• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.
TS
Dwight

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Hill is BUSY. People love the warm weather. Would be nice if forecast was wrong in the positive direction, like snow.

JJ Steffes

Booting up
Skier
Anyone have thoughts on Camp 10? Just heard about it and might be worth a try for a day when in the area. thanks

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
Warm today, cold at the end of the week. The local hills here in the twin cities are making snow again. I saw a spot at Trollhaugen the other day where there was some dirt showing. Not good. I think depth in some spots is less than 5" judging by the dirt coming up when the gates are being put in for racing when they drill.

I'll be at Welch Village this Friday for a large HS SL invitational they are having. Excited to ski there again after 4 years.

wallyk

Would rather be ski'n
Skier
Warm today, cold at the end of the week. The local hills here in the twin cities are making snow again. I saw a spot at Trollhaugen the other day where there was some dirt showing. Not good. I think depth in some spots is less than 5" judging by the dirt coming up when the gates are being put in for racing when they drill.

I'll be at Welch Village this Friday for a large HS SL invitational they are having. Excited to ski there again after 4 years.

Back area at Welch was open this week and skied very nicely. Actually all of Welch was really solid on both Sat and Sun. Now that was last week before these warmer temps and rain. Supposed to be blowing this week if the temps fall again.

Daughter has a race at Troll on Sat and have never been there.........any thoughts?

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
Back area at Welch was open this week and skied very nicely. Actually all of Welch was really solid on both Sat and Sun. Now that was last week before these warmer temps and rain. Supposed to be blowing this week if the temps fall again.

Daughter has a race at Troll on Sat and have never been there.........any thoughts?

Great vibe at troll. Very old school ski area. About 75 feet less vert than Welch and less steep also, but I still like it. They are making snow the rest of this week into the weekend so conditions should be good.

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I think most places are making snow again. I know my local hill did last night and today. They have 14 mounted T40s, so it doesn't take too much effort to turn them on. Just a lot of money per month. :)

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
I think most places are making snow again. I know my local hill did last night and today. They have 14 mounted T40s, so it doesn't take too much effort to turn them on. Just a lot of money per month. :)

The word I heard last night at league racing is some local hills here in the cities were looking at closing some runs if they couldn't make snow. Luckily we're in a cold snap here for the next few weeks it appears where they can make snow as needed at night.

Brent Dodd

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Thanks Dwight. Please ask for me when you visit.
I'm hoping David D from Whitecap keeps an eye on this forum and can give an update. We were there this morning and it is very icy and looks like groomers have not been out in a few days. The area they groomed have turned to ice and from what I've heard the groomer they have only rakes the snow and not chew up the ice. Hearing that 3.5mil went into this place I thought for sure the hill would be in good shape. But still the same as previous years and we had to leave after lunch as it was just not fun to worry about hitting the ice chunks the groomer leaves behind. Please let us know what's happening there so we can plan our next trip. thanks in advance.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
Skied Welch yesterday. Man I forgot how much better the terrain there is than any of the other hills in the twin cities. Place has some really fun runs. Great lifts also.

Unfortunately the snow was pretty terrible. Basically small ground up ice chunks and not actual snow is what made up the slopes. Piles of it everywhere with patches of ice mixed in. Every turn was an adventure and you really needed to keep you wits about you or you could go down hard.

Without some good snow soon this season is going to be one of the worst in recent memory and will likely end pretty early also. Lots of runs at Welch only looked to have 6-12" covering them. :eek:

wallyk

Would rather be ski'n
Skier
Great vibe at troll. Very old school ski area. About 75 feet less vert than Welch and less steep also, but I still like it. They are making snow the rest of this week into the weekend so conditions should be good.

Was at Troll on Saturday and agreed about the cool retro vibe. Very nice ski area. But small. Really small.....reminded me that I was skiing in Wisconsin and the midwest.

Was at Welch yesterday and the conditions were decent, read fast, in the morning and then lots of loose granular and ice. Totally expected. Welch may have thin coverage but the whole area is open. With that USSA race this weekend the front was basically closed which was a bummer. Not sure where Welch gets it water to manufacture snow but am hoping that the cold spell later this week could allow for the area to make more.

Gentry

Booting up
Skier
Was at Troll on Saturday and agreed about the cool retro vibe. Very nice ski area. But small. Really small.....reminded me that I was skiing in Wisconsin and the midwest.

Was at Welch yesterday and the conditions were decent, read fast, in the morning and then lots of loose granular and ice. Totally expected. Welch may have thin coverage but the whole area is open. With that USSA race this weekend the front was basically closed which was a bummer. Not sure where Welch gets it water to manufacture snow but am hoping that the cold spell later this week could allow for the area to make more.

I assumed they piped it straight from the Cannon River, but I could be wrong.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier

Yeah, troll is tiny, even for the midwest. Both Afton and Welch have abundantly more terrain that is spreadout and makes the area feel much larger overall. Wild feels about the same size as Troll overall, but is just a little taller and steeper.

If I could swing it I'd have a season pass at Welch before any of the others. Unfortunately living on the north side of the cities and having to drive through the cities to get there it makes getting a season pass pretty unrealistic. I'd really only end up going there on Sunday's. Same thing with Afton. Traffic is just too busy to make night skiing on the weekdays happen.

wallyk

Would rather be ski'n
Skier
Totally agree with you about the terrain. Just no comparison between Welch and the others.......but I cannot stand Afton. Always crowded with EpicPass holders and the lines are horrible. I have a pass at Welch because I live in the western 'burbs and access is pretty easy....just over an hour. I moved here from NYC and skied the Poconos and the crowds are similar at Afton. Welch is never crowded. Daughter has a race at Mt. Kato in Feb.....never been there and am honestly considering not skiing. Just dont think I can do it.

Beach Bum

Getting off the lift
Skier
Big storm heading our way. 4-8" expected at local resorts, and with my luck I'm heading up to wausau Granite Peak where no snow expected all weekend. Darn.

Oh well, looking forward to it. Skied there a bunch of years in a row until like five years ago, not my favorite place but with high speed lifts in some new areas it will be fine.

For those going to Chestnut and other places Sat on, enjoy the great snow.

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier

wallyk

Would rather be ski'n
Skier
It does appear to be slightly more north (20 miles or so) than they thought. Hopefully that is enough to get 2" at the local hills here.

we need it around the twin cities!!!!! Would like to see Welch get a couple of inches of the white stuff to help out and add to that base!!!! My daughter is so funny about snow. She hates the fresh stuff. Loves the ice and firm snow to jam her edge in......becoming a true racer!!!! Hopefully will be able to show otherwise tomorrow.

Gentry

Booting up
Skier
If I wasn't headed to Utah tomorrow (humble brag) I'd be hitting up Welch tomorrow. Enjoy, y'all!

wallyk

Would rather be ski'n
Skier
If I wasn't headed to Utah tomorrow (humble brag) I'd be hitting up Welch tomorrow. Enjoy, y'all!

You should brag.......brag all you want!!!! Love to hear it. Enjoy the long, buttery runs, with bright blue skis and plenty of snow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online