• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Happy for you guys - Looking good in that picture from Phil, Andy! How is it looking for Sunday? I'll try to drive up. Does it look like they will be running Wizard? Also, I have a new tune on the Rallies (1 / 3 ) and I would love to start checking that out. But I don't want to damage them, is it good enough for good skis or is it better to bring rock skis?
Don't know if Rose will be open Sunday. Yesterday they said maybe.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This is a stoke thread too, right? I didn't know if this should go in the beer or the Tahoe stoke thread, but this release from Lead Dog Brewing out of Reno gets me stoked.
IMG_4969.JPG
Too bad I have a backlog of beer and did not buy this, but I will soon.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
This is a stoke thread too, right? I didn't know if this should go in the beer or the Tahoe stoke thread, but this release from Lead Dog Brewing out of Reno gets me stoked.
View attachment 56186
There is such a thing as a back log of beer?

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
View attachment 56186
Honestly? That's home decor. I would have bought it for the artwork and put it on display. :roflmao:

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
There is such a thing as a back log of beer?
There is if you don't drink every day but can't resist buying new beer to try. There are so many new beers coming out, and the two groceries I go to stock some good ones. I have two 16 oz cans of Razzle Dazzle (milkshake IPA from Lead Dog), and two 16 oz cans of New Glory Gummy Worms (chewy pale ale) in my fridge. Yesterday was definitely a beer day, but I went out, so I didn't drink any home beer. I won't get through what I already have before my work week starts (when I generally don't drink).

Honestly? That's home decor. I would have bought it for the artwork and put it on display. :roflmao:
I love all the can designs coming out.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
A few minutes ago on KPIC channel 5 Saturday evening news, showed a short clip of skiers on a patch of Mt Rose white.

Tony

tseeb
Skier
Speaking of dents, my wife and I shared this one at the Campbell Oktoberfest (our third and most likely last of 2018). By mid-afternoon the beer lines get too long so we've learned to bring a couple of our own. CAPA is for CA Pale Ale and there are CA golden poppies on the can. From Fifty Fifty Brewing in Truckee.
6353CAPAcrs.JPG

Great job by Mt Rose opening and staying open an extra day, especially with Sunday highs predicted to be mid-60s in Truckee.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Speaking of dents, my wife and I shared this one at the Campbell Oktoberfest (our third and most likely last of 2018). By mid-afternoon the beer lines get too long so we've learned to bring a couple of our own. CAPA is for CA Pale Ale and there are CA golden poppies on the can. From Fifty Fifty Brewing in Truckee.
View attachment 56200

Great job by Mt Rose opening and staying open an extra day, especially with Sunday highs predicted to be mid-60s in Truckee.

I've been to 50/50 in Truckee a few times. I'm not sure if I've tried the CAPA. The Truckee brewery I like better is Alibi. I noticed they had Alibi beer at Kirkwood. I'm hoping more of the Tahoe establishments will start serving Alibi instead of Deschutes Fresh Squeezed.

It's nice that the Oktoberfest lets you bring your own (or do you sneak)? Either way, it's probably more economical that way too.

Tony

tseeb
Skier
They do not want you to bring your own, but I'm not waiting in a 30 min line to get a beer so we brought a couple of (well-wrapped) beers and waters in a bag.

I have not been to many N Tahoe/Truckee breweries. The last one was probably Fifty Fifty during Open Snow event BA hosted a few years ago. I do want to get to Tahoe Mountain Brewing, which has been there a few years although they had limited hours for a while, and Truckee Brewing Company, fairly new AFAIK. Both are on N side of I-80 and W of 89N, on the way to friend's house where I can stay if skiing N Tahoe.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
They do not want you to bring your own, but I'm not waiting in a 30 min line to get a beer so we brought a couple of (well-wrapped) beers and waters in a bag.

I have not been to many N Tahoe/Truckee breweries. The last one was probably Fifty Fifty during Open Snow event BA hosted a few years ago. I do want to get to Tahoe Mountain Brewing, which has been there a few years although they had limited hours for a while, and Truckee Brewing Company, fairly new AFAIK. Both are on N side of I-80 and W of 89N, on the way to friend's house where I can stay if skiing N Tahoe.

I haven't been to either of those breweries. Tahoe Mountain Brewing also has a brewpub in Tahoe City, where I rented a place the past couple of winters; but friends who have a house there never wanted to go there (they are not beer people, it was about the food).

I didn't even know about Truckee Brewing. I'll have to check it out sometime.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Ok. Wrap up of the day. I started early, first chair or so, at Wizard. There wasn't a soul:

20181021_090548_HDR.jpg

A little later I see a guy making beautiful RR tracks. And I'm like "wait a minute, that's Andy!". So I waited at the bottom, for @Andy Mink and @AKMINK, and we shared at least a couple hours of good chat on the lift and lapping back down on the WROD. All things said, I spent 4 hours drilling, non stop. My ski legs were starting to come back towards the end. This is brilliant. By the time real snow starts to show up, I will hopefully be up to speed.

The rallies had a fantastic 1 / 3 tune by our friends at CalSkiCo. Base grind, deep wax and really sharp edges. My first turn before breakfast, down from the upper parking lot, almost took me out of the wrod and into the rocks. Three on the side on a rally is no joke. Well, for me that is. But I got used to it and towards the end I was practicing Javelins up top and then running them in the slightly faster bottom part of the run.

Lots of new skiers of all ages, and a couple new boarders. All of them crashing, as expected. Except for the sweetest of them all, three super tiny ones skiing between the legs of their moms and dads. Stuff like that fills my heart.

It was really interesting to see the face runs naked, and how steep they are. Also, seeing the trenches they run across the trails. I am pretty sure they are made for preventing slides. The steeper the run, the more of these they put int. It all makes sense to me.

I can't thank Mt Rose enough for doing this. I really need to start a Mt Rose Appreciation thread.

Sponsor

Staff online