Utah 2018-19 Utah Weather and Stoke

Discussion in 'General Resort Discussion' started by blackke17, Oct 5, 2018.

1. AmyPJ

AmyPJ Let's go! Pugski Ski Tester

Yes to FOMO, and I also tend to feel that skiing is more temperamental and the season is obviously shorter than bike season, but I am overruled at times! Plus we got an invite that wouldn't be possible after ski season ended. And yes, the new ride is SUPER sweet. Carbon wheels and the newest suspension offering from Trek are proving to be REALLY nice.

And I tend to agree that for whatever reason (warmer temps overall?) spring skiing here in UT < spring skiing in Tahoe/Mammoth.

2. Jim Kenney

Jim Kenney Travel Correspondent Industry Insider Team Gathermeister

I thought all the Apr 7 and 14 closures were due to Forest Service or BLM restrictions. Snowbird stays open later because it's mostly/all private land. I was at Deer Valley yesterday and tons of snow there still (and people). Shame they have to close in 6 days.

Skiing mostly Snowbird throughout March it doesn't feel to me that spring has even arrived fully yet, snow is mostly hard on groomers and powdery offpiste. I can count the runs with corn snow on one hand. Slush bumps are hard to find.

Phelmut and Shawn C. like this.
  3. 4ster

4ster Now with more photos! Instructor

Two of my favorite people :) ! I don't know if I could've turned down that invite either.

AmyPJ likes this.
  4. AmyPJ

AmyPJ Let's go! Pugski Ski Tester

We had fun. I haven't laughed that hard in a very long time!

Who knew that Mr. Hart was THE ORIGINAL to ski on Scott THE SKI?! The mogul king himself.
    Kind of fun trivia for the Puggers, I suppose.

4ster likes this.
  5. Started at 53

Started at 53 You can call me Jay Skier

Skiing in the AM

B320B409-9134-46B0-8898-11BFDF0CD547.jpeg

Golf in the Afternoon
    08AB16F3-3777-48E5-BF45-16C35F325474.jpeg

What’s not to like?

Phelmut likes this.

6. KingGrump

KingGrump Most Interesting Man In The World Team Gathermeister

Ran into @Michael R. in the tram this afternoon. Did few nice laps together. Silverfox, Primrose & North Chute. Good snow.

Upper section of Primrose.
    IMG_20190401_145243_1.jpg

Phelmut, dbostedo and Shawn C. like this.
  7. Shawn C.

Shawn C. Getting on the lift Skier

Eh... Golf? :cool:

blackke17 likes this.
  8. Started at 53

Started at 53 You can call me Jay Skier

Non-Ski Season activity

Shawn C. likes this.
  9. Daniel

Daniel Putting on skis Skier

Snowbird will almost certainly remain open into the summer this year, although going forward they periodically scale back the number of lifts in operation, hours of operation, and days of the week they are open for skiing/snowboarding. The snow is not going away thus far and the bases continue to build as storm after storm roll through.

Ditto for Solitude today except the incredible-conditions sweet spot continued well past 2:30. Just when the rising temperature and mostly sunny sky were approaching the tipping point where the snow would lose its optimal softness, high clouds preceding the incoming storm rolled in and the snow surface maintained a high quality level. I ejected at 3:20 due to fatigue from many continuous hours of skiing, then snowboarding, not snow degradation.

That explains a lot of the reason for scheduled closing dates. Other factors include insurance policies already in place, National Forest Service leases, and a rapidly dwindling workforce. A big factor is lack of skiers and riders. Demand falls off quite significantly: there aren't enough snowsports participants to support multiple resorts remaining open once spring-like weather arrives. Utah offers so many competing outdoor recreational activities, whether they be at lower elevation or in the central and southern regions of the state. Skiers and snowboarders tend to be active in other sports and the lure of rock climbing, mountain biking, kayaking, paragliding, etc., takes precedence for many, myself included. Also, many skiers and snowboarders will continue to log vertical after the resorts close but they'll be doing so in the backcountry on a more settled/stable snowpack.

4ster and Andy Mink like this.
  10. RJS

RJS Getting off the lift Skier

I have some questions about night skiing at Brighton. Does anybody know if it's still going on? Their website says that night skiing ends in early April. This time of year, when it's light out well past 4, are you still restricted to a specific set of lifts after 4? And finally, does anybody know if an IKON day at Brighton includes night skiing in addition to day skiing?

Appreciate the help :).

11. Ryan Dietrich

Ryan Dietrich Putting on skis Skier

My legs were so toast at the end of the day. My daughter wanted to do one last run down Challenger as our "last" run of the day and my legs nearly fell off. We did 30k vertical, and none of it was easy. I have only been to Solitude a handful of times, and most were kind of crap conditions to be honest. This past Sunday was ridiculous. My wife kept calling the place "mini-deer-valley", which is HIGH praise coming from her, seeing how she keeps trying to convince me to buy season passes there instead of Alta.

I just love how wide the trails are there (similar to Brian Head), and how some of the runs are so well shielded by trees, even if it does get warm, you can hide out in the shade where the snow stays colder for longer. Quite an awesome mountain, I feel bad for not having a higher opinion of it.

4ster and blackke17 like this.
  12. 4ster

This is why Springtime is my favorite season. Whether it’s golf, biking, climbing, watersports or a multitude of other activities there is always something to do in the afternoon after a morning of skiing.

I was looking forward to a spin on the bicycle Monday afternoon but the skiing quality stayed too good on the mountain even though it was 53F when I got home.

Finger chute
    ED0A86EC-152A-4055-8998-741D37B44E38.jpeg

Backside view with Steph & Chris
    342E4544-2FDD-4E4E-A05B-4FC1A65E996A.jpeg

Race Start tracks.
    9304E410-1813-48F7-91CE-6D61697209EF.jpeg

Valley View on the apron. (C. Morgan photo)
    9D1F8F5C-C0F9-4B53-8FCD-9BAF60A611DC.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
    Phelmut, Shawn C., ZionPow and 5 others like this.
  13. Thread Starter
    TS
    blackke17

blackke17 I'd rather be at Alta Skier

I got an email from Brighton this morning.

"Don't forget! Night skiing ends 4/06. With lift tix just $25 this week, make sure you get up here to enjoy all the great snow we've been getting this Spring. This deal is ONLY available online."

if memory serves, you will still be limited to Crest and the smaller lift next to it. I dont recall MIlly or Western ever being open during the night session

RJS likes this.
  14. Tricia

Tricia The Velvet Hammer Admin Pugski Ski Tester

We are thinking about having a Mammoth ski day in June sometime. Care to join?

15. Andy Mink

Andy Mink I am a half fast skier. Moderator Pugski Ski Tester

June? That's just crazy talk! Crazy good.

Tricia likes this.
  16. Tricia

Phil and I are meeting with NASJA at Powder Mountain this morning. Crossing fingers we don't get rained out.

Staying at the Canyons the rest of the week for the Skiing History Week events.We'll be skiing Park City, Alta, Deer Valley and ....(who knows where the wind will blow us?)

Phelmut likes this.
  17. Tricia

:yeah:

Shawn C. likes this.
  18. Ryan Dietrich

Ryan Dietrich Putting on skis Skier

Demo day at Alta this Saturday (I'll be there), anything you haven't skied on yet?

Tricia likes this.
  19. 4ster

Pretty sure I'm in for that...

June 20, 2011
    Mammoth day 1 003.JPG

Tricia and Shawn C. like this.
  20. Thread Starter
    TS
    blackke17

blackke17 I'd rather be at Alta Skier

Some great skiing at Brighton yesterday! - 6" of fresh greeted us in the morning. and the parking lot was Empty at 9am. This was the view from my spot next to Milly lift
    IMG_1963.JPG
    lots of great runs of untracked off Milly in the morning . such a fun area! there was some fog banks in Milly bowl for a while so we rode the rope line towards Solitude.
    IMG_1989.JPG
    alot of fun features at Brighton to launch off and the tree skiing is tremendous. We hit a chute into the rock garden we have been looking at for a few years that was finally filled in enough to get into the rocky entrance. Huge base opened up more terrain than usual off Western as well. IMG_2004.JPG
    taking the boots off around 4pm. I found out I skied the entire afternoon in Hike mode!

more goods on the way tomorrow.

BC., RJS, Phelmut and 3 others like this.