• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.
TS
Dwight

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Hills haven't been open since the snow. Now we get to look forward to this.

upload_2019-1-31_8-15-24.png

Tytlynz64

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Anyone ski Boyne or Nubs? thinking about a trip next weekend.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
Insane. We go from a good snow dump to insanely cold and closed hills to insanely warm with rain. You just can't win.

Weird year in the mid-west for skiing thus far.

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Anyone ski Boyne or Nubs? thinking about a trip next weekend.
We were at Boyne Mountain last weekend - usually ski Nubs but have the Ikon pass so adding in a couple of Boyne days this year. Should be up somewhere for a day this weekend, and then hopefully hitting both of them the weekend after this.

wallyk

Would rather be ski'n
Skier
Am looking forward to Welch on Saturday.........warning for the regulars SkiJammers will be there. BUT should be a good day. The crew has done a fantastic grooming this year. Just ripped around there with my daughter on Sunday. No one there........

Tytlynz64

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We were at Boyne Mountain last weekend - usually ski Nubs but have the Ikon pass so adding in a couple of Boyne days this year. Should be up somewhere for a day this weekend, and then hopefully hitting both of them the weekend after this.
Things should be in good shape Inwould assume even with a bit of warm up. Any thoughts?

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Things should be in good shape Inwould assume even with a bit of warm up. Any thoughts?
That's what we were thinking. It's supposed to be crap down here in GR, but looks just enough colder up north to be ok for Saturday. Not Sunday, though. So we'll most likely drive up to Boyne Mountain Saturday morning, ski for a half day, and then drive home. And I know 10 day forecasts are suspect, but it looks like there should be enough time to groom the freezing rain into the rest of the base so the next weekend will be good.

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@PisteOff , @ChunderBlunder aren't you guys over there or just Pine Knob?
@ChunderBlunder is a patroller at Pine Knob. He puts in 3-5 shifts every week. I’ve been in Dallas since 12/4. They’re reporting 4’ of snow up there (Nubs, Boyne, Caberfae area) in the last 7-10 days, but we’ve not been up there this year. I’m home for a couple days right now and will ski Knob tomorrow. Next week I hit Taos and then later this month Jackson Hole, the Gathering at Big Sky and then a couple days at A-Basin on the way back to Texas. Hopefully I’ll get back out again in April/May.

Beach Bum

Getting off the lift
Skier
Skiing Alpine Valley this Sunday, first time in 20+ years.

Had a blast last Sunday-Monday at Chestnut, basically had the mountain to myself (alright more like 20 people) after the big storm over night. Some of if not the best Midwest powder I've ever skied.

Had first tracks on a few of the blacks, skiing was great. My 7 year old got her first taste of powder and loved it. She skied like 7 or 8 blacks that day, a high for her. I'm thinking AV will be a breeze this Sunday for her, certainly a much lower vert. Won't mind 40 degrees after single digits at Granite Peak then Chestnut two weekends in a row.

Gentry

Booting up
Skier
Hoping the storm system coming through MN this week isn't a bust. This season has been so weird I'm not going to get my hopes up anymore. Things do look promising for the foreseeable future, though...cold weather but not bone-chillingly so. Maybe a couple sizable dustings this month.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
Hoping the storm system coming through MN this week isn't a bust. This season has been so weird I'm not going to get my hopes up anymore. Things do look promising for the foreseeable future, though...cold weather but not bone-chillingly so. Maybe a couple sizable dustings this month.

My weather guy novakweather is saying 3-5" today for sure and Thursday looks good as well. They're now saying 5-8" Thursday. 10" of fresh would be amazing at this point. Next week is showing signs of snow as well.

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Granite says they got 11" of snow last night. Interesting, very few schools delayed and none closed in that area.

TonyPlush

Out on the slopes
Skier
It absolutely dumped here in the Twin Cities today. Think I'm gonna try to get some local powder turns in tomorrow.

Buck Hill AM discount when it's -9? Let's try it...

TonyPlush

Out on the slopes
Skier
It absolutely dumped here in the Twin Cities today. Think I'm gonna try to get some local powder turns in tomorrow.

Buck Hill AM discount when it's -9? Let's try it...
Just saw Welch is claiming 16" of fresh.

But the bowls are closed on Fridays. I've never been. Any chance I get to ski Ungroomed powder tomorrow?

Gentry

Booting up
Skier
Early this morning would be the day to possibly get some fresh turns at Welch. I'm hoping to be early in line for the Back Bowl rope drop on Saturday to maybe get some soft turns if they don't groom it.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, this was the perfect storm:
Started snowing Wednesday night, 5:30 the call came the school had a snow day, 10:00 my girls and I were on the 10th chair at Spirit Mtn and it was still snowing. Didn’t stop until mid day.

First tracks all over the hill in boot top powder in the morning, and as we ran into more dad with kids, we ended at 3:00 after watching a 13 strong “kid ski herd” mobbing through the rest and leftovers. (5-12 year olds).

They were too fast for me to get a shot of the whole herd, but here are some pics:
BEABE0F7-815B-4B4D-9A90-EC40826A4991.jpeg 1E592062-4848-46F9-A4E7-6A11C951E92A.jpeg

St Louis river with it’s bays and islands in the background:
67C2A595-2C88-4C57-B578-350274D664F3.jpeg E4D3C58D-6595-4D2E-B5F6-542D806D0880.jpeg 07F4968B-B49E-4374-A120-90C77631F359.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.