• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
The lack of oxygen at 10,000 feet is killing me—literally. My body is reacting to the oxygen situation by creating excess red blood cells, making my blood so thick the heart is stressed from pumping it around.

My cardiologist said bloodletting is not the answer: I must address the oxygen situation. He suggested using a portable oxygen concentrator (POC) to supplement the big concentrators in my house. Turns out the POCs only work where the ambient air temperature is above 41 degrees F. Useless in Breckenridge in the winter.

So, I need to live somewhere below 6500 feet of elevation. No problem going higher to ski.

My first thought is Routt County Colorado, home to Steamboat Springs. I could live out in the county and go higher easily to ski.

Any other suggestions?

Uncle Louie

The Original Gathermeister
Skier
Switch gears and move to Salt Lake City or the surrounding area. I imagine the company would allow you to transfer to PCMR.

Park City's elevation is right around 7000 ft.....probably workable.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
There's RFTA from Glenwood to Aspen, but Sunlight also has a limited shuttle:

Sunlight Mountain Resort runs a shuttle service from Glenwood Springs to Sunlight Mountain and back. Shuttle riders pay only $5.00 one-way. Unlimited season shuttle passes are only $75.00 and are available at the Sunlight Ski and Bike Shop or Sunlight Mountain Resort. Times are subject to change.
http://sunlightmtn.com/mountain/getting-here

T Bone

Booting up
Skier
Schweitzer Idaho, the town is 2100ft. It's not Colorado, I like it better. Check out the panoramic webcam on a sunny day.

Attachments

• 20190105_112209.jpg
    20190105_112209.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 34
TS
Kneale Brownson

Kneale Brownson

Instructor
Yeah, this is the first place I ever visited in April when the skiing was like in January. It's why I came here after visiting all over the west for years when ski season ended in Michigan. If I could find a low spot to live in Pitkin, I might become an Aspenite. I love skiing Snowmass.

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
Yeah, this is the first place I ever visited in April when the skiing was like in January. It's why I came here after visiting all over the west for years when ski season ended in Michigan. If I could find a low spot to live in Pitkin, I might become an Aspenite. I love skiing Snowmass.
Glenwood is pretty doable. It also has summer...

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
SLC and work at the bird or Alta.

TS
Kneale Brownson

Kneale Brownson

Instructor
I commuted 60 miles one way for the last 5 years in Michigan. Don't want to repeat that, Mike

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Schweitzer makes a lot of sense, given the short drive from Sandpoint, also they have their own shuttle from the bottom of the road if you don’t want to drive as much.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
Glenwood would get my vote. It was on our short list of places when we were moving a few years back.

Reactions: BC.

Sponsor

Staff online