days...I'm tagging along!

Ryan Dietrich

Getting on the lift
Skier
Gah.. 6-7 inches in LCC/BCC. My poor sundance only got two inches, but I'm stuck working today. Oh well.. I'll go night skiing tonight.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I think I will go skiing today, and then doing a full moon snowshoe tonight

Utah ROCKS :yahoo:
But, what if it's cloudy tonight? I swear, any time I think about doing something like that at night, it's cloudy and snowing. I mean, there are worse things to deal with, but still...

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
Thought i was in a dream when I rolled into Solitude's lot at 11am yesterday it was empty! The dream turned into a nightmare real quick when i skied down an ice wall a handful of times prior to leaving by 1230 - high winds kept it FIRM.temps were in low mid 30's and the snow simply didn't soften up . worst conditions so far this season

- happy to see this valley rain is the white stuff on the snow cams this View attachment 69103
Yesterday was a weird one. One of those days where the aspect of the slope really made a huge difference.

Brighton's Snake Creek area skied like a dream yesterday, with the rest if the mountain not so good. Milly ranged from not so good to horrible, but Snake Creek was a dream yesterday! What a surprising good pow day!

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
But, what if it's cloudy tonight? I swear, any time I think about doing something like that at night, it's cloudy and snowing. I mean, there are worse things to deal with, but still...

We have headlamps so all good, we are going with a group from out community, dinner and snowshoeing

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
We have headlamps so all good, we are going with a group from out community, dinner and snowshoeing
Ahhh so snowshoeing under (hopefully) a mostly-full moon.
Sounds lovely. I keep saying I'm going to do this, and MTB at night, too, but I'm always so stinkin' tired by the time I'd leave, I typically crawl into bed.
If you want to have fun, try skiing at night with headlamps on freshly groomed trails.

blah

Getting on the lift
Skier
Anybody have any beta on PowMow recently? Never been there; thinking about checking it out on Sun. Thanks in advance!

blah

Getting on the lift
Skier
Who knew soft, dense cream could be so enjoyable? Although it definitely helps to have untracked in the morning. Apparently all the hike-to's at snowbasin were closed on Sunday during the bulk of the snowfall, and they only opened today after extensive avy control in the early morning. Lucky! I was able to find knee-deep fresh in the trees on No-Name in the morning. Dry, wintery pow in Lone Tree and the other chutes off DeMoisy peak. Plus, fresh tracks in Sister's Bowl for 1 glorious run before patrol quickly closed access due to small skier-triggered slides from above onto the traverse line. What was also SO surprisingly satisfying as well? Carving the hell out of smooth, slushy groomers to end the day.
Alta tomorrow...

Pictures (or it didn't happen):

No-name
20190325_223252.jpg

Middle bowl cirque
20190325_223354.jpg

Arrowhead(?) off of DeMoisy peak
20190325_223438.jpg

Shawn C.

Out on the slopes
Skier
PowMow today. Dry, wintery pow at the high elevations. Continuous snow and freshies all day long. No lift/bus/cat lines. Another Best Day Ever.

Snowbasin tomorrow...

View attachment 69439
View attachment 69440
View attachment 69441
View attachment 69442

Front side off of Lightning Ridge? For some reason I’ve never skied that. Always drop into one of the lines I know on the ‘back’ side.

Was watching the snow reports for this event (along with Snowbasin) and I have to ask: Did your experience align with the snow report or was it better/deeper than anticipated?

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Front side off of Lightning Ridge? For some reason I’ve never skied that. Always drop into one of the lines I know on the ‘back’ side.
Weber Bowl, frontside of Lightning Ridge. This one will bring you right back to Sundowner...

Go out the ridge a little further & there is (I believe) Cache Bowl which will bring you to Timberline Chair.
Go out the ridge to the end & you can drop into Hook Chute & a few others but you end up below Timberline on the trail to Paradise.
Morgan - JForster-1-2.jpg

Was watching the snow reports for this event (along with Snowbasin) and I have to ask: Did your experience align with the snow report or was it better/deeper than anticipated?
Snowbasin ended up with about 14" of new, very heavy, wet snow on Sunday & was full on blizzard mid-day. Up high it skied really well & pretty well lower down till it got tracked. After that the bottom was pretty brutal even on the groomers. I never left JP so YMMV.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online