• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Pumba

Out on the slopes
Skier
Finally landed in Denver after a flight delay. What a funny airport. Now I’m in my Uber stuck in crazy traffic to get out of here! Apparently roads are being worked on. Here are several lanes merging into what seems like one main exit. That one exit is the one that seems to be partially closed now.....

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
img_5198-jpg.45651

Will you please tell the current occupants to get out of my house?

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Today was a blast. Great to see everybody.

Zuma.

View attachment 45661

@James in Zuma off Northern Spy. The off piste finally softened in the afternoon. Quite a bit of runnel and sun cupping out here, but skiable fast with full turn commit.

View attachment 45662

The slush continued to deepen. Emily below.

View attachment 45663 View attachment 45664

A little Pali from Standard to International while @James and @mdf kept trying rotten bump pitches back down to Exhibition.

View attachment 45665

The Sundance slush at the end. BMX cool down slush laps are perfect on days like today.

View attachment 45666

Best skis for the conditions? Thinking about what to bring...

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier

A longer and softer ski was probably better for not getting rattled around off piste as it was softening and I prefer a powder ski for slush. In the Zuma pics above, James is on Renoun Z90 I think and I’m on Fatypus M5. I don’t think there was much difference in tactical approach in that you didn’t want to ski that stuff slow.

@mdf said he felt like he was getting bounced around on the Atomic Vantage 97 when it was harder earlier in the day. It was really only skiable because the surface wasn’t at all grabby, just dealing with how sun affected the terrain texture is (hammered).

If it’s overcast at all, though, stiffer/damper. It depends on preference of course. I like to ski slush like powder to the extent possible, but others prefer carving.

So I had fun spraying slush piles, but any time I got to the harder surface underneath in a centered stance I had to be careful. That whole detuned edges thing.

The weather forecast is challenging with a cutoff low sitting to the west spitting out bits of energy in SW flow. Could be sunny morning with midday storm clouds, overcast and reef, or periods of snow. That would inform a lot of things.

Last edited:
TS
James

James

Out There
Instructor
Got Slaloms?
IMG_5180.JPG
@KingGrump jr on 158 fis slaloms

But whatever you like to go through stuff on. 75-95 is fine.

Spent the day on the Rossi Masters gs ski 180. The square tip is annoying but I have to learn to deal with it. I was going to switch to the Stormrider 95 but, best to learn how to ski.

I actually hope it doesn't snow tmrw. That would just bring out too many people. Unless it truly dumps, I don't see it getting better.
IMG_5200.JPG
@Pumba , @Drahtguy Kevin @UGASkiDawg at the beach spot.

IMG_5201.JPG
@mdf fell in quick sand while standing in a lift line.

IMG_5205.JPG
@cgeib , @mdf end of day on Lenawee with dark clouds moving in.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
fastly-shotzski-jpg.45705

What kind of wax do you use on that thing?

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
That's how I felt going to Chile in August. At least around here we have enough racers heading to Chile/New Zealand to train so it wasn't too bad. Still got some weird looks though.
My work boss dragged snow skis to Hawaii to ski Mauna Kea. Looks he got at airports in Hawaii were priceless! On a later trip to Oahu I saw a sailor with a t- shirt that said “Ski Mauna Kea”. I said I knew some one that did it. He gave me a puzzled look like I was nuts.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
ohhhhh ....

Heading out on a long, presumably hangover-removing ride tomorrow, during which I will come to terms with my sense of loss around all this and realign with the reality that in my world spring is more or less here. Like Dr. Strangelove, I need to just f-ing let it go and learn to love the black flies.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Heading up to AB tomorrow! Couldnt decide which skis to take so put all there pairs in the car. Anyone is welcome to try them! (Should fit BSL from 310 to 325 give or take). Probably gonna get there early and do a skin up before lifts open.

Lady_Salina

Out on the slopes
Skier
So now I've found the right trip report, I can put up some from today.
Met up early and headed out at opening. Got the full day in. Finished the day with Cara wanting to learn how to take a cornice so James, myself, MDF and Jimmy went off to find small drops to let her learn ). She did great and we all had a little fun.

Early morning group, lift open with Trish, Ski Nurse, Sue, Jimmy, Emily, Old Boot
IMG_0076_1.jpg

Ran into a few more a few runs later. Gary Skier, Emily, Phil, Bill, Ski Nurse, Old Boot, Trish, Jimmy. I might have a few names wrong.
IMG_0078_1.jpg

Caught up with MDF and James a little while later, skied some Montezuma bowl before lunch then after lunch Cara wanted to learn to go off a cornice.
James too us all to some small cornice jumps, little drops so she could start to learn to ski off them. Fun way to end the day.

First try.

IMG_0083_ps_1.jpg
Lands it.
IMG_0084_ps_1.jpg

James shows how it's done. Pops up.
IMG_0088_ps_1.jpg
Carry's the air.
. IMG_0089_ps_1.jpg

Jimmy followed along.
IMG_0090_ps.jpg

IMG_0091_ps_1.jpg
Second go, Cara wanted more )
IMG_0093_ps_1.jpg IMG_0096_ps_1.jpg IMG_0098_ps_1.jpg
MDF makes the turn in the air.
IMG_0104_ps_1.jpg
Third time.. Cara was having fun. A little bigger this time and she wanted to go straight at it.
IMG_0107_ps_1.jpg IMG_0108_ps_1.jpg IMG_0109_ps_1.jpg

She's getting it... MDF having some fun with it too. The person watching was learning to come off the cornices also. Soft slow spring snow made it perfect for learning. IMG_0112_ps_1.jpg

Sponsor

Staff online