• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tony

tseeb
Skier

Maybe this deal is gone, but I only see $50 card that can be used for lift ticket to cafe. :huh:
I think buying the $50 Homewood gift card for $50 gives you a $50 gift card that you can apply towards lift ticket ($129 walk-up holiday rate this Sat/Sun). If you want to pre-purchase a ticket for Saturday, it is $98.99 whether you go through Homewood's website or liftopia (and quantities are limited so they could sell out).

A slightly better deal, but at least a 45 min drive (close to twice the drive compared to Homewood) from Squaw is Diamond Peak at $89 using their Bring Your Other Pass (assuming an Ikon is acceptable).

LabMan

No Turns
Skier
I wrote an unofficial guide for Squaw for EpicSki at some point, so with the demise of EpicSki I threw that guide onto Wordpress:

squawguide.com

If you can meet up with Phil, of course that would be better, but if not, I hope the guide is helpful somewhat. I am not skiing on weekdays, so unfortunately I cant help in person.
Had an incredible day yesterday thanks to Phil and Andy. Thanks again guys! Snowing like crazy today

Attachments

• 145EE216-C8DA-4161-A333-A400154843F6.jpeg
    145EE216-C8DA-4161-A333-A400154843F6.jpeg
    150.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 25AD9BB0-113B-4F62-9FC5-9C9C85D9355D.jpeg
    25AD9BB0-113B-4F62-9FC5-9C9C85D9355D.jpeg
    62.8 KB · Views: 8
  • FE57315E-3583-4B10-8AE3-90CBDBCC432B.jpeg
    FE57315E-3583-4B10-8AE3-90CBDBCC432B.jpeg
    150.3 KB · Views: 8

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Maybe this deal is gone, but I only see $50 card that can be used for lift ticket to cafe. :huh:

Indeed Tony, I also wondered if the deal meant $50 towards a lift ticket at walk up prices or the actual cost? Obviously per below it is not going to buy one a whole season pass. In any case, probably worth making a phone call on something like that lest something unstated rise like "there were only limited cards and they've all been sold" or maybe it really is a deal of sorts.
Snippet from the link:

Details

$50 Gift Card that can be used on anything at the resort or at the West Shore Café and Inn. Your gift card can only be used at the resort, and cannot be used for online purchases. You will redeem your e-voucher for a physical gift card at the resort.
Valid for:
  • Lift Tickets
  • Season Passes
  • Lessons and Rentals
  • Homewood On-Mountain Dining
  • Homewood Mountain Sports Retail Store
  • Dining at the West Shore Café & Inn

Eric267

Gettin after it
Skier
Benn dumping pretty good all day at lake level. About 8in here at the house so far and currently nuking big fat flakes. So far this storm is delivering on the high end of the spectrum.

Ended up taking today to teach a friend how to XC ski. Got out to Tahoe XC (Tahoe city) around 10 and it snowed pretty steady all the way until we left around 2. The trails were freakin amazing!! We stayed on green/special green loops but from the looks of things everything was open. Classic track layed along the side of perfectly buffed trails with a couple of inches of fluff on top. One snowmobile making laps and laying down fresh cordorroy through the freshies. If you've never been I highly recommend checking it out.

Bought our tail passes through skiing for schools and saved some loot. Saw some talk about cheap passes.. you can save here on squaw/N*/homewood/TD and all the profits go to local schools. Looks like the squaw deal is good for this weekend.
https://exined.org/skiing-schools

Should be awesome the next few days if things can get open!!

TallGuy

Getting on the lift
Skier
After nine years of season passes at Sugar Bowl, for various reasons my family went with the Ikon pass this season. While I am very familiar with powder days at Sugar Bowl, I don't know what to expect with Squaw or Alpine. I'm thinking of skipping work on Friday and heading up early morning if 80 is open, but with all the anticipated snow, what should I expect to be open? Will they likely get lifts spinning and terrain open very quickly Friday morning? I am getting familiar with Alpine and have been to Squaw a few times. Which resort for Friday?

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
i think there is some dependency if the roads are messed up and if they can get full staff in to dig out. And of course if there are any infrastructure impacts beyond just the snowpack (e.g. power, avalanche, road damage).
you will not be able to tell, you can only make a probability statement. Late opening is maybe 80% or higher probable. Open lower mtn or a least a couple lift by 11am friday is maybe 70%? Open majority of lifts upper by 1pm maybe 40%?

@Eric267 the squaw tix in that link are sun-thurs only.

textrovert

Reelin' in the years
Skier
Ended up taking today to teach a friend how to XC ski. Got out to Tahoe XC (Tahoe city) around 10 and it snowed pretty steady all the way until we left around 2. The trails were freakin amazing!! We stayed on green/special green loops but from the looks of things everything was open. Classic track layed along the side of perfectly buffed trails with a couple of inches of fluff on top. One snowmobile making laps and laying down fresh cordorroy through the freshies. If you've never been I highly recommend checking it out.

http://tahoexc.org/snow-gauge-webcam

:eek:

textrovert

Reelin' in the years
Skier
BTW, this looks awesome. And dogs allowed on some trails too, nice!

For someone who's never done any cross country skiing but at least intermediate+ Alpine skiing, how easy is it to just get on the gear and hit these XC trails?

Last edited:

Spelunker

Booting up
Skier
Looks like I timed my trip pretty well! Even if it doesn't snow from now until when I arrive on the 26th, things will be pretty awesome! Cant wait!

SSSdave

Skier
Exciting next 48 hours queued up for any of we storm watchers. This morning have already brought up about a dozen different weather sites I usually bounce through quickly most storm mornings.

KW reporting 8 inches overnight while temps were a constant 29F 14" over 24 hours that is actually totaling both storm #1 and #2. Nearby CDEC Caples Lake 8000' CAP site shows 1.2 inches liquid and Schneiders SCN 8750' shows 1.3 inches liquid.

Of those reporting early SQ much more at 29", SB 13", NS 23", HV 7", SaT 18".

Looking at the GOES-West 16k water vapor Satellite loop, shows a large detached secondary plume of moisture behind the storm #3 front that the jetstream will pile drive in. Although some are referring to that as an Atmospheric River aka AR, it is not the usual AR Pineapple Express type moisture plume as it is more middle latitude and not stretching down to sub-tropical latitudes near Hawaii that the latter are associated with. Of course that is great for we skiers because when a PE storm occurs. snow levels often go up well above 9k while in this storm will top out about 7k later this afternoon. Thus lower elevations Sierra Cement while elevations above 7.5k a huge dump. Mammoth will get a mammoth dump.

The wunderground Hourly site for South Lake Tahoe at 6361' shows 33F now and upper 30Fs temps during the day with little precipitation between late morning and mid afternoon. Between now and mid morning CALTRANS should clean up all the highways to R1/R2 conditions so that mid day window is when any considering getting up east of the crest ought do so. I had been planning to do so into South Lake Tahoe late morning but probably won't now because an old medical issue has been bothering me and instead may drive up to Dodge Ridge Friday dawn thus avoiding the certain zoo on 80/50/88. I had not expected to ski Thursday in any case and instead just do some snow photography about lake level however snow at lake level will be Sierra Cement that does not tend to be that aesthetic and I hate working in cold sleet. Most resorts will either shut down or have so little open skiing at just cement elevations that it won't be worth all the hassles. I will readily storm ski when winds are light to moderate and snow cold dry fluff.

An interesting thing I've noticed looking at resorts like Kirkwood and Heavenly that have webcams on snow platters is they tend to record a lower amount of snow than actually fell and suspect that is why resorts no longer officially use them. The time lapse images readily shows wind blowing snow off during storm lulls while it is not snowing. The reason is the platters with the measuring stick in inches at center plate are up a few feet above snow on the ground lest large new storms bury them. But what happens is a fair amount of snow on the platters gets blown off while not much from blowing snow closer to the surface adds onto a platter. Sort of same reason the tops of boulders are bare that are sticking out of snow. Hey you resort guys, a better structure would have a fence circling such platters at say a 4 foot distance maybe 3 feet higher than platters and a narrow window for the camcorder view. On the KW webcam all season has been a boulder frame right that had been sticking out of the snow and it is now finally barely noticeable as a small bump soon to be hugely buried.

Last edited:

marjoram_sage

newly addicted to skiing
Skier
Question for folks who track the weather: I'm looking at forecast for next week and I see several days with high temperatures above freezing and the low temp just below freezing.

Does this mean there will be a freeze thaw cycle at the lower elevations? Will there be rain during times of temperature above freezing and that will cause hard pack? I'm curious how to interpret the weather information

upload_2019-1-16_11-30-50.png

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Question for folks who track the weather: I'm looking at forecast for next week and I see several days with high temperatures above freezing and the low temp just below freezing.

Does this mean there will be a freeze thaw cycle at the lower elevations? Will there be rain during times of temperature above freezing and that will cause hard pack? I'm curious how to interpret the weather information

View attachment 63023

If "next week" starts on Monday, that looks to start a dry period. Expect icy first couple hrs and hero/great conditions around 10.30/11a. Lower elevations might get softer a little earlier. If you can handle the icier conditions, you'll have the slopes mostly to yourself. That's my favorite time ;-)

SSSdave

Skier
Question for folks who track the weather: I'm looking at forecast for next week and I see several days with high temperatures above freezing and the low temp just below freezing. Does this mean there will be a freeze thaw cycle at the lower elevations? Will there be rain during times of temperature above freezing and that will cause hard pack? I'm curious how to interpret the weather information
View attachment 63023

Temperatures are highly dependent on exact locations that a forecast is for, actual elevations at that station, and time of day. Freeze/thaw also dependent on sun exposure slope orientation and terrain/tree shadowing.

Go to my post #904 in this thread. Open a window on the wunderground link. Select the Change field. A small map of Tahoe region will display showing locations of many community weather stations. Use your mouse and the +- zoom controls to enlarge to the location of your ski resort of interest and select one of the nearby weather stations, preferably one with a similar altitude. Learn what displays on the HOURLY and TODAY tabs especially the chart with nearby stations noting each station's elevations. For temperatures, extrapolate differences from forecast elevation at 3F degrees per thousand feet to understand what actual slope temperatures may be.

Sponsor