• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Spelunker

Booting up
Skier
Hello All! I'll be skiing Squaw for the first time from the 25 to 28th this month and I was hoping to get some general info to make my short trip as efficient as possible. Can anyone share any basic tips on parking, best chairs/areas to focus on? I'll be staying in Truckee and either taking my rental if roads are clear or the bus from Truckee to Squaw. Any general info you think would help would be greatly appreciated.!

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Hello All! I'll be skiing Squaw for the first time from the 25 to 28th this month and I was hoping to get some general info to make my short trip as efficient as possible. Can anyone share any basic tips on parking, best chairs/areas to focus on? I'll be staying in Truckee and either taking my rental if roads are clear or the bus from Truckee to Squaw. Any general info you think would help would be greatly appreciated.!

I think it would help if you described a bit what are your skiing preferences (terrain type, etc). Our own @Alexzn maintains this guide: squawguide.com

A lot of folks here ski Squaw/Alpine, and can give you some pointers - Ideally, you would be able to hook up with someone on the first day :)

Eric267

Gettin after it
Skier

*Since it's a weekend be walking out your door by 7:30 (maybe earlier)

*Try to park by village east loop or at the Far East lift

*spend a day at Alpine

*daves deli for snacks and beers and such

*if the palisades are open hike up and ski kitchen wall or national chute at the very least (fri or mon)

*although the lifts are slow explore the gullys and trees off red dog and squaw creek there's a ton of terrain in there

*wildflower chocolate chip cookies

* spend at least 1/2 a day dedicated to figuring out all the different ways to navigate KT

* possible after this storm silvy wil open. Follow patrols advice and drop into the gates by solitude or on the far side. It's pretty easy to get Cliffed out in there

* lots of fun terrain between granite and Shirley. Follow the high traverse off granite lift out past Magoos

Food in truckee:
Golden rotisserie for cheap, delicious burritos

Moody's steak tar-tar

Old town tap for pizza and medeternian

50/50 to hang and eat/drink

Last edited:

oldfashoned

Out on the slopes
Skier
Adding to the food list is the 2 Thai restaurants: Thai Delicacy and Siam Cuisine. TD is closed on Sunday though.

On the weekend park early like 7:45 and head to Dave’s and/or the Bakery.

Spelunker

Booting up
Skier
Thanks for the tips! I like to ski anything natural, steep and bumpy. I love it all!

How is the drive from Truckee to Squaw? Are there restrictions on the types of vehicles like there are to get up BCC and LCC in Utah?

Tony

tseeb
Skier
How is the drive from Truckee to Squaw? Are there restrictions on the types of vehicles like there are to get up BCC and LCC in Utah?
Drive from Truckee to Squaw follows the Truckee River and is mostly flat and straight. If it's snowing a lot, chains or 4WD with snow tires can be required, but that is mostly to slow down or weed out those who can't drive snow-covered mostly flat and straight roads.
https://opensnow.com/dailysnow/tahoe/post/13247 says "high pressure builds in along the West Coast with a dry pattern expected through the last week of January"

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
@Spelunker where do you usually ski and what kind of terrain? Eric's suggestions are geared towards a pretty advanced skier (Squaw is generally 15-to-20 percent steeper than your average us ski area).

The bus is a good way to get to Squaw but the frequency is pretty pathetic, so count on driving. Wildflour bakery is the best lunch on the mountain for your $. Explore KT22 and Granite, but be careful- if you see a track it does not mean that it is safe to follow, you may be facing a decent size cliff at the end.

The marquee steep bump run at Squaw is the West Face (Moseley's) off KT22, don't miss it, best at the end of the day.

Enjoy, let us know how we can help.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Nobody likes coffeebar? Too fancypants froo froo coffee? Double Oatmilk latte for me.
Don't forget to checkout Downtown truckee. Besides squaw location, there is also coffeebar in downtown truckee, and also one more coffeebar "bakery" nearer to tahoe donner.

If you're coming in, I suppose you're supposed to après at Le Chamois or KT Bar at least once; but that scene is not for me. (I don't have a dog, beard flannel shirt nor bigtruck hat).

Jon Shepherd

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Coming to Squaw skiing Wed-Fri on ikon pass. Sat is a blackout though, and presale tickets not much cheaper than the window. Any ideas on deals? We will have a rental car. We'll ski trees, and pretty much most blacks, mostly off piste, but avoid cliffy terrain and super narrow chutes. Wife does have conference, so might not be able to leave Squaw until 9 or 10 so may be best to just stay there. Any cheaper tickets between there and reno were could buy on the drive up?

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
@LabMan, his wife Julia, @Philpug, and I skied Squaw today. @Tricia joined us for a few quick runs and lunch. Great snow more than made up for some tricky flat light conditions. It was one of those days you are thankful for the slow lifts to catch your breath since there were NO lines!
20190114_100626.jpg
LabMan and Julia at the top of Siberia chair overlooking Tahoe

16959.jpeg
@Philpug, Julia, and me (doing my best all-in-red @PisteOff impression!)

16960.jpeg
At the Gold Coast lodge after lunch

20190114_114132.jpg
The top of Squaw Creek lift, Julia and Phil

Last edited:

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
*Since it's a weekend be walking out your door by 7:30 (maybe earlier)

More specifically, on Saturday get through the railroad tunnel on 89 by 8am or you will be sitting in traffic for 30 minutes between Donner Pass Road and West River Road and won't arrive at the parking lot until 9. The traffic circles and lights are a doozy.

Last edited:

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Coming to Squaw skiing Wed-Fri on ikon pass. Sat is a blackout though, and presale tickets not much cheaper than the window. Any ideas on deals? We will have a rental car. We'll ski trees, and pretty much most blacks, mostly off piste, but avoid cliffy terrain and super narrow chutes. Wife does have conference, so might not be able to leave Squaw until 9 or 10 so may be best to just stay there. Any cheaper tickets between there and reno were could buy on the drive up?

traditionally on blackout days you go try another mtn for the day.
Be advised that wed to friday morn are big storm days.
For squawalpine you will not be able to find any good avail to general public deals. Blackout is supposed to be super peak when no deals are avail, and having deals hurt passsales.
My only thoughts on a deal is if you have a connection to someone who has a corporate program where they prebought vouchers for fixed discounted rate (https://squawalpine.com/corp) typically about $110 and similar to the 4pack perday costs. Other approach is If your wife is at a conference hosted there, that would also be where you'd inquire about group promo ticket associated with that conference.

Last edited:

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier

$50 Homewood with gift card $56 Soda Springs

https://www.liftopia.com/find-tickets/california-lake-tahoe?utf8=✓&start_date=2019-01-19&days=1

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier

fwiw, I would expect wind holds on either or both Wednesday and Thursday, and limited lifts spinning.

Sponsor

Staff online