• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

New2

Out on the slopes
Skier
Cotton Bottom Inn at Holladay Blvd is well worth checking out. I loved the garlic burgers, though I know others aren't such fans. It was once voted something like "The dive where you're most likely to find your dad's initials carved into the wall." Appropriate.

nesneros

Needs another base grind
Skier
Any reason to be hesitant to bring new skis to Alta this weekend? Everything I’ve seen says coverage is good with more on the way.

Trying to decide whether to bring the never skied 97mm waist skis or one of the well used 85mm or 106mm waisted pairs. Flying into town to ski Sat and Sun and could bring two pairs but would prefer to travel with only one. Life was sure simpler when I only owned one pair of skis like a “normal” person!

It really depends on what kind of skier you are. If you plan on heading into the trees, coverage is decent but it’s still quite risky, IMO, compared to later when we will have a 90+ inch base. I don’t imagine you’d have any issue on piste.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
Cotton Bottom Inn at Holladay Blvd is well worth checking out. I loved the garlic burgers, though I know others aren't such fans. It was once voted something like "The dive where you're most likely to find your dad's initials carved into the wall." Appropriate.
Yeah, the place has so much history. Definitely worth checking out.

palikona

Getting off the lift
Skier
Hello to my friends in the Wasatch. I’m meeting some east coast friends to ski Alta and Snowbird in January and am wondering where to stay. In SLC proper? Are there cool neighborhoods to check out?

I have Ikon and would rather ski BCC and LCC while my friends don’t have anything and have mentioned staying in and skiing PC. I’ve been there and don’t like it nearly as much so I’m trying to convince them to stay in the City.

nesneros

Needs another base grind
Skier
Hello to my friends in the Wasatch. I’m meeting some east coast friends to ski Alta and Snowbird in January and am wondering where to stay. In SLC proper? Are there cool neighborhoods to check out?

I have Ikon and would rather ski BCC and LCC while my friends don’t have anything and have mentioned staying in and skiing PC. I’ve been there and don’t like it nearly as much so I’m trying to convince them to stay in the City.
As far as skiing goes, due to the winding canyon roads it’s about the same travel time from SLC to Deer Valley, Solitude, or Alta. I even live in Utah county and it’s almost exactly 50 minutes to all three of these resorts.

As far as nightlife, etc... that’s a separate question, but if you stay in SLC you’ll have roughly similar travel times to any of these resorts, if you stay in PC you’ll have quicker access to just a few.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If you stay in PC, it's really kind of a pain to ski LCC or BCC. PC is a better "ski town" if your friends want that, but staying in SLC opens up more options. Staying in PC, you are pretty much limited to PCMR or Deer Valley AFAIC. You say you are going to ski Alta and Snowbird. If that's really the case, don't stay in PC.

My daughter lives in SLC and it's becoming kinda cool downtown and near the city center. Liberty Wells, Sugarhouse, downtown are the more active areas. Red Iguana for incredible Mexican food, Fisher brewery, others. If you stay closer to LCC/BCC (like Sandy) there's not so much nightlife/action.

Last edited:

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
After a great 4 day stretch of storms & fresh tracks, some sad news from the UAC...

A 45 year old male snowboarder left the Canyons Village of Park City via the backcountry exit gate at the top of the 9990' lift to access Dutch Draw. Part of the way down the slope (Conehead area of Dutch Draw), he triggered and was caught, carried and killed in an avalanche.

2F060F1C-F25A-4C3E-8CC7-FCCCE3F65B3C.jpeg

Be careful out there!

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
After a great 4 day stretch of storms & fresh tracks, some sad news from the UAC...

A 45 year old male snowboarder left the Canyons Village of Park City via the backcountry exit gate at the top of the 9990' lift to access Dutch Draw. Part of the way down the slope (Conehead area of Dutch Draw), he triggered and was caught, carried and killed in an avalanche.

View attachment 87437

Be careful out there!
Very sad. Notorious avalanche area. Since it so accessible via 9990 lift far too many let their guard down and do not take the appropriate measures and precautions when accessing Dutch's Draw.

I do not know the person or circumstances, but I do know unfortunately way too many people don't understand the high risk of that area. Please, if you are visiting the Canyons, do not take the risks of that area lightly.

Edit: And as enticing as Square Top looks, I would NEVER ski it. Avalanche risk is just too great. Another area where I see tracks at times and wonder if those people know just how dangerous that terrain is.

Last edited:

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
Saw that post about the Snowboarder, very sad indeed.

Reading about that from Utah Avalanche Center led me to Alta lift tickets for fundraising - at $110/day - but it's sold through BackCountry - yes that Backcountry - so I paused there. May still do it as I believe BC is simply facilitating the sales, at either zero or low cost to support @utavy (one can hope).

Regardless, no multi-pass for me this year, and looking for best deal on Alta 4 days - be there Jan 30 - Feb 2; May do half day window on the 30th, then a 3 of 4 day pass starting Friday, gotta roll out about 2 pm latest on Super Sunday (always a sad ride down the canyon).

If you locals know of other good causes besides the above to secure lift tickets, I'd love to know them as I think it's a great way to make those tourist dollars have greater impact. Alta has become somewhat of a home away from home and want to return some of that love. What a special place.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
those are the best days Spooky! 4 inches at Alta skis better than a foot at most resorts
AND doesn't usually attract the powder hoards.

I have to ask again--why some people don't like skiing groomers? Today was about as good a day as you can get for groomers (and some off-piste, too.) Soft, grippy, cold temps, perfection. And a great chance to hone in on some new skills I've been working on.

On that note, Snowbasin is REALLY dropping the ball on grooming this year. It's being noticed by many of the long-timers. And there is no reason Strawberry shouldn't be open, either. They are cramming people onto the mountain with basically two top-to-bottom groomed runs, which creates a lot of people skiing ridiculously fast on two runs. I also can't get over how much busier it is than it ever has been. So, they're drawing in a ton more people, giving them less terrain to ski, and keeping 1/3 of the mountain closed. There are a lot of pretty pissed off season pass holders. I'm DREADING what the next two weeks will bring. There is plenty of snow to groom Strawberry, the women's and men's downhills, and the middle of the mountain under Middle Bowl. Oh, and Dan's run which is still ungroomed, and Wildcat Bowl. Great with fresh snow, not so great 4 days after the last storm.

Kyle

Out on the slopes
Skier
On that note, Snowbasin is REALLY dropping the ball on grooming this year. It's being noticed by many of the long-timers. And there is no reason Strawberry shouldn't be open, either. They are cramming people onto the mountain with basically two top-to-bottom groomed runs, which creates a lot of people skiing ridiculously fast on two runs. I also can't get over how much busier it is than it ever has been. So, they're drawing in a ton more people, giving them less terrain to ski, and keeping 1/3 of the mountain closed. There are a lot of pretty pissed off season pass holders. I'm DREADING what the next two weeks will bring. There is plenty of snow to groom Strawberry, the women's and men's downhills, and the middle of the mountain under Middle Bowl. Oh, and Dan's run which is still ungroomed, and Wildcat Bowl. Great with fresh snow, not so great 4 days after the last storm.

They must be understaffed in snowcat drivers? It does seem odd how long everything is taking to get going. I am very surprised Wildcat has not been groomed to draw people off of Bear Hollow. I was there for a couple of hours this morning and skied Wildcat a few times trying to harvest the gun powder they were blowing on the run. It was fun but the snow conditions could only be described as highly variable. The off piste areas under JP and Porky skied pretty nicely.

On a side note, there are more than enough people to greet you and ask you how your day is going.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online