• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
FOMO much? I wouldn’t say that it was the best skiing in years, it has been great all season. I’m sure the desert and biking was great too. I think if I had a brand new ride I would be jonesing to get on it.
My feeling is that there is plenty of time for biking but there is not always snow on the ground, so you got to get it while you can!

I think it has a lot to do with the corporate model set forth by the evil Empire. Snowbird will stick to their traditions and stay open as late as possible.
Spring skiing is better in Tahoe and Mammoth anyway ;)
Yes to FOMO, and I also tend to feel that skiing is more temperamental and the season is obviously shorter than bike season, but I am overruled at times! Plus we got an invite that wouldn't be possible after ski season ended. And yes, the new ride is SUPER sweet. Carbon wheels and the newest suspension offering from Trek are proving to be REALLY nice.

And I tend to agree that for whatever reason (warmer temps overall?) spring skiing here in UT < spring skiing in Tahoe/Mammoth.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I thought all the Apr 7 and 14 closures were due to Forest Service or BLM restrictions. Snowbird stays open later because it's mostly/all private land. I was at Deer Valley yesterday and tons of snow there still (and people). Shame they have to close in 6 days.

Skiing mostly Snowbird throughout March it doesn't feel to me that spring has even arrived fully yet, snow is mostly hard on groomers and powdery offpiste. I can count the runs with corn snow on one hand. Slush bumps are hard to find.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Plus we got an invite that wouldn't be possible after ski season ended.
Two of my favorite people :) ! I don't know if I could've turned down that invite either.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Two of my favorite people :) ! I don't know if I could've turned down that invite either.
We had fun. I haven't laughed that hard in a very long time!

Who knew that Mr. Hart was THE ORIGINAL to ski on Scott THE SKI?! The mogul king himself.
Kind of fun trivia for the Puggers, I suppose.

Daniel

Out on the slopes
Skier
Just curious...is the snow going away in Utah? Why so many early closures? I figured someone would be open at least through May. You all will have to come to Squaw or Mammoth!

Snowbird will almost certainly remain open into the summer this year, although going forward they periodically scale back the number of lifts in operation, hours of operation, and days of the week they are open for skiing/snowboarding. The snow is not going away thus far and the bases continue to build as storm after storm roll through.

It certainly does sting. I was at Solitude yesterday and the conditions were absolutely incredible. Super fast groomers that stayed skiable until at least 2:30 before they got a little too soft for my liking. I mean, Alta got 23 inches this past weekend, I took out my new DPS Lotus and got tons of fresh tracks on Saturday in powder up past my knee!! I know they have a deal with a forest service and whatever. I'll run out Sundance this weekend, then I'll hit Alta until they close, and I'll go one last time to snowbird to close out the season. Then the post-skiing-season depression will set in, again.

Ditto for Solitude today except the incredible-conditions sweet spot continued well past 2:30. Just when the rising temperature and mostly sunny sky were approaching the tipping point where the snow would lose its optimal softness, high clouds preceding the incoming storm rolled in and the snow surface maintained a high quality level. I ejected at 3:20 due to fatigue from many continuous hours of skiing, then snowboarding, not snow degradation.

I'm sure it has to do with staffing/operation costs vs. cash flow. Bummer, though, especially at areas that have their own very expensive season passes. Money, whether evil empire or indy, will trump phenomenal conditions. :(

That explains a lot of the reason for scheduled closing dates. Other factors include insurance policies already in place, National Forest Service leases, and a rapidly dwindling workforce. A big factor is lack of skiers and riders. Demand falls off quite significantly: there aren't enough snowsports participants to support multiple resorts remaining open once spring-like weather arrives. Utah offers so many competing outdoor recreational activities, whether they be at lower elevation or in the central and southern regions of the state. Skiers and snowboarders tend to be active in other sports and the lure of rock climbing, mountain biking, kayaking, paragliding, etc., takes precedence for many, myself included. Also, many skiers and snowboarders will continue to log vertical after the resorts close but they'll be doing so in the backcountry on a more settled/stable snowpack.

RJS

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have some questions about night skiing at Brighton. Does anybody know if it's still going on? Their website says that night skiing ends in early April. This time of year, when it's light out well past 4, are you still restricted to a specific set of lifts after 4? And finally, does anybody know if an IKON day at Brighton includes night skiing in addition to day skiing?

Appreciate the help :).

Ryan Dietrich

Getting on the lift
Skier
Ditto for Solitude today except the incredible-conditions sweet spot continued well past 2:30. Just when the rising temperature and mostly sunny sky were approaching the tipping point where the snow would lose its optimal softness, high clouds preceding the incoming storm rolled in and the snow surface maintained a high quality level. I ejected at 3:20 due to fatigue from many continuous hours of skiing, then snowboarding, not snow degradation.

My legs were so toast at the end of the day. My daughter wanted to do one last run down Challenger as our "last" run of the day and my legs nearly fell off. We did 30k vertical, and none of it was easy. I have only been to Solitude a handful of times, and most were kind of crap conditions to be honest. This past Sunday was ridiculous. My wife kept calling the place "mini-deer-valley", which is HIGH praise coming from her, seeing how she keeps trying to convince me to buy season passes there instead of Alta.

I just love how wide the trails are there (similar to Brian Head), and how some of the runs are so well shielded by trees, even if it does get warm, you can hide out in the shade where the snow stays colder for longer. Quite an awesome mountain, I feel bad for not having a higher opinion of it.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Skiing in the AM

View attachment 70220

Golf in the Afternoon
View attachment 70221

What’s not to like?

This is why Springtime is my favorite season. Whether it’s golf, biking, climbing, watersports or a multitude of other activities there is always something to do in the afternoon after a morning of skiing.

I was looking forward to a spin on the bicycle Monday afternoon but the skiing quality stayed too good on the mountain even though it was 53F when I got home.

Finger chute
ED0A86EC-152A-4055-8998-741D37B44E38.jpeg

Backside view with Steph & Chris
342E4544-2FDD-4E4E-A05B-4FC1A65E996A.jpeg

Race Start tracks.
9304E410-1813-48F7-91CE-6D61697209EF.jpeg

Valley View on the apron. (C. Morgan photo)
9D1F8F5C-C0F9-4B53-8FCD-9BAF60A611DC.jpeg

Last edited:
TS
blackke17

blackke17

I'd rather be at Alta
Skier
I have some questions about night skiing at Brighton. Does anybody know if it's still going on? Their website says that night skiing ends in early April. This time of year, when it's light out well past 4, are you still restricted to a specific set of lifts after 4? And finally, does anybody know if an IKON day at Brighton includes night skiing in addition to day skiing?

Appreciate the help :).

I got an email from Brighton this morning.

"Don't forget! Night skiing ends 4/06. With lift tix just $25 this week, make sure you get up here to enjoy all the great snow we've been getting this Spring. This deal is ONLY available online."

if memory serves, you will still be limited to Crest and the smaller lift next to it. I dont recall MIlly or Western ever being open during the night session

Reactions: RJS

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I think it has a lot to do with the corporate model set forth by the evil Empire. Snowbird will stick to their traditions and stay open as late as possible.
Spring skiing is better in Tahoe and Mammoth anyway ;)
We are thinking about having a Mammoth ski day in June sometime. Care to join?

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
We are thinking about having a Mammoth ski day in June sometime. Care to join?
June? That's just crazy talk! Crazy good.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Phil and I are meeting with NASJA at Powder Mountain this morning. Crossing fingers we don't get rained out.

Staying at the Canyons the rest of the week for the Skiing History Week events.We'll be skiing Park City, Alta, Deer Valley and ....(who knows where the wind will blow us?)

Ryan Dietrich

Getting on the lift
Skier
Phil and I are meeting with NASJA at Powder Mountain this morning. Crossing fingers we don't get rained out.

Staying at the Canyons the rest of the week for the Skiing History Week events.We'll be skiing Park City, Alta, Deer Valley and ....(who knows where the wind will blow us?)

Demo day at Alta this Saturday (I'll be there), anything you haven't skied on yet?

TS
blackke17

blackke17

I'd rather be at Alta
Skier
Some great skiing at Brighton yesterday! - 6" of fresh greeted us in the morning. and the parking lot was Empty at 9am. This was the view from my spot next to Milly lift
IMG_1963.JPG
lots of great runs of untracked off Milly in the morning . such a fun area! there was some fog banks in Milly bowl for a while so we rode the rope line towards Solitude.
IMG_1989.JPG
alot of fun features at Brighton to launch off and the tree skiing is tremendous. We hit a chute into the rock garden we have been looking at for a few years that was finally filled in enough to get into the rocky entrance. Huge base opened up more terrain than usual off Western as well. IMG_2004.JPG
taking the boots off around 4pm. I found out I skied the entire afternoon in Hike mode!

more goods on the way tomorrow.

Sponsor

Staff online