• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Fun day at Squaw! Last of the season for me. Different day, because I forgot the friggin' poles at home.Warmed up and tried to get used to skiing with no poles at Gold Coast. I found myself sitting @Near Nyquist and a group of puggers. They headed to Shirley but I stayed a little longer still warming up and getting used to this new thing. It turns out that groomers are ok. Offpiste is a different story. Anyway, I headed to Shirley and there were too many people. I simply don't enjoy crowds when skiing:

View attachment 76931
View attachment 76930 View attachment 76929

So I headed to the lower part of Sibo Bowl, having fun on natural snow:
View attachment 76928 View attachment 76927 View attachment 76926 View attachment 76925

Conditions out there were a little firmer than I expected, even closer to noon! Some of that sun-cupped snow offpiste was really firm past 11 am. It was a fun day for sure. I closed up with a mild run skiers left from Gold coast, that was ungroomed and still not soft enough to push around the ruts. Anyways, happy happy happy to have skied on July! Thank you, Squaw!
View attachment 76924 View attachment 76923

It's been 10 straight months since October last year. Yeah!
First of all, why didn't you give us a shout out? We'd have loaned you poles.
Second, why do you drive right by the shop where we're working and never stop to say hi??
Sorry we missed you again.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
First of all, why didn't you give us a shout out? We'd have loaned you poles.
Second, why do you drive right by the shop where we're working and never stop to say hi??
Sorry we missed you again.
Not sure if this would apply this late in the season, but a lot of the on mountain rental shops don't bother "managing" the poles. A couple of times I've just walked up, grabbed a couple. Put em back when your done.

textrovert

Reelin' in the years
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Wow, wow, wow. What a great finish today at Squaw!

Shirley Lake laps in the morning and then the hike up to National, Reverse-Traverse, and Hogsback! All skied so amazingly. Perfect corn harvest. Overcast most of the day, but not too cold. I was skiing in shorts and shirt. :D

The snow section of the hike- still in skis.
00000IMG_00000_BURST20190707105304043_COVER-01.jpeg

Time to boot it from here-
IMG_20190707_105849-01.jpeg

Top of Siberia-
IMG_20190707_111658-01.jpeg

Looking back up at National & Hogsback from Gold Coast-
IMG_20190707_121728-01.jpeg

Daughter going down National before me-

:yeah:

:daffy:

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Wrapping it up.
20190707_133949_HDR.jpg
Last lap lift line.
20190707_135036.jpg
Not fair, the lift stopped for an injury load. Not me - fortunately. They actually did give us one last run to make up for that line.

It was a fantastic end to the season. Nice soft snow which made the bumps really fun. There were some really skilled bumpers which made for a great show to watch.

The snow was getting thin - but I'm not ready to pray for snow yet. Waterskiing season is ramping up.

Awesome vibe on the mountain, everyone was smiling. après music at Fireside pizza in a hopping village. Squaw is doing a good job of making summer fun.

Appreciated a great year.

Eric

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Yesss ! 30 anniversary of the video Blizzard of Aahhhs. :golfclap:
Our hero's Jonny Moseley, Greg Stump, Glen Plake, Scot Schmidt and Mike Hattrup were to meet.
McConkey's Spatula ski was the shot-ski

I have the video on VHS tape (as that was the media back then!). An awesome classic.

Last edited:

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Photo of lift 3 at Mammoth taken 3 days ago. Amazing work they've done to keep the skiing going thru this Sunday.
This lift and the Gondola to top are the open lifts. It would be great if Squaw would do just a bit of this to keep Siberia
& Headwall lifts open longer. Trail to right (melted just before McCoy station) goes to Gondola for up/down loading).
Heck skis come off anyway.
7-20-2019-mammoth-summer000207.jpg

Mothertucker

Sweep Dodger
Skier
Photo of lift 3 at Mammoth taken 3 days ago. Amazing work they've done to keep the skiing going thru this Sunday.
This lift and the Gondola to top are the open lifts. It would be great if Squaw would do just a bit of this to keep Siberia
& Headwall lifts open longer. Trail to right (melted just before McCoy station) goes to Gondola for up/down loading).
Heck skis come off anyway.
7-20-2019-mammoth-summer000207.jpg
I am in transit to Mammoth now. @MountainMonster called a safety meeting and I answered the bell. I have 3 passes if anyone gets a wild hair.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
So there's no snow but yesterday & day before we had two full closures of I-80 near Colfax followed
by partial closures. 1st was a 18 wheel truck -cab completely burned up & trailer partially burned.

2nd was a huge truck hauling hay. The large trailer of hay caught on fire. They unhooked the cab to save it !
no injuries.

Sponsor