• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.
TS
Dwight

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
From other pictures, it is all gone. They are open for business today and running out of the hotel going forward.

JJ Steffes

Booting up
Skier
From other pictures, it is all gone. They are open for business today and running out of the hotel going forward.
the hotel is fine, but the building for restaurant and bar and rentals is gone. Glad to see still open and they'll come back strong. I know I've posted some negative comments about Whitecap, but I really do love this place. Praying for all those at the hill and looking forward to the rebuild.

Ski4Ever

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
the hotel is fine, but the building for restaurant and bar and rentals is gone. Glad to see still open and they'll come back strong. I know I've posted some negative comments about Whitecap, but I really do love this place. Praying for all those at the hill and looking forward to the rebuild.
Sad to see this news and grateful no one was hurt. Anyone who skis this hill knows how fun it can be with a dumping of powder. They will rebound from just like other places have and be better than ever.

Beach Bum

Getting off the lift
Skier
Wow that's crazy. Thank God no one was injured.

I know first hand the fire risk ski resorts pose (thru insurance industry), no fire stations anywhere near them, which they try offset with own fire prevention equipment to get water from all the snow guns around.

But crazy that of how many ski resort fires in the US in say this past decade, two have occurred next door to each other in that region.

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Looks promising. Wed night shift should be fun. The weekend with a high of 0F, not so much.

50454556_1987271514684106_4952381546108551168_n.png

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
John Dee is more accurate again. Partly, he doesn't promote the "sky is falling" when it really isn't.

At least I should be able to ski in 3" of fresh tonight.

MIDSNOW0123.jpg

David D

Booting up
Industry Insider
Sad to see this news and grateful no one was hurt. Anyone who skis this hill knows how fun it can be with a dumping of powder. They will rebound from just like other places have and be better than ever.
Thanks for the post and support from everyone. It has been overwhelming and we all appreciate it. Plans are already underway fore a new base village. We will remain open until the end of the season! Thanks again!

David D

Booting up
Industry Insider
Thank you!

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
It's time to ski the U.P if you can. Knee high powder and more snow coming for the next 4 days. Lake effect has hit.

Beach Bum

Getting off the lift
Skier
Heading to Chestnut in NW Illinois Sunday and Monday. Clipper system with potential for 6-10" hitting late Sunday, i.e. after lifts close! That's the dry fluffy stuff we don't get all that often coming out of the NW. This type of storm, with ability to connect to a weekend and only take one day off don't happen that often.

Pulling kids from school, wife and I taking PTO just for the day. Should be empty and powdery, can't wait, though drive home that evening will be slow.

Skied Granite Peak last weekend. Super cold and just as I remember it to be, icy like no other. I like their terrain, I love the high speeds on both ends, like that you can still load the one triple Midway to just ski the faces up top since the long runout can be annoying especially in deep cold.

All in all it's a great place for Midwest standards, but more so if you have the right weather. Either fresh snow which isn't all that common compared to the Lake Effect resorts a few hours north. Or if you get sun and highs in the 30s to soften up some of the snow. Their trail map is full of tree skiing and glades but as you all probably know that's an over statement. Need a lot of fresh snow to make them skiable. Damn that ice.

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
@Beach Bum Yep, it gets icy.

They have one of the most over named trail maps than any other hill. If there is a clearing longer than 4 feet, it gets a name. :)

Dakine

Far Out
Inactive
The last two days of skiing 3-6" of fresh over a packed snow base has been the best the Midwest offers.
Today we are drifted in, I could get out but it's pretty nasty for skiing.
We will be getting lake effect every day and another storm is on the horizon.
Too bad about the prediction for -20 f for this upcoming Sunday night.
That's real winter here at the Tip of the Mitt.

MN_Drew

Putting on skis
Skier
Skied Welch on Monday for the first time in nearly 15 years. Love the new lifts and terrain. No lines. Great hill for southern MN. It was a bit icy, but I was really impressed with the coverage considering the lack of snow and intense thaw two weeks ago.

Going to be at Lutsen next weekend. Looking like a cold one!

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
Got 6" at my house and likely will be that much or more at all the Twin Cities ski hills. Unfortunately it's really cold. Most places around here are closing Tues, Weds and Thurs due to lack of interest of anyone to actually ski when it's -20F outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online