• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

LuliTheYounger

I'm just here to bother my mom
Skier
Is the gully open at least!?

I don't think @luliski has looked twice at the gully since that time I thoroughly trounced her in there on my little 90cm kid skis circa 2007, hahahaha. It's still closed but we did see a patrol guy knocking around down there like they were thinking about opening it up.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier

God, now I’m hoping we can even get up there next week. peter and I are not regular drivers, so driving through/on any snow for us will be character building...and we also have to make it up the treacherous hill going up to Tahoe donner. Hopefully there is a clearing some time during our trip....

What do you do when you start sliding? Just be calm and go with the flow until your car stops?
take a moment to read your vehicle's manual. If you have electronic aids, awd, locking modes, or snow modes know how to turn all that on.

find an open street with a lot of runout and practice a harder brakes to see how your tires are and how long to stop.
Over all, just leave lots of space and go smoothly.
Don't brake and turn at same time, grip is shared by both. Take a much longer runway to begin slowdown in a straightline well before you get to an intersection, offramp, or turns.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

God, now I’m hoping we can even get up there next week. peter and I are not regular drivers, so driving through/on any snow for us will be character building...and we also have to make it up the treacherous hill going up to Tahoe donner. Hopefully there is a clearing some time during our trip....

What do you do when you start sliding? Just be calm and go with the flow until your car stops?

Do you have a car with AWD? I think you'll be fine; Florida Man had a rental Ford Escape, and he's from Florida. He's had some snow driving experience because he goes to school in western New York; and he had some mountain driving experience from a cross-country road trip a few years back, but never the two together. He got an Air BnB up a steep road in Carnelian Bay and it has snowed almost the whole time he's been here, and he's been fine. He learned how to put chains on. It helps that he likes driving, though. It's hard to explain what to do when you slide. The big thing is to have a soft touch. Don't overcorrect! Try to keep your speed in control so that you don't slide (don't suddenly hit the brakes before a turn, for example.
Are you renting a car or using your parents?
I'm hoping to go up to ski with you on the 15th. if you wanted I could pick you up on the way, but it might be a little late morning. Let me know.

Pumba

Out on the slopes
Skier
take a moment to read your vehicle's manual. If you have electronic aids, awd, locking modes, or snow modes know how to turn all that on.

find an open street with a lot of runout and practice a harder brakes to see how your tires are and how long to stop.
Over all, just leave lots of space and go smoothly.
Don't brake and turn at same time, grip is shared by both. Take a much longer runway to begin slowdown in a straightline well before you get to an intersection, offramp, or turns.

Is this English? We don’t know about cars! I guess we’ll just let our instincts take over.

Pumba

Out on the slopes
Skier
We have a 4wd Jeep Cherokee that my parents keep as their truckee car, so I’m assuming it has the right tires and all these abilities. It’s also the only car I feel comfortable driving. Their other more serious Jeep is too big and unwieldy for me.

Remind me...the gas pedal is the smaller one on the right, and the break is the larger on the left, right?:D

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Is this English? We don’t know about cars! I guess we’ll just let our instincts take over.

Think about it like skiing in powder (and pretend I know what I'm talking about there... ). No sudden movement... be as smooth as possible.... have patience.

And plan to need a lot of room to stop (brake gently to start, and a lot earlier than you would otherwise).

Pumba

Out on the slopes
Skier
We have a 4wd Jeep Cherokee that my parents keep as their truckee car, so I’m assuming it has the right tires and all these abilities. It’s also the only car I feel comfortable driving. Their other more serious Jeep is too big and unwieldy for me.

Remind me...the gas pedal is the smaller one on the right, and the break is the larger on the left, right?:D

Pumba

Out on the slopes
Skier
I don't think @luliski has looked twice at the gully since that time I thoroughly trounced her in there on my little 90cm kid skis circa 2007, hahahaha. It's still closed but we did see a patrol guy knocking around down there like they were thinking about opening it up.

If I’m there and you and your mom are there, AND it’s open, we’re going. Could be a disaster for me self.., but you guys have some ski days under your belt already...

If it’s not open, then broccoli tree and scott side it is...

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Be calm, steer GENTLY into the slide, keep your foot off the gas and the brake.

Eric267

Gettin after it
Skier
Snowy past few days here in the hood. Got about 2 feet here at the house in a 36hr peroid ending early this morning. First 1/2 the storm was pretty light so yesterday was good although you could feel the frozen boilerplate underneath. Some point last night it warmed up and layed down the final 6in or so of the storm as heavy Sierra cement. Today was pretty good in the morning as long as you were getting fresh tracks and bombing at high speed. As it chundered up it got really grabby and really sticky. Definitely a good base builder storm that didn't make for the best snow conditions.

Yesterday around 4pm.
image.jpeg

@Pumba the advice I always give people driving in up here winter conditions is that "your gears are your friend". Most people just figure if your in 4wd your good, but if your in drive there's a lot of play between the gas pedal and transmition. If it's snowy and your going downhill you almost always want to be in 2nd or 3rd gear so when you take your foot off the gas before you even get it over to the brake the car is letting the transmition naturaly slow itself down. When going up hill it helps to regrip the road without you pressing too hard on the pedal and spinning out. 1st gear is for when you want to get up or down something steep at 10mph or less.

When I stop to help people out my first question is what gear are you in.. It's almost always drive/overdrive!!!

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So true about the gears. I took my manual transmission CRV up this past weekend, and being able to shift as conditions varied was helpful. I had forgotten how much fun it is to drive that car in the snow. I don't know much about using gears in automatic transmission cars. My Impreza has paddle shifters, and I like those, but they are not as good as having a stick. How do you shift in an auto transmission car? Can you shift as you're moving along? Excuse my ignorance; I learned on stick and have pretty much only driven that until I got my Impreza (with paddle shifting). I'm thinking @Pumba might find this useful, too.

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Next time you are getting ready to drive the automatic, look at the symbols. You should have D1..D{n}, where {n} is the number of gears in your automatic transmission. And, yes you can make the adjustments whenever you want. But, you may not like the sound that is produced. Just like the manual transmission, lower numbered gears for lower speeds. Be gentle.

Eric267

Gettin after it
Skier
So true about the gears. I took my manual transmission CRV up this past weekend, and being able to shift as conditions varied was helpful. I had forgotten how much fun it is to drive that car in the snow. I don't know much about using gears in automatic transmission cars. My Impreza has paddle shifters, and I like those, but they are not as good as having a stick. How do you shift in an auto transmission car? Can you shift as you're moving along? Excuse my ignorance; I learned on stick and have pretty much only driven that until I got my Impreza (with paddle shifting). I'm thinking @Pumba might find this useful, too.

Yep you can change through an automatics gears while driving. Best way to figure it out is while your driving your car around town just put it in a gear and accelerate until you hear the tranny pull. Pay attention to the mph it's pulling at and remember those #mph through all your low gears. You can then drop gears on a downhill to a little less than the #mph it pulls at to slow yourself down and gain traction without putting to much pressure on your transmission.. Hopefully that makes sense since you know that tranny pull sound/feeling from driving stick

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
@Pumba lives in NYC and doesn't drive much to begin with. So I'd suggest for someone not all that used to driving period, much less driving in snow, that they take it easy and not worry about gear changes. It's too easy to have that lead to more questions and distractions (down hill or up hill? when do you shift? why did the engine just get louder? etc.)

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier

Fix the car after it hits something and drive slower next time? Sorry for the sarcasm, but honestly the best approach is to get it right the first time. Its not something that is easily "taught".

I'd just say check the forecast and rent a car w/ awd . I think pretty much every car has traction control and ABS these days. Or put chains on and leave them on. I hate them, but seriously, you aren't going to slide or have traction issues, with chains on. 90% of the reason is that you can't go over 30 mph w/o vibrating your teeth out.

Tytlynz64

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Bad assumption. first thing I did when I got mine is swap the tires.

Tony

tseeb
Skier
The brake is the one on the left, but you still use your right foot. BREAK is what you don't want to do to your parent's car.

I had a few drives since Sat. that were much longer than they should have been due to all the drivers that think 15-20 mph is the appropriate speed to drive in the snow. If you can only go 15-20, you probably should NOT be on the road or at least pull over and let the 5-100 cars stuck behind you go by. Even yesterday evening coming down highway 50 on wet road (hours after chain control ended and it had not been below freezing for 18 hours), some people thought 35 was an appropriate speed on straightaways (turns are posted 45-50).

Back to the stoke...I made a better decision on Monday and was at Stagecoach before lift started loading for passholders about 825. I was on about the 15th chair, but missed friend who was staying near there and was waiting for me. Maybe because she is well under 5' tall and when it's a powder day and line is forming, I get in it and then put on my skis. We connected after a couple of laps.

Heavenly reported 12" new with 8 overnight on top of 9" new the previous day. But it was very dense and crusted from wind or precipitation that fell once it got warm. I looked for better snow by going into more protected trees with varying exposures, but did not find anything better so I skied the crust, looking for deepest and most untracked available. My friend was struggling as the only groomed run had a lot of loose snow and being about 90 lbs. she could not make her usual tight, precise turns. We were joined by another friend and (after 8 Stagecoach laps for me) eventually moved to and rode Boulder twice, the only NV chair Heavenly added before noon. Lower NV trail that connects from Olympic to top of Boulder had usual excellent snow. I will add some pictures when I have more time,

On shuttle back to my car, I heard Olympic chair had opened, but it is not very steep or wind-protected so I left about noon. After a stop at Dart to re-fill my growler with Lagunitas Hazy Memory, I stopped by cabin to re-heat some pizza and do a little more shoveling and picking up and packing. Heavenly opened everything including the Face in the afternoon. So I drove to and parked close to the Tram. I just missed one so I poled over to and went up Gunbarrel, then Powder Bowl and Sky chairs, getting to 10K top about 1:30. There was a sign going towards NV warning you that Dipper was not running and if Comet and Olympic both closed, you were on your own getting back to CA as Heavenly has eliminated shuttles between NV bases and gondola base.

I took high entrance to Milky Way Bowl and found some decent deep untracked. I took gate 1 into Mott and got into the main branch of The Y higher than on Friday, It was steep enough that crust was not a problem although I did have to watch the sluffing. Near bottom I cut below Rocky Point and found the usual steep and deep lightly tracked and very enjoyable. I was going to use Dipper (had just opened) to go back through higher gate into Mott, but rode chair with a boarder who wanted to know where the good trees were. I offered to show him Meteor Woods, but after crashing together when unloading, I guess he decide not to follow me. I headed that way, but found skiers right at top of Dipper Run was untracked and somewhat wind-protected. I eventually went across run into Dipper Bowl. Next time up I skied Meteor as run was not tracked out, then tried to get to gate 3 on Mott, but without road at top of lift, I got too low and did not want to hike up to gate as snowboarder were doing so I went into untracked below it.

Anyway this has probably gone long enough...I ended up riding Mott 3x (repeated Y getting into it and exiting below Rocky Point higher) and Dipper 4x. Returning to CA base, I skied Maggie's Canyon, probably first day open, and Advanced Roundabout, which had opened on Sunday and was signed expert only. I got back to cabin at 4, was on the road at 5 and home at 9, where my wife and girls (Beagle and White German Shepherd) were all happy I had not extended my trip past 5 days. Choosing Heavenly over Kirkwood turned out to be a good call as I heard Kirkwood did not open, Carson Pass and Spur were both closed Monday morning due to avy control so people that tried to get there ended up back at Heavenly.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Reg: the ClusterF*** with chain controls on 80- They
Should do like Colorado on I-70.They usually have NO checkpoints. CO will post chains or AWD but let you decide if you have the right equipment and snow driving skills.

They post that there is a very high $670 fee if you get stuck and block the road due to not having AWD/4x4 or proper tires. ✌️ Over the holiday the fine doubled to $1340 !

Btw they dropped chains on 80 about 11am yesterday and I had no troubles getting home over Donner yesterday at 2 pm. Lost maybe 30 min due to extremely heavy traffic-mostly large trucks( no skiers at 2)

Tony

tseeb
Skier
Reg: the ClusterF*** with chain controls on 80- They
Should do like Colorado on I-70.They usually have NO checkpoints. CO will post chains or AWD but let you decide if you have the right equipment and snow driving skills.
No way. Closures due to spinouts would be worse and people would die. CO lack of controls leads to 50 car pile-ups on Vail Pass like this one I was delayed by: https://www.denverpost.com/2008/03/31/50-car-pileup-on-vail-pass/
We were driving from Aspen to pre-paid room in Dillon. When we got on I-70E at Glenwood Springs, signs said it was closed on Vail Pass. We figured it would open soon, but had to stop for a very long dinner in Edwards as I remember before it opened. When it did, it was mostly one lane in each direction with a lot of carnage still on side of the road or being towed away. I was driving a front-wheel-drive minivan and had a great short April Fools Powder Day the next day.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online