• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beach Bum

Getting off the lift
Skier
Hey guys, now that December is shot, at least we have Jan Feb and maybe 4 to 6 days in Mar. Got to love Midwest skiing

stuckinphilly

Putting on skis
Skier
Headed out to MN to visit the in-laws, hopefully, will get to make some turns while out there.

Ski4Ever

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Call ahead before even thinking about Whitecap. IMHO the new owners have priorities backwards. They may have built a nice new bar that looks really good and menu sounds decent, but NO skiing there yet. I think every other place in the midwest is open. Even Wilmot, which is at the IL border is open. I heard from a local friend the main lift just got fixed last week, but no snowmaking yet. With temps below freezing since mid-november this makes no sense.

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Call ahead before even thinking about Whitecap. IMHO the new owners have priorities backwards. They may have built a nice new bar that looks really good and menu sounds decent, but NO skiing there yet. I think every other place in the midwest is open. Even Wilmot, which is at the IL border is open. I heard from a local friend the main lift just got fixed last week, but no snowmaking yet. With temps below freezing since mid-november this makes no sense.

It takes time and money to get new infrastructure for snow making. For the most part, Whitecap has had none. You need multiple revenue streams and bar/restaurant should would help too.

It's open now but just the main lift, which is more then they had last year at this time.

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
MIDSNOW1226.jpg

Gentry

Booting up
Skier
Prayer hands emoji.

Looks like those that booked their holiday trip to Lutsen are in for a treat this weekend.

Ski4Ever

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
It takes time and money to get new infrastructure for snow making. For the most part, Whitecap has had none. You need multiple revenue streams and bar/restaurant should would help too.

It's open now but just the main lift, which is more then they had last year at this time.
It is a chunky ice mess so far. We come up every year at Christmas and this is the worst and latest they've ever opened. Last year they were fully opened the weekend before Christmas. I agree their infrastructure is limited, but they do have some pipes and hoses for the guns. Why not get them working by mid-November like every other place in the midwest? They missed almost a month of customers that would have used that new bar. They better be praying for this storm to hit hard or they are screwed.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
This is really going to screw up the twin cities hills. What a mess it is around here. Yuck.

Gentry

Booting up
Skier
Welch closed early today. Will start making snow again tomorrow. No idea what this weekend is going to look like.

David D

Booting up
Industry Insider

People dont realize what had to be done here and considering we didn't start work until July 1st (after we cleared the financial mess here) our staff got a lot of projects done and then some. I will take all of the criticism but I hope that everyone has an opportunity in their lifetime to take on a multi year project like this so they can see what needs to be done. There was years and years of neglect here and much of that had to be handled this past summer. As far as opening late............I'm fine with that, it enabled us to get other projects completed. Our opening this season represented roughly 3.5 million in improvements. No other area around here can say that. Yes......from 2 new restaurants, a new kitchen, a new bar area, new rental shop with all new gear, major lift work, some minor snowmaking improvements(they hadnt made snow in about 7 years), a new glade area, a new maint bldg, new golf course equipt, golf course rennovations and many other projects, not to mention the creation of approx 70 jobs..........I'll take the criticism. Is it perfect? Not yet. Will we stumble? yes we will. Will we be a premier destination in the midwest.........absolutely! This is a multi year project and at build out it will be approx a 20 million dollar investment. So...........for the naysayers............let me know when you do something like this. I invite everyone to stop out and take a look and ask for me. I enjoy meeting our guests and answering their questions.

David D

Booting up
Industry Insider
It is a chunky ice mess so far. We come up every year at Christmas and this is the worst and latest they've ever opened. Last year they were fully opened the weekend before Christmas. I agree their infrastructure is limited, but they do have some pipes and hoses for the guns. Why not get them working by mid-November like every other place in the midwest? They missed almost a month of customers that would have used that new bar. They better be praying for this storm to hit hard or they are screwed.
Ski4Ever - I post on fb rather frequently about what we are doing at WC. We have been making snow for quite awhile now as weather permits. As far as why we didn't start earlier? You have to realize the magnitude of what had to be done here this summer and considering we didn't start until July 1 (after we cleared the leftover financial mess) I would say our staff did an amazing job. It is funny how people don't remark about the investment that was made this summer, the 70 jobs that we created or about our efforts through our foundation, The Whitecap Mountains Foundation to help local community projects/people but all they want to mention is what they see that they think is wrong. I never realized all of the folks here who have run resorts. I look forward to meeting our guests and answering any of thier questions. Thanks!

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
People dont realize what had to be done here and considering we didn't start work until July 1st (after we cleared the financial mess here) our staff got a lot of projects done and then some. I will take all of the criticism but I hope that everyone has an opportunity in their lifetime to take on a multi year project like this so they can see what needs to be done. There was years and years of neglect here and much of that had to be handled this past summer. As far as opening late............I'm fine with that, it enabled us to get other projects completed. Our opening this season represented roughly 3.5 million in improvements. No other area around here can say that. Yes......from 2 new restaurants, a new kitchen, a new bar area, new rental shop with all new gear, major lift work, some minor snowmaking improvements(they hadnt made snow in about 7 years), a new glade area, a new maint bldg, new golf course equipt, golf course rennovations and many other projects, not to mention the creation of approx 70 jobs..........I'll take the criticism. Is it perfect? Not yet. Will we stumble? yes we will. Will we be a premier destination in the midwest.........absolutely! This is a multi year project and at build out it will be approx a 20 million dollar investment. So...........for the naysayers............let me know when you do something like this. I invite everyone to stop out and take a look and ask for me. I enjoy meeting our guests and answering their questions.
Keep it up. As one of the few that has seen the mess from the books, I can only image the time and effort. Looking forward to skiing there when all this rain turns to snow.

Status
Not open for further replies.