• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
A little later I see a guy making beautiful RR tracks. And I'm like "wait a minute, that's Andy!".
You're making me blush! Tracks are pretty easy on 157cm Z-90s in soft snow! But seriously, what a beautiful day!

JayT

Tahoe Powder Junkie
Skier
Just checking in with my official ranking of Truckee area breweries...

1. Alibi - hands down the winner, with so many temporary offerings in addition to standbys like their Pale Ale, plus just a great spot to hang out.

2. Tahoe Mountain Brew Co.

3. Fifty Fifty - beers are hit and miss, some great, some not my style. Good food though.

4. Truckee Brewing Company - I was fairly disappointed. Not bad, but in 2018 pretty vanilla IMO. They're new though, so maybe they need some more time to figure it out.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
1. Alibi - hands down the winner, with so many temporary offerings in addition to standbys like their Pale Ale, plus just a great spot to hang out.

I agree, and I first learned about them from @Tricia on Pugski. We went to a really fun Tom Petty tribute night there last winter.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
We drove past Boreal on I-80 yesterday. They're playing a bit with snowguns.

They have little patches of snow on the ground covering about 1/3 of the main slope top-to-bottom !
(sorry no picts)

Getting close ! ! :snow: :snow: :snow:

Nice! And how about Mt Rose, any word on this weekend? I haven't seen anything on their site yet ... (and no email yet)

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Nice! And how about Mt Rose, any word on this weekend? I haven't seen anything on their site yet ... (and no email yet)
Nothing yet. 44° up there at 0630. Not good.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I will be at Rose on Friday if they are open.
We could park on the road and walk in if they're not. They probably wouldn't mind that at all!:roflmao:

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
From the Mt. Rose website:
Mountain Notes: This weekend's operations will be decided and announced Thursday Oct. 24th. Mountain closed until further notice. Stay tuned for updates!

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Seems hard to imagine Rose being able to maintain the Wizard WROD without a few replenishment sessions - nights just haven't been old enough. I have been known to be overly pessimistic (aka wrong) in the past, however!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Seems hard to imagine Rose being able to maintain the Wizard WROD without a few replenishment sessions - nights just haven't been old enough. I have been known to be overly pessimistic (aka wrong) in the past, however!
Same bet? G&T and Manhattans IF they get open on Friday? ;)

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Does look like the weather is turning decidedly cooler next week. BA says chance of first real storm the week after. But he won't commit obviously until much closer. Still looks like good weather for overnight snow making starting in a few days.

TS
Jed Peters

Jed Peters

World's Most "Okayest" Skier
Skier
Early seasons (october/early november) have typically been a death knell/bad juju for tahoe winters.

Here's to hoping for a strong middle/late november, and a strong early december to drive business through the holiday period for the Tahoe/seasonal businesses.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
As I've begun to post again this fall on this board and read threads, am starting to drool over best memories of skiing fresh snow last season. After one of the deepest cold dumps, I and miss j rode up Chair 4 on the backside at Kirkwood, with not many chairs ahead of us for first tracks. It was a cold breezy day with a lot of high thin clouds amid some sun holes. I knew most of the those ahead of us were going to track up areas right below the chair or race to Thunder Saddle and drop before we reached the top. Noticed some with mediocre technique dropping right under the lift then inconsiderately Z'd way over to Hully Gully across dozens of potential fall line tracks of fresh snow instead of using fall lines from the cat track along the top.

http://s3.onthesnow.com/images/trailmaps/lake-tahoe/kirkwood/20150217131346/xlarge.jpg

I knew exactly where we would first go. I wanted at least one really long continuous run with absolutely no other tracks in front of me all the way down. At the top as we raced along the growing cat tracks lookers right, and indeed what I expected was playing out. Someone had dropped into Hully Gully and a couple others into Cold Shoulder while many others spread out towards Larry's Lip and The Saddle. Between the hollow that is often groomed Cold Shoulder and Larry's Lip is an area of sparse stunted whitebark pine and further down a deepening gully to its skiers left that even lower goes into a rock waterfall narrows. Winds tend to drift snow into the lee of those trees and skiers avoid it as it looks awkward with obstacles. We dove right into that area and in delirious bouncing form went non-stop all the way down to the flats. Before reaching the flats the slope gradient steepens and is in open full view of a long stretch of lift riders. And we had obviously caught the attention of most of them as lots of excited yelling ensued as their imminent prize got closer. The fresh snow was so wonderfully soft, deep, and dry. After that on subsequent 2 lift rides, we went all the way lookers right then down trashed powder about Larry's Lip, traversing with speed out below rock outcrops below the ridge line of Lookout Vista as I have done in the past over decades making the first use tracks deep into that area to where it is steepest. And that is where we enjoyed the deepest softest snow we skied all season, pounding down in powerful bounding blasts of exploding snow into the air with each turn.

Last edited:

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
From the Mt. Rose website:
Mountain Notes: This weekend's operations will be decided and announced Thursday Oct. 24th. Mountain closed until further notice. Stay tuned for updates!

They just updated. Sigh!

Mountain Notes:
  • After surveying the snow pack Thursday morning, Mt. Rose will NOT be open for skiing this weekend (Oct 26-28).
  • The last two days have impacted the snow on the connected trails ( Merlin / Witches Brew / Spellbound ) to the point where a quality ski experience is questionable / sustainable. Our goal at Mt. Rose is to always provide a snow product that we have confidence in to please all our guests.
  • The forecast for next week is positive, with cold temps returning to the region giving us the potential to continue to make snow and potentially spin the lift(s) again soon.
  • Guest Services and Rentals will be available Friday & Saturday (OCt 26 & 27) from 9:00am – 3:00pm for season pass sales / photos, as well as season lease pick-ups.
  • Please continue to check skirose.com for updates.

I totally understand the decision. They are trying hard to open, but it warmed up and they can't keep it running this weekend. On the bright side, it seems like next weekend they will be up again. And then ... a storm? Let's just daydream :D

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
They just updated. Sigh!

I totally understand the decision. They are trying hard to open, but it warmed up and they can't keep it running this weekend. On the bright side, it seems like next weekend they will be up again. And then ... a storm? Let's just daydream :D
Bummer, but not surprising. They haven't been able to make snow for the last several days and their farm has to be close to tapped out.

murphysf

Ski Well, Be Well.
Skier
Any bay area ski shops have a pre season special (discount) on a ski tune?

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Any bay area ski shops have a pre season special (discount) on a ski tune?

In the Bay Area, California Ski Company is a skiers place. Everyone there is a hardcore skier, it's like a mountain shop in Berkeley. They do have a pre-season special around Labor Day, but it's over by now, I believe. You can contact them and confirm. During the special, I got base grind, hotwax and side edge reset for 40 bucks. They did a great job as always.

Sponsor