• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
@AKMINK and I took a ride up to Mt. Rose today. Needs some more snow but still pretty. 20181007_144204.jpg From the Rose side lodge. A bit of snow at the bottom of Wizard chair. ^^
20181007_145323.jpg A couple of spots on Lower Lakeview.^^
20181007_152642.jpg Slide side from the Slide Mountain Trail.^^
20181007_155004.jpg Hiding in the quakies.^^
20181007_155101.jpg
The Chuter lift looking nice. Would be better if it was covered in white!^^
20181007_152732.jpg
Our hiking/avalanche dogs, Pepper and Tule.^^

Brian Likes Pow

Out on the slopes
Skier
Was some decent hail coming down this afternoon but at 5pm at the top of Carson pass it was straight snow.

I've got a phone interview at a special place over in a special part of the wasaatch tomorrow so maybe if this happens there's hope in the sierra. I do know winters somewhere else and summers back here is my ultimate goal

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Was some decent hail coming down this afternoon but at 5pm at the top of Carson pass it was straight snow.

I've got a phone interview at a special place over in a special part of the wasaatch tomorrow so maybe if this happens there's hope in the sierra. I do know winters somewhere else and summers back here is my ultimate goal
Must have just missed it. We left South Lake about 2:00

Eric267

Gettin after it
Skier
Tiny peek through the trees of "Just the tip" of Rose zone dusted the other day from #5 green at pondi image.jpeg

Been gettin into the mid 20s at night here @ 6600 above Tahoe vista. Combination of the pass deadlines from ikon and epic earlier this week and the variable weather has everyone getting ready for winter around here.

I went regular ikon and epic Tahoe value this year. Up +$100 to $1200 this year from bronze squalpine/Tahoe local epic from last year. Can't complain since the added mammoth + a trip in the works for Revi more than offset.

10 day looks pretty average for this time of year but hoping for a sneaky inch or so one of these nights soon. It's starting to get a little late to have gotten nothing here at the house yet this year.. But as we all know about Tahoe, the only predictable thing about the weather is unpredictability!!

WInter is coming...

Tony

tseeb
Skier
Must have just missed it. We left South Lake about 2:00

Views as we drove home from SLT today.

Are you in So Tahoe every day now? If so, you should bring bikes as the rain on Wed and at the beginning of the month has improved the dirt riding. I'm here through Sat doing some cabin maintenance, but also getting in a couple of hours of riding each day.

Chances of weak El Niño increasing, but it does not necessarily mean more snow. See https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/10/11/el-nino/

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Are you in So Tahoe every day now? If so, you should bring bikes as the rain on Wed and at the beginning of the month has improved the dirt riding. I'm here through Sat doing some cabin maintenance, but also getting in a couple of hours of riding each day.

Chances of weak El Niño increasing, but it does not necessarily mean more snow. See https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/10/11/el-nino/
No, we were in SLT for a meeting.

Tony

tseeb
Skier
A lot of smoke coming out of Fallen Leaf Lake area this evening. Hoping it's a controlled burn, but I don't think so.

After finishing all my priming (comes after prep and before painting), I took an hour and a half ride from cabin today that included Tahoe Tyrol and going under Heavenly's gondola more than once and riding part of the Cal-Neva loop in Van Sickle bi-state park. I was hoping friend who lives up Kingsbury could give me shuttle to his house so I could do bigger downhill, but heard he's out of town.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
lot of smoke coming out of Fallen Leaf Lake area this evening. Hoping it's a controlled burn, but I don't think so.
@Tony can you please update if you hear any more news on this? Thanks

Tony

tseeb
Skier
Last edited:

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Thanks @Tony & @luliski.
The smoke appears to be on the fallen leaf side of Tahoe mountain, only a mile or two from my place. They have recently completed a big Forest restoration project there, so probably just a prescribed burn taking care of some of the slash pile’s. Looks like the area marked G on the map of prescribed burns. Hope they keep a close eye on it.

Tony

tseeb
Skier
@4ster Sorry for the delay, but I did not have much Internet access on Sat. and was busy picking grapes at a winery near Gilroy on Sun. that wiped my wife and I out for the rest of the day. The smoke looked worse when I saw it from S Tahoe on Fri. night before sunset. This picture was taken from Nevada Beach Sat. AM. 2014TahoeSmoke.JPG

The beach, said to be the widest at Tahoe, was not very crowded. 2015NevadaBeach.JPG

Since I couldn't do the 2nd coat on my exterior painting project until it warmed up (official low on Sat. in SLT was 27), I went for an early bike ride. Temps were still in the 30s when I started. It was my first time riding in pants in a very long time. I started in Kahle Park and did a loop that included a lot of dirt (E of US-50) getting to Nevada Beach. It was predicted to be in the low 20s this AM, but did not get that cold at Tahoe. Mammoth was in single digits.

2012BikeAspens.JPG

Beside the painting and other maintenance I did, another upgrade at the cabin is a shot-ski a friend of my son brought to a party my son hosted this summer.
6343CabinShotSki.JPG

l am looking a across LAke tahoe at snow above HEavenly!
I guess it depends on your perspective.The only snow I could see (besides small patches on Tallac and Pyramid) was a few miles S of Heavenly in N-facing slopes of 10,880' Freel Peak. This picture taken on my way home from Pioneer Trail is Trimmer Peak, 9915'. It's supposed to have great backcountry skiing although it also has two huge slide paths so you better know what you're doing.
2019TrimmerSnow.JPG

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online