• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Is it the fog that hides the light?
It is overcast frequently. Sometimes the clouds are low and you're skiing in fog. But, sometimes there are inversions and you're above the clouds. Basically, in winter you want the lake to freeze early. I'm not nuts about bright sun, I get migraines. And I'm not good in heat over 80°. In winter the days are really short; conversely in summer they are really really long. I go to bed when it's still light out. And the dogs think it's time for breakfast far too early in summer.

Screenshot_20190326-225958.png

Last edited:
TS
Kneale Brownson

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
Thanks for the data, Sib. Maybe after I have my cataracts removed I'd be less concerned about dim light, but I doubt it. I don't like having to rely on trees to let me see the snow. Wife can get down a mogul field without taking her skis off--her words--but has zero tree experience. I'm barely experienced in trees. Hospital size means nothing, it's the quality of medical care available that's important. I'd guess Whitefish attracts good practitioners because of the mountain and water sports.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
There are definitely a lot of reduced visibility days here, no getting around it. And as you age that lack of contrast gets to be a bigger deal. Some winters are worse than others. Some days you just don't go to the summit, some you survive the Ant Hill and stick to Chair 11. Some you just go home. If you are young and a good skier you tell your old mom to ski with her feet... (I'm the old mom.)

HardDaysNight

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I know it’s none of my business but do you have any symptoms or was the finding of an increased haematocrit incidental to a routine blood test? Any signs of heart failure? Impaired cardiac or peripheral perfusion? People who live at altitude frequently, actually invariably, have hemodynamic and/or other compensations that are of no pathological significance at all.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Here is some data comparing both Reno, NV and Truckee NV (for the purpose of comparing ski days) to Breckenridge. I just choseTruckee as the closest "real town" to skiing. There is no reason to ski in the clouds and fog. I'm like you ... I just don't do well in flat light anymore.
Screen Shot 2019-03-27 at 4.34.20 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-03-27 at 4.35.07 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-03-27 at 4.37.07 PM.png

For the record, I am not dumping on Montana by any means. I retired in June and we have been researching possible retirement locations for a number of years. We love both Idaho and Montana but eliminated them because I just plain old love sunshine. We love living in California but are looking for a more tax friendly location. So far, Reno is winning by a lot! To be honest though, we will keep our current cabin in Big Bear, CA for summer months as Reno is a bit hot for us in the summer. Lake Tahoe is plenty close by though.

TS
Kneale Brownson

Kneale Brownson

Instructor
I know it’s none of my business but do you have any symptoms or was the finding of an increased haematocrit incidental to a routine blood test? Any signs of heart failure? Impaired cardiac or peripheral perfusion? People who live at altitude frequently, actually invariably, have hemodynamic and/or other compensations that are of no pathological significance at all.

Just the annual complete blood count. Absolutely no other symptoms from back when I was diagnosed with pulmonary hypertension when I needed checking out so the surgeon would address my tibia plateau that was in three pieces. That number has been cut in half through sleeping with oxygen and meditation. Oh, yeah, my blood pressure went up a few points to like 120/80. My normal has been 108/68.

TS
Kneale Brownson

Kneale Brownson

Instructor
How about a second opinion before up and moving away from your home of so many years?
Or have you already done that?

You mean a second medical opinion? Two physicians involved already.

HardDaysNight

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Just the annual complete blood count. Absolutely no other symptoms from back when I was diagnosed with pulmonary hypertension when I needed checking out so the surgeon would address my tibia plateau that was in three pieces. That number has been cut in half through sleeping with oxygen and meditation. Oh, yeah, my blood pressure went up a few points to like 120/80. My normal has been 108/68.

It might be worth consulting another cardiologist, perhaps one well versed in the effects of dwelling at altitude, and asking what, if any, functional decompensations your heart is actually exhibiting. If there are none then that is an important fact to consider. The minimal change in your recorded blood pressure is of no consequence.

TS
Kneale Brownson

Kneale Brownson

Instructor
I'm pretty confident in this cardiologist. Thick blood is a symptom of oxygen deprivation. My per cent of oxygen measured by my pulse oximeter improves significantly when I go to lower elevations.

This guy and the one I consulted before him are both involved in an ongoing study of altitude effects.

TS
Kneale Brownson

Kneale Brownson

Instructor
Yeah, that's what I was wondering. So sorry you're having to go through this.

Life's an adventure, LF. It was a considerable jump from nearly 70 years living around the same state at 600 or less feet of elevation to move to 10,000 feet. The next landing spot will add to it.

Sponsor

Staff online