That doesn't work and everyone on the front range knows it too. They just don't have the gumption to enforce the chain controls via checkpoint.
Case in point 88 usually does not have chain checkpoints and that usually results in some pretty massive pileups as can be attested by @Tony
California drivers are prolly the worst in the nation when the white stuff falls on the road add a few tractor trailer rigs and you have a recipe for disaster.
California/Nevada 2018-19 Tahoe Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups Thread....
Page 46 of 158
On some of the smaller highways and SR it is like as John says.
E.G.. there are often no staffed checkpoints for Luther Pass (89 out of Meyers->Kirkwood), or Kingsbury (207), and only recently on 267.
Just like the SLOW zones and VR yellow jackets on the slopes, the specific checkpoints are somewhat based on history that travelers end up crashing there and shutting down. And still crashing and shutting it all down even with checkpoints. So basically as a population, we lost the privilege to be trusted in those specific sections.
The Main interstate 80 and reserve 50 are considered part of National Defense so extra precautions are taken so that can be accessible and don't fully shutdown(for defense needs that is, they can shutout travelers as needed). The SR doesn't have that same distinction.
Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
textrovert likes this.
Today Tuesday KW lift status shows fully open and HV nearly so. Webcams shows quite flat light balmy day without many on slopes. Balmy storm tonight into Wednesday am may not offer much and following weaker storms through next week have very low forecast confidences. Some general weather trip planning basics to help those sometimes skiing Kirkwood. A useful weather website is wunderground set to the Kirkwood, West Meadow Station with display mode 10-Day:
Looking at the above Snipping Tool capture of part of that page from my laptop, shows snowfall for this next storm coming in after midnight tonight then lasting into early evening Wednesday. Note the red temperature line shows snow will fall at barely below freezing 31F. On that same page shows the elevation 7809 feet. Thus at the top of Cornice Express Chair 6 at 9000 feet the temperature may be 3 or 4 degrees lower so 27F/28F or the top of Chair 4 at 9400 feet 26F/27F. If it was a colder drier snow storm I might have planned to storm ski Wednesday.
Note the wind graph line at the bottom shows 10>15mph during Wednesday skiing hours. However the barren alpine Backside is much more exposed to winds so may easily be twice that. At top note the cloud symbol obviously indicating it will be cloudy all day meaning flat light. So I doubt KW will open that lift Wednesday nor Chairs 2 or 3 so all those areas ought still be untracked for Thursday. Given the higher water content snow and a whole night to set up, that tends indicate the Backside will be a wiser choice than even frontside slopes that were closed and in any case somewhat heavy snow.
Although Caltrans will have a whole night to clear SR88 notice how the temperature line drops down to 15F by dawn that will mean certain chain controls due to icy roads for those like this person driving up in the morning. Note the total snowfall 5-8in plus 3-5in will be easy to clear. Am likely to drive up Wednesday evening and being cheap, sleep in my Forester along SR88 below 5k. Since the snow level is forecast to be 6500-7000 it will be easy for me to park at known obscure spots like Dew Drop allowing a short sunrise drive in my Forester probably in little traffic so ought to pull into emptyish Cornice lot before 8am.
Then notice how Thursday will be mostly blue skies with temperature at 7809 rising to 32F by 10am and 38F by noon. So cool enough that snow out of direct sun exposures ought not suffer much. After staying in SLT Thursday night, Friday looks like similar temps but increasing cloudy flat light. The weekend and beyond show more snow however the purple shows chances given low forecast confidence are maybe only 40% and snow amounts low. Back home Friday evening, over the weekend will look at the situation again then return next week for more days, hopefully getting some time in at Heavenly and even Northstar, both of which could still use a bit more snow.
Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
Hey everyone, this is about a month out at this point and is obviously snow dependent but a work trip is putting me in CA in Feb and allowing me to ski 2/15 and 2/16 and the morning of 2/17. I will be doing 2/15 at Squaw for sure because I have a Ikon pass. I also have 3 days at Homewood to use anytime that I wouldn't feel bad using on the Sunday for a few hours before I fly out since its free, but the question is where do I go on the Saturday?
I don't mind paying window rate (shudder) for a day so Id prefer to get the best skiing possible. Ill choose powder over terrain every time but as for terrain, I like steep, fun terrain (cornices, chutes, ~10ft drops at most probably on this trip since im alone..), but I also enjoy a good groomer too (who doesn't).
Also, Id love to ski with some people so if anyone wants to join Id be happy to meet up. I also need to stop at a specific ski shop in Truckee as well
That weekend is the start of President's Day week (aka "Ski Week"), so expect a LOT of company on the slopes. [Read: winter break for public schools.]
I'll be around at Mt Rose with family, as I'm sure others will be too. PM should you want to see Mt Rose. But, I'm sure you'll get many other offers for elsewhere in Tahoe.
Unfortunately I am all too familiar.
I'm actually blacked out at Alpine Meadows because of Presidents day weekend. Otherwise it would really be that simple! I figure if I am going to pay, I might as well pay for the best experience! I have no problem paying to go there if its the best.
NOTE: Northstar will be very expensive on a blackout date and the most expensive of the Tahoe Vail properties.
Over NewYears' blackout, it was $170 window, $150 for online purchase 1day before midnight.
If lucky, you can meet up with someone with an epicpass to get you on buddy ticket rate which then should be $105. (If they are buying out of their pass blackout it will be 170 / 2=$85). Same buddy ticket advice goes for HV ($101) or KW($77) as well too.
Really nice day at Alpine! We went early and had the first few runs basically to ourselves. Skipped over to Lakeview by 10 & got some beeeeeautiful fast laps down Outer Limits - only a couple other people, blue skies, freshly groomed, soft but not sticky - overwhelmed by the urge to yell WHEEEEEE on the way down.
Sherwood was a little sloppy by the time we got over there, but we talked to a girl on the lift who said she'd had a lot of fun on Peanut Butter Bowl. (I just looked it up and I'm not sure if this was ever the official name? It cracked me up, though; I think anyone who's skied it would agree that it should be official.)
Did one trip up Summit, but by then the clouds had come in up top, and we gave up after a very nice old guy informed us that we should stick to Scott or Roundhouse if we weren't "familiar with the mountain." Don't know what goggles he had on, but many years of falling off the cornice did not help me find the cornice by Braille.
Pictured: Florida Man now 2-for-2 on getting duped into doing Scotty's Beam, and 2-for-2 on taking a midmountain lay down on Scotty's Beam. He has now perfected his kick turn technique to the point where he only requires one ski; we are all very proud of him. He asked that I please post the picture where you can see his favorite Send It shirt.
Went to Squaw early in hopes of catching a nice morning run. Funi was spinning, but only Mountain Run was open. Definitely snowing up at Gold Coast, but the bottom half was getting hit with sleet & basically soup. Whole thing was ungroomed with pretty bad vis, so we took one run, decided that it counted as a "ski day" to bring us ahead of our nemesis Eddy in the numbers, and got home by 11. Mountain ops twitter says that they did lift the wind hold on Gold Coast & Shirley, but our gear is too damn wet to take back out.
Major change in weather forecast over next week as the jetstream now set to push systems right at our region. Models had been low confidence in day to day change but now are more confident though day to day details of how that plays out are not. The wunderground site shows the KW site 10-day with some snow each day 2.5 to 4 feet of accumulation and nicely temps all below 32F except slightly above Friday pm. Check BA's opensnow dot com expert input in a couple hours.
Was supposed to be on the road by dawn this nicely sunny day and gear is piled up at door to go skiing today however am trying to understand what an old internal medical issue is doing so will delay that at least a few hours as may need to bail and if not may just ski KW this pm then Friday then HV Saturday.
Page 46 of 158