Midwest Upper Midwest Season 2018-2019

Discussion in 'General Resort Discussion' started by Dwight, Jun 27, 2018.

1. David D

David D Booting up Industry Insider

Thanks Dwight. Please ask for me when you visit.

2. MN_Drew

MN_Drew At the base lodge Skier

Skied Spirit on Thursday, Lutsen Saturday. Special conditions both days-- snowed all day at Spirit, maybe 9" on the ground by closing. Very sticky and wet during the day, firmed up a bit at night as the temps dropped. Lutsen was in great shape Saturday after 24" Weds-Fri, about 50% groomed fresh snow and about 50% softly bumped-out powder. Lots of sections of "out-west deep" untracked powder still available in the trees and in the margins of some runs. The trees on both Moose and Eagle were skiing just about as good as I've ever experienced in MN. Timberwolf and Mystery chairs were both still closed, though the terrain around Timberwolf looked very ready to go. I heard there have been some electrical issues with Mystery, and indeed there was a crane truck parked next to the bottom terminal. The truck didn't have tracks so at this point I wonder if it's stuck down there until May? Anyways, really great conditions up north right now if you can get there!

3. Brent Dodd

Brent Dodd At the base lodge Skier

Sad to see that an open honest forum gets posts taken down. I was just sharing honest opinion of Whitecap and now many posts are removed.

4. Tricia

Tricia The Velvet Hammer Admin Pugski Ski Tester

It is our policy to not discuss moderation outside of the PM exchange
    You will find that Pugski is open to honest discussion as long as it stays respectful and doesn't include name calling. You can see the Timberline thread as an example of criticism about how a resort is run without crossing that line.
    Some of the posts that were deleted crossed that line and some didn't but reference the posts that crossed the line, losing context of conversation.

Thank you for understanding.

Mendieta, JJ Steffes and MN_Drew like this.
  5. Gentry

Gentry Booting up Skier

Thanks for the Lutsen update. Looks like it's been a dream come true New Year's weekend for them. Just took a look at their live cam and it looks amazing again today. When I was up there there last March Timberwolf was closed and Mystery was only going up halfway, don't know if it's terrain or electrical related, but would be nice to have that acreage opened up.

6. Brent Dodd

Thanks. I get it. It was getting a bit out of hand and some frustration coming out. Hopefully good snow eases tensions.

Mendieta, JJ Steffes and Tricia like this.
  7. Brent Dodd

I was up there for a few days and the new bar/restaurant look great. Hopefully they turn to local farmers for product soon. Nice to see so many people working and boosting local economy. The first day was rough skiing, but once we had the 8" of powder it helped a lot. Hopefully the long chair gets going soon as we plan to come back in couple weeks. I still do not see how 3.5m could have been spent there. I did see new rentals out the last day we were there and looked like 1 new snowmaker. I did not see any new groomers and lifts may have been repaired, but nothing new. and hotel is still 1970s decor and tube tvs. We really like Whitecap and I'm not trying to be a naysayer, but my expectations were much higher after seeing the promises in the spring.

8. focker

focker Getting on the lift Skier

I've skied Lutsen 5 days and I've never seen Mystery go to the top once yet. Always unloads half way up. I think most days it doesn't open until noon either.

Gentry likes this.
  9. Dakine

Dakine Getting off the lift Skier

First tracks on New Years day anyone...?

49013980_984810281706421_6227471149182222336_n.png

Tricia and Dwight like this.
  10. MN_Drew

MN_Drew At the base lodge Skier

Timberwolf typically only spins on weekends and holidays, even if the terrain is open. It's a long cat track back over but nearly all of that terrain can be skied off of Caribou Express.

This may have changed recently, but my understanding is that the only water line for snowmaking on Mystery Mountain only extends up as far as Mystery's midstation. As a result they can really only make snow for Log Chute and the lower half of White Birch and are reliant on natural snow for the rest. You'll note in their website that those are the only two runs listed as "primary" on Mystery, while the rest are listed as "sidecountry."

Definitely could have used the extra uphill capacity to distribute people this weekend. Slopes weren't crowded at all, but lift lines were more of a factor than usual. Good snow brings more people and more money, hopefully they'll spend it on a replacement for Bridge Lift.

11. focker

focker Getting on the lift Skier

We drive up north this weekend to go snowmobing (in 12" pow!) and car after car had skis on the roof heading for one of the 3 main resorts up north. There were a ton of snowmobiles as well of course...

12. JJ Steffes

JJ Steffes At the base lodge Skier

I've been to Whitecap a lot the past 20 years and couldn't wait for changes with the new owners. The new bar and restaurant look great but the rest of the place still looks the same. Can't believe tyvek still on the check-in building. Sorry, I digress (lol). As many on this thread know the terrain there is awesome and a lot of fun. But still running the old groomers there are a lot of ice chunks that will get you. we did get one day of pow that was a good 8" and hopefully they can get some snow made to put a base on the double blacks. For those looking for a place to stay you may want to wait until hotel remodeled. . Still 1970s decor and bedding along with small tube tvs and no wi-fi. Still not seeing the 3.5m bragged about on facebook, but hopefully in time it gets the update that's needed. On a positive side the lifties are friendly as usual. find the powder stash in the new year my friends.

13. Tricia

Looks like my mom will get some use out of the Pugski down puffy I sent her for Christmas last year.

Dakine likes this.
  14. Thread Starter
    TS
    Dwight

Dwight Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid Admin Moderator

6" at Nordic Mountain yesterday, made for a great time last night. Should be a good sunny day today too.

15. Tricia

My mom posted pics on FB of the snow at their house in Manton Michigan
    snow in Michigan Jan 1.jpg

skix and Dwight like this.
  16. Thread Starter
    TS
    Dwight

Dwight Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid Admin Moderator

17. Slim

Slim Getting off the lift Skier

We hit Spirit Mountain in Duluth on Friday. We got there later in the afternoon, so it was mostly skied out, but the new snow opened up some of the trees and there was still fun chop to be had.

Monday we skied the new snow at Spirit in the morning in and it was great! Lots of chop, most trees/mtb trails doable and even a few powder turns.

Tuesday (new yers day)we went up to Lutsen, MN. The cold air(0-5F) didn't feel that cold at all, and it was nice and quiet. Plenty of coverage, two mogul runs, treesking and plenty of chop, one of the better days at Lutsen! Unfortunately, Mystery wasn’t open.

Moose Mountain at Lutsen, MN at 5F: Tahoe-of-the-North:
    1BD0C990-502B-4900-9832-CA16C4050110.jpeg

3 girls in the sunshine, just lake skiing at Lake Tahoe!

15854EA5-7B20-40CB-BF19-C3DC747DA272.jpeg

My 11 year old daughter and I ran laps in the later afternoon sun on Eagle Mtn at Lutsen to finish off the day:

19D4F295-B498-4810-B1E5-A53EE81780FC.jpeg

Great clouds on the beautiful drive home along the coast of Lake Superior.
    AEB25DE3-38C5-4F20-B2AC-B598A64343B1.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
    Mendieta, Tricia, skix and 4 others like this.
  18. Beach Bum

Beach Bum Booting up Skier

With all of the rain and mild temperatures I've still managed to eek out several good days at Chestnut. Luckily wasn't skiing on NYE when it poured for much of the day. The odd thing is it was 32 degrees all day with areas to the north picking up 4"+ (see Dwight's post above). It finally turned to snow in the evening but it was too late and we only got a dusting.

Snow guns were out all day on the 1st and things were icy as expected. But the crowd was minimal compared to being jam packed on 12/30 and our family still had a blast. Skiing was fast. First pic is overlooking Crazy Horse, one of the better blues in the region. The other is yet another great sunset over the river.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mendieta, Tricia, skix and 4 others like this.
  19. Gentry

Gentry Booting up Skier

20. Beach Bum

Beach Bum Booting up Skier

50 degrees, meh, at least it's not raining... For now.