• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
Finished up a great week in Steamboat today. Overall good snow conditions with great powder on Wednesday. Got to ski a little with @Ron yesterday on a bitter cold day. Today was a late start after -15* at the base. Warmed up nicely and while it was a little crowded today there were still some stashes to be found. Picture is from today. 767A8944-C769-4663-97CE-8C1B8B351200.jpeg

Rowdy Bonkers

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Leaving for Steamy on Wednesday and cannot wait. Anything I should know that is unique to this season or the next week?

TS
Ron

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Leaving for Steamy on Wednesday and cannot wait. Anything I should know that is unique to this season or the next week?

nope, coverage is at 118%. Weather-wise, no one can predict what it will be but right now, Open-snow is forecasting storms next Friday/ Saturday and another Sunday/Monday. All subject to change. I dont give any forecast credibility until its 48 hours out but thats not even a high probability of accuracy.

Rowdy Bonkers

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
H*ck yah. Gotta pick a day to sit out since I only have five on the Ikon so this should help guide that choice.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Use this. And please sign up for Joels forecasts.

https://opensnow.com/location/steamboat

https://opensnow.com/dailysnow/steamboat

Friday

The southern storm will eventually move over and east of Colorado, once again turning winds to blow from the favorable west and northwest direction. This means that we have a good chance for steadier and/or more intense snowfall from some point on Friday into Friday night.

Saturday

We should wake up to fresh snow from later Friday and Friday night. The rest of the day could be dry and sunny.

Sunday and beyond

More snow. A cool pattern with a favorable west and northwest wind could hang around through the middle of next week (February 27) so there could be multiple days of snow.

Bruuuce

My advice is worth what you paid for it.
Skier
Just that it will be less crowded than this week and that the snow is creamy goodness right now. Stay high and stay north for the best happiness quotient. Enjoy!

Reactions: Ron

Bruuuce

Skier
Since @Ron is laid up I'll report on the stoke. 20" in the Boat in the last 48 hrs. A serious blower day today!

e12dbfe2-9359-4b93-a8ce-b5e461b681d1

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
20" is the official report, I'll bet that when you go up on the ridge and tower, its well over two feet! I demand pics! And, dont forget my new Liberty Origin 112's are sitting in the garage.....

Steve Makovsky

Mako Skiis
Skier
@Steve Makovsky let me know if you need anything or want to meet for some turns.

A great year in the Boat!!!!

Thanks Bruce. What is the best way to make contact with you once we are in Steamboat? We are arriving sometime Monday. My son may want to try to night ski on Monday. First real day on the slopes will be Tuesday and we are skiing all week, Taking Red eye out of Denver on Friday. May ski one of the summtt mountains closer to Denver on Friday. Thanks!

Bruuuce

Skier
Thanks Bruce. What is the best way to make contact with you once we are in Steamboat? We are arriving sometime Monday. My son may want to try to night ski on Monday. First real day on the slopes will be Tuesday and we are skiing all week, Taking Red eye out of Denver on Friday. May ski one of the summtt mountains closer to Denver on Friday. Thanks!

I'll PM my contact info. I hope you love your time in Steamboat. I'll be happy to share tips on restaurants, runs, activities or anything you might be wondering about. If you want to share some turns feel free to contact me.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Bruuuce

Skier
man,

wrong year to skip the boat ...

But what is with folks venturing out of bounds and getting lost .. this time without even a phone?

https://www.steamboatpilot.com/news...m_medium=push_notification&utm_source=browser

one lucky sucker to only have a cold toe. Really really bad choice and judgement .. or lack there of. Lucky ski patrol is so dedicated.

Unfortunately not the first this year. It puts rescuers at risk and pulls resources away from helping those that stay inside the ropes. The expectation that they can do whatever they want, (without any preparation or thought) but when they get into trouble others must risk their lives to save them is just maddening.

Rant over, a rave for our Routt County Search and Rescue folks. They are truly amazing.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online