• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
James

James

Out There
Instructor
My flight is changed to 5 hrs later. So off to Union Station then16th st mall I guess. Any suggestions?
Via the new train line you get by the hotel at DIA.

IMG_5218.JPG
Good all day. Multiple rides.

IMG_5217.JPG
The platform outside the hotel.

IMG_5219.JPG
Inside the train. Plenty of space for bags. Oh, there's a bag check at level 1 of hotel in the outside corridor. You can check bags more than 4hrs ahead, but must be at least 90min ahead. Not sure all airlines are represented. It's free like curbside.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I didn't know about the bag check at the hotel. Good to know!

I usually take the train to and from the airport, parking in Golden for free and taking time for a drink or two in one of the many bars in Union Station. You can also take buses with that pass, so you could ride to REI, or Coors Field. The Museum of Natural History and Science (or something to that effect) is good. The Mall is rather ho hum and typically loaded with panhandlers; some of which take credit cards. Ya. Really.

TS
James

James

Out There
Instructor
I didn't know about the bag check at the hotel. Good to know!
Yes, it's very good. Otherwise I'd be held captive at the airport or drag a 48lb ski bag and 49lb suitcase all over.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Mother's Day at the Basin

20180513_075639_Swan Mountain Road.jpg
About 7:30 am, driving over Swan Mountain Road.

20180513_103454.jpg
The Dynamics were and are a great ski.

20180513_103515.jpg
On the Norway Lift for the last ride ever. This lift is scheduled for removal.

20180513_131524.jpg
Sophie and her mom, Lisa. Having fun with a bit of soot from the chafing dish.

20180513_203526_Forget Me Not Lane.jpg
Home made dough pizza. Every one (there were 5 IIRC) was fabulous.

20180513_203538_Forget Me Not Lane.jpg
@James and @dean_spirito (aka James Dean) proudly presenting their pie for inspection.

180513 - dynamic retro day - IMG_5212.JPG
(thanks for the pictures, @James)

Another Mother's Day outing in the books.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My flight is changed to 5 hrs later. So off to Union Station then16th st mall I guess. Any suggestions?
Right by Union Station:
  • Walk west to Confluence Park and check out REI in the old train museum
  • Cruise Room is an iconic bar in the Oxford Hotel is worth peeking into but will probably be empty.
  • Urban Farmer has a good happy hour in the same hotel.
  • So does Jax fish house across the street.
  • Tattered Cover Book Store - fantastic huge independent bookstore.
  • The Parlour - right across the street from Union Station, you could get that JFK cut ^^^ cleaned up nicely. ;)

Lady_Salina

Out on the slopes
Skier
Last few photos. Made it home wish I was still skiing, mother's day is always such a great way to finish up. Guess the official end of my 2017/2018 ski season unless I can find my way to some summer skiing place, Australia, New Zealand, Chile, Argentina, anyone? Well some good photos of James in the bumps yesterday, hope to see everyone again soon

Beautiful day at the beach.
Untitled_Panorama1_1.jpg
Fun in the bumps @James
. IMG_0127.jpg .

IMG_0126.jpg

IMG_0128.jpg
One from the the evening on Friday night.
IMG_0075.jpg

Lady_Salina

Out on the slopes
Skier
Via the new train line you get by the hotel at DIA.

View attachment 45871
Good all day. Multiple rides.

View attachment 45870
The platform outside the hotel.

View attachment 45872
Inside the train. Plenty of space for bags. Oh, there's a bag check at level 1 of hotel in the outside corridor. You can check bags more than 4hrs ahead, but must be at least 90min ahead. Not sure all airlines are represented. It's free like curbside.

Not sure when you posted but... Go right on 16th across the park and bridge up the road a half block and get some Little Man Ice Cream
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/''/...:0x12bf9a2246987c4!2m2!1d-105.0111!2d39.75948

http://www.littlemanicecream.com/

Chris Walker

Ullr Is Lord
Skier
Thanks for all the great photos and video, everyone. I hated missing it, but it's nice to experience it vicariously over the Internet. :D

How's the snowpack? Any opinions on whether they'll make it to mid-June? I'm 6 weeks post-op now and starting to wonder if a few gentle turns would be in the cards in another month or so (I'll ask my surgeon first). I had saved a day on my 4 pack. :rolleyes:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The Tally Family arrived which always makes a Mother's Day a little more fun, because well, @kimmyt is such a fun mom.
Putting good use to the @KULKEA Tandem Duffle
IMG_0184.jpeg
Getting ready to hit Molly Hogan
Abby looks comfy on dad's shoulders :D
IMG_0185.jpeg

I know someone got some photos of the kids on snow. :popcorn:

Arapahoe Basin is definitely winding down for the season with lots of added terrain closures and flowing water.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We hugged our friends good bye this morning and convoyed out of the ski house.
IMG_0190.jpeg

This all started on a thread 11 years ago Trekchick heads to A-Basin on an Impulse for Mother's Day
My first chair lift ride on Exhibition
231196_12918350017_6629_n.jpg

222946_12918380017_8572_n.jpg

I was humbled, once again, at the great people who surround us.
I can't tell you how many people thank us for doing this, for bringing skis to demo, inviting people in for meals, and for socializing all week long.
I'll admit, I was on sensory overload by the end of the week, but I love these events.
I'd like to thank you all for showing up.

As long as you keep coming, we'll keep doing it

Hope you all have safe travels as @Philpug @Ziggy and I are headed west on I-70.
IMG_0191.jpeg

TS
James

James

Out There
Instructor
How's the snowpack? Any opinions on whether they'll make it to mid-June?
It's doubtful unless they get snow. There's a dust layer that's absorbing lots of sun, it's warm, snow is disappearing fast. It actually snowed yesterday - nothing really except technically it has now snowed everytime I've been to Abasin in May. This was the first time it didn't really snow though.

Right by Union Station:
  • Walk west to Confluence Park and check out REI in the old train museum
  • Cruise Room is an iconic bar in the Oxford Hotel is worth peeking into but will probably be empty.
  • Urban Farmer has a good happy hour in the same hotel.
  • So does Jax fish house across the street.
  • Tattered Cover Book Store - fantastic huge independent bookstore.
  • The Parlour - right across the street from Union Station, you could get that JFK cut ^^^ cleaned up nicely. ;)
Thanks for all the suggestions. Due to a rainstorm, wandering time was cut significantly. I ate at Union Station. That place is more like a hotel/mini mall. Actually lots of tables to sit down and eat at. Nice.
IMG_5223.JPG
Inside of Union Station. Yeah, a sliding game.
IMG_5221.JPG
Rain. To the left down the street is Coors Field.

I took the 16th St Mall shuttle and went to the American Museum of Western Art. (Anschutz Collection). Basically walked right past it. Great little museum. You ring the door bell, but it's pretty big small space.

IMG_5224.JPG
Down stairs and ring bell. Admission is $5 and a free audio guide. Yes, five. They don't allow photos, and it's hard to find specific images from there. Here's a couple.

IMG_5231.JPG
Thomas Hart Benton

IMG_5236.JPG
William Jacob Hays
The dark is all buffalo.

IMG_5225.JPG
Front of Union Station again after the rain .

IMG_5226.JPG
Platform at Union station. Very nice. Is this really America? Well done Denver.

IMG_5230.JPG
On the way back to the airport.

About the museum:
https://www.denverpost.com/2012/05/...que-opportunity-to-connect-with-american-art/

Last edited:

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
It's good to know about the museum. I'm usually just passing through, eating and drinking, but if I get delayed, I'll know what to do now. Safe travels

Sponsor

Staff online