• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Rose is gorgeous today. Sunny, light breeze, not cold. Soft groomers with soft scrape on top. 20190110_091158.jpg
20190110_091153.jpg 20190110_090917.jpg

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I bailed about 11:15. It was getting fairly crowded and I didn't want to push the knee. I got to the parking lot (3, above the Rose lodge) and it was full. So was the Rose main lot. That was pretty surprising for a Thursday.

LuliTheYounger

I'm just here to bother my mom
Skier
Really nice day at Squaw! We got a couple great laps on Siberia first thing in the morning before it got tracked out; it was Florida Man's first expedition up there & we were stoked to luck out on the conditions. I was also stoked to encounter the MOST Argentinian liftie ever, holding the biggest mate I'd ever seen & trying to hide a thermos that must've held about 500 gallons. Didn't catch her name but regardless she is now immortalized in my heart.

murphysf

Ski Well, Be Well.
Skier
Does anyone know if any of the car rental companies at SFO rent AWD vehicles? Or if one could be requested with advance notice.

I tried to call a few of them this morning however was connected to a general call center at the companies headquarters and then were unable to tell me.

Short of going to the rental counters at SFO in person I thought I would ask here if anyone has had success renting an AWD vehicle from SFO.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
most of the SUVs out of airport rental will be new, and the fleet model in the SUV class they buy typically has awd. I've rented before and everytime got awd vehicle, but its not guaranteed . you will not be able to tell until at the counter.

Don't prepay or use auction/bidding sites, only take a reservation where you can walkaway.

You will have better confirmation of an awd with a local location (ind. operated).

Or you can check the p2p options such as turo or get around. the carshare programs like zipcar will let you pick exact cars but that is intended for longer term signup and subscription and not for one time visitor.

murphysf

Ski Well, Be Well.
Skier
most of the SUVs out of airport rental will be new, and the fleet model in the SUV class they buy typically has awd. I've rented before and everytime got awd vehicle, but its not guaranteed . you will not be able to tell until at the counter.

Don't prepay or use auction/bidding sites, only take a reservation where you can walkaway.

You will have better confirmation of an awd with a local location (ind. operated).

Or you can check the p2p options such as turo or get around. the carshare programs like zipcar will let you pick exact cars but that is intended for longer term signup and subscription and not for one time visitor.
Thanks! Which rental car company did you get an AWD from at SFO? How long ago was this.

LuliTheYounger

I'm just here to bother my mom
Skier
@murphysf Not sure about other companies, but we had a whacky run-in with Budget in Sacramento over the AWD. Florida Man reserved an SUV, and when we got there they claimed that he'd only reserved a 2 wheel drive & that AWD is an extra $50 a day.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
@murphysf Not sure about other companies, but we had a whacky run-in with Budget in Sacramento over the AWD. Florida Man reserved an SUV, and when we got there they claimed that he'd only reserved a 2 wheel drive & that AWD is an extra $50 a day.

Wow... I've never heard of a major rental company even offering to guarantee AWD/4WD in the US, much less charge more for it. Something to start looking for I guess.

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
Headed to Tahoe area Jan 26-29, hitting Mt Rose first (never skied there before). I'm trying to see if the Chutes are open, but don't see a run by run listing on the Mt Rose website. Is this info available on line? Looking at Alpine/Squaw/Kirkwood for the same type of info, but haven't rooted around much yet for those areas.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Headed to Tahoe area Jan 26-29, hitting Mt Rose first (never skied there before). I'm trying to see if the Chutes are open, but don't see a run by run listing on the Mt Rose website. Is this info available on line? Looking at Alpine/Squaw/Kirkwood for the same type of info, but haven't rooted around much yet for those areas.
Chutes aren't open. They'll need some more snow that may come next week. Check here for conditions. It'll tell you if the Chute gates are open.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Thanks! Which rental car company did you get an AWD from at SFO? How long ago was this.

Avis/budget national/enterprise and hertz are the better chances to have a modern fleet. I've rented from avis/national/hertz from SFO before and SUVs had AWD, but this was more than 5 years ago before I got my own AWD SUV. The smaller outfits maybe more roll the dice.
There is no car rental at SFO terminal, unless you're doing some special concierge or P2P carshare where the owner leaving the car for you in the lot.
It's all out of a car rental center which is a shuttle or airtrain peoplemover actually down the road.

Since you have to travel, I can also say there is also a SIXT; which is located not in rentalcar complex; but in it's own lot. It's no further away from the terminal, it's just by itself, next to Costco. They have their own shuttles to get you in/out. Just from eye when I drive past, their cars look new and shiny, which is always a sign they choose 1step above the barebones models; but I can't confirm awd-ness.

Another Part of it is, I'm playing the carrental game, and signed up for all their membership programs, and gave away all my info to them online. By doing so, I am signalling to them that I am a business traveler who maybe a repeat business (vs a leisure 1time traveler). This way the hope is they don't treat me like a rube off the street to waste time and upsell as I won't go with them next time.

Last edited:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I've rented an SUV probably 8 or 9 times in New England and out west, and it's been AWD/4WD every time (from Manchester, Denver, Albuquerque, Mammoth Lakes, and Salt Lake City).

I know there's a bit of luck involved there, but it's pretty likely that you'll get one, or can ask for one. Most of mine have been Avis, but a couple also from National... and I think one from Budget and one from Hertz? But I can't remember for sure.

EDIT : Just remembered that I also rented an SUV once in Myrtle Beach, and it was also AWD, and unecessarily so.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
After bailing driving up yesterday did today getting in about 4 hours at KW on my season day 8. Much better base now and cold snow is really enjoyable. Skied Look-Out-Yanek continuously. 4 straight runs were 1 stoppers. Tower 8 to 10 beneath the lift was particularly great. 3 runs from the top nonstop all the way to tower 9. Mr Rubber Band was locked in zone but eventually became Mr Wimp. Had not skied since January 19.

ETLV pass tomorrow have to ski HV that will be more shallow.

Last edited:

LabMan

No Turns
Skier
My wife & I will be at Squaw/Alpine Mon-Tues & Weds and I haven't been in 30 years and she has never been........we would truly appreciate any some local help with getting around the mountain. Thanks!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Sorry we are going to miss you :(.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
My wife & I will be at Squaw/Alpine Mon-Tues & Weds and I haven't been in 30 years and she has never been........we would truly appreciate any some local help with getting around the mountain. Thanks!
We ( @Andy Mink and I) will be around. Meet at Dave's Deli at 9 and we can give you the lay of the land. Andy will be taking it easy with a recovering knee.

Tony

tseeb
Skier
You may want to hit Mt Rose last as they have Two’fer Tuesday on lift tickets. If you are flying out of Reno, it’s also closer to airport. https://skirose.com/snow-report/ says Chuter lift (required to get back to Slide base from bottom of Chutes) is closed and
CHUTES GATES
CLOSED
Notes: All Chutes gates are CLOSED.

Kirkwood has been nearly 100% open for weeks (not sure about Hell’s Delight, which takes a lot of snow, and have not seen T-bar run this year.) I’m not sure of my skiing schedule for the next month, but if I’m planning to be at Kirkwood, I’ll send you a PM. I could share a couple of discount tickets and show you around.

Last edited:

textrovert

Reelin' in the years
Skier
Pulled into Sierra at a leisurely 10:15am today morning and everything was full... They were starting to line their road to 50.

Preferred parking pass totally paid off today. Even though even that lot was full, they were making space for cars with parking passes in other lots. Ended up literally 20 steps from the snow-
MVIMG_20190112_103232.jpg

Huckleberry Gate#2 (North Bowl, East of East Trees) opened up for the first time this season today. No ski buddy for that terrain today so I just gaped it-
IMG_20190112_114658.jpg

We'll always have Eastabout bumps , haha-
IMG_20190112_114244.jpg

After cruising West Bowl for a few laps, time for a Baja break- :D
00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190112124927874_COVER.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsor