• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Rose was just beautiful today. Drove up solo. Really early. Made my usual stop at Colfax. This gas station (just by starbucks) has the best sign at the door. And they make lovely chicken (didn't get any this morning, but it's delicious)

20190112_064008.jpg
Warmed up on the third chair. An hour lesson with Mark Downing, and as it happens, I am skiing better an hour later. Working in getting more dynamic (rotary drills). It helped a lot later on Bruce's. It was my best day on bumps. I didn't become an Olympics zipliner but I am a little more aggressive after working on short turns and separation.

Anyways, back to what others could care about. Here is a nice little way of coming off NW chair, unless you want to do the face runs. Turn right of you exit the lift, and follow there folks in the picture. This is not hard at all. Most difficult here means "most difficult way of getting off this chair".

20190112_102241.jpg

The view is great:

20190112_102524.jpg

And the drop is a little ice pretty much always, a good chance to practice side slips and pivot slips (unless, that is, you are @ScotsSkier )
20190112_102624.jpg

I went back to slide for lunch. I took Bruce's from the top, which was phenomenally fun. Missed @Bobalooski (last time I was there and it was that much fun was last spring. and I was there with him, his son and mine),

20190112_112003.jpg 20190112_112250.jpg

Lunch was ... a nice break :) 20190112_114124.jpg

After lunch I lapped Bruce's for a while trying to get more aggresive and down the fall line. I used the traverse from Bonanza (I also did Bonanza but it was groomed and less fun - but fantastic snow)

20190112_124729.jpg 20190112_125110.jpg 20190112_125113.jpg
20190112_125320_HDR.jpg
The snow was soooo good that before leaving I started playing around in little glades around Bruce's:

20190112_125539.jpg

And crud (not pictured here). There were machine tracks between runs. They look like tractor tracks, on snow. Not sure what makes them. I went there for fun. Did well! It's amazing how things change. Now I seek natural snow, and even artificially f'd up snow! It used to be forbidden snow. Then bad snow. Now it's FUN!!!!!!!! :D Thank you @KingGrump and @Monique for the inspiration

:pug:

Last edited:

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
I've rented an SUV probably 8 or 9 times in New England and out west, and it's been AWD/4WD every time (from Manchester, Denver, Albuquerque, Mammoth Lakes, and Salt Lake City).
About 15 years ago I rented a full sized car from one of the Majors in Sacramento. It was in summer. I asked if they had something with more gear storage. They said sure (no extra charge) and I got a 2WD Buick SUV. They said no one wants to rent these damn things- the lot was full of them. perfect.

Last edited:

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Rose was just beautiful today. Made my usual stop at Colfax. This gas station (just by starbucks) has the best sign at the door. And they make lovely chicken.

View attachment 62739

:pug:
I Like that sign Lol
My former DC ski club, the Fagowees had 2 motto’s:
1. The drinking club with a skiing problem. (a bit like that sign!)
2. The ski club your parents warned you about.

Alpine Meadows was not great Friday. It was quite cloudy most of the day so Lakeview and most of Sherwood (a run over the top was good) stayed frozen. Promised land and most north facing slopes on Summit/ Roundhouse were good but light was flat.

I heard that AM lots filled at 9:30am today.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Rose was just beautiful today. Drove up solo. Really early. Made my usual stop at Colfax. This gas station (just by starbucks) has the best sign at the door. And they make lovely chicken (didn't get any this morning, but it's delicious)
Can confirm, I've eaten ribs there before on a sunday afternoon back. Yes ribs from a gas station food mart which I would typically be wary of. Not Real BBQ, but it was just as good as any chain restaurant's not-real-bbq ribs (Chilis, Tony Romas, Outback, etc). Perfectly great for a snack.

oldfashoned

Out on the slopes
Skier
Skied Squaw today with the son. Pulled into the parking lot at 7:45AM. Thought we might have over estimated the crowd for the day,we hadn’t. Not many cars there when we arrived, 2nd car next to run at Far East Express, but reports later in the day indicated the lots were full by noon. Lift loading started at 8:30 and the light was extremely flat to my eyes. Skiing was somewhat stressful. As tIme went on light improve to a great sunny afternoon. Lift lines were 5 to 10 minutes, even at KT at 3pm. Snow ranged from just ok to excellent: Granite ok, headwall better, especially Horse Tail area. GS Bowl off KT crusty but very skiable. Heidi’s was great. Did 4 or so laps trying different lines, and it was sunny. Best snow of the day was Red Dog Glades. Thick and fluffy. My first reaction was “why didn’t we come over here earlier”. Skied til 4pm. And sadly we had to come home.
Another great day in the mountains. Started off a little ruff, but at the end we were ready for more.

The goods!
16E97E3C-E299-4F93-8A02-8D08D7641651.jpeg
25D67104-79C0-40E7-9162-9945CB4E2FC9.jpeg
D7418430-A4F6-4AA6-8A0A-A91DFD8F4A6A.jpeg E57155A4-E841-42F5-8652-DC350296D3E0.jpeg

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
My wife & I will be at Squaw/Alpine Mon-Tues & Weds and I haven't been in 30 years and she has never been........we would truly appreciate any some local help with getting around the mountain. Thanks!

I wrote an unofficial guide for Squaw for EpicSki at some point, so with the demise of EpicSki I threw that guide onto Wordpress:

squawguide.com

If you can meet up with Phil, of course that would be better, but if not, I hope the guide is helpful somewhat. I am not skiing on weekdays, so unfortunately I cant help in person.

Last edited by a moderator:

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
most of the SUVs out of airport rental will be new, and the fleet model in the SUV class they buy typically has awd. I've rented before and everytime got awd vehicle, but its not guaranteed . you will not be able to tell until at the counter.

Don't prepay or use auction/bidding sites, only take a reservation where you can walkaway.

You will have better confirmation of an awd with a local location (ind. operated).

Or you can check the p2p options such as turo or get around. the carshare programs like zipcar will let you pick exact cars but that is intended for longer term signup and subscription and not for one time visitor.
My brother rented from THrifty at Reno airport and they were willing to confirm ahead of time that all of their "Mid size SUV" were AWD. He got a Toyota Forerunner.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Value pass, not able to ski KW again being Saturday, went up the Gondola at HV about 9:45am waiting in line less than 10 minutes though huge lines were at ticket windows. A pair of talkative twentysomething couples from South America with I-Phones in the cabin spent half the ride up taking about every possible variation on selfees imaginable. :)

Mostly cloudy, about freezing, and breezy at the top of Comstock at 10am, soon was more sunny, warming, and by pm almost calm. 14 lift rides 11 on Comet as I yoyo'd Little Dipper till 2:30pm when flat light shadows put me on road home. Long group lines on Comet and Dipper but singles line on Comet was modest mostly 3 to 7 minutes. Don't mind the longer lift waits as lots of people excited and smiling, make for fun day with lots of fun conversations.

Lot of long non-stoppers from road at tower 13 down to between towers 11 and 9.5 but not nearly as smooth as Friday, more mechanical, sloppy, as was a bit beat up from all the bumps at KW. Numbers of logs and rocks poking through especially below tower 11 and hit a couple loose small rocks during the day but otherwise was quick to jump around or over most I suddenly saw at close distance. Snow depth and quality of snow better at KW but by next Friday it will be excellent everywhere. This morning body is not too lively.

Forecast shows big storm Wed pm thru Thu that may close resorts, so may try and be in SLT Wednesday pm then ski Nevada side trees Friday after storm clears. Thursday while based at a Stateline motel will watch the heavy snowfall along the lake shore and town while exploring for snowscape photos.

Last edited:

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
A great day at Mt. Rose with @AKMINK and some other friends. Firm chalk conditions all over. Even skied a few bumps on Jetta. I say "a few" because that's all there was. Met up with @Philpug for a couple of runs before he had to leave. Started getting holiday crowded so we bailed around 11 or 11:30. Live to ski another day. And I forgot to take photos. Looks like Squaw tomorrow. Meet at Dave's around 9.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Can confirm, I've eaten ribs there before on a sunday afternoon back. Yes ribs from a gas station food mart which I would typically be wary of. Not Real BBQ, but it was just as good as any chain restaurant's not-real-bbq ribs (Chilis, Tony Romas, Outback, etc). Perfectly great for a snack.

Yeah, I used to get gas there (great price btw) and something to eat at Startbucks. But starbucks food, which is ok, tastes the same everywhere. This place is unique. They fry the chicken right there. Juicy and spicy, yum! That's more my thing.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Can confirm, Yes ribs from a gas station food mart which I would typically be wary of. Not Real BBQ, but it was just as good as any chain restaurant's not-real-bbq ribs (Chilis, Tony Romas, Outback, etc). Perfectly great for a snack.

They did a survey here In Grass Valley/NC for the best Burritos in town. Not the highly touted Maria's Restaurant. but the Robinsons gas station directly
across the street ! I tried the gas station burritos once -really good.

Shows you never know there the good food is ! Lol

textrovert

Reelin' in the years
Skier
Short day at Squaw today. Yes, I finally made it this season to Squaw.

Reached late- 11am - and was nervous about the parking situation, given that they filled both Alpine & Squaw lots by 11:45am yesterday. Seemed better today. We were directed to Chamonix Pl. and parked a short walk away.

Screenshot_20190113-171826~2.png

IMG_20190113_111426-01.jpeg

Wasn't planning up skiing too long and was looking to cruise today. Warmed up on Big Blue few times, lapped Siberia for a bit, and then ended at 2pm with Red Dog after making a rare Mountain Run down to the base. Siberia laps were fun, mountain run as bad as I remember it always being, Red Dog scrapedn/crunchy in the shadows as usual too.

IMG_20190113_131838-01.jpeg

Had a late lunch at Soupa (love their soup selection and their groomed cheese sandwich, beer sure to add the Peppa sauce for a little spice kick) and headed out.

Made a stop at Blue Zone and met @Tricia there. I dropped off my daughter's boots for some canting adjustment that her race coach has recommended after a day of experimenting. Good to see you again @Tricia :wave:

Last edited:

Jellybeans1000

Getting off the lift
Industry Insider
I'm probably late to the party (nothing new), but there is a dump coming.
IMG_6211.PNG
2 feet and a half according to GEFS mean at lake level (the individual rows are individual members of this particular ensemble).

IMG_6212.PNG
And there is 7 feet of snowfall plus, for the peaks around Tahoe, according to EC. There will be 3-6 feet mid-Mountain, depending on aspect and terrain. The heaviest snowfall is expected Weds evening and Thursday morning.

Beware of avalanches, and other terrain features, particularly those heading into sidecountry and backcountry. Stay safe out there, and definitely reconsider going out back during the heavy parts of the storm on Weds, Thurs and Fri morning.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
BA has a bit less snow
1 ft Tue pm
1.5 to 4 ft with high winds Wed-Thurs
still a lot of snow ! Most at levels down to or below lake level

Hard to pick a day. Maybe Friday which I can't do. :(

Sponsor

Staff online