• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Bruuuce

My advice is worth what you paid for it.
Skier
in the AM it was granita for sure :). the temps dropped and then it skied pretty well, It wasn't the ski down in the snow blower day but it was good. Honestly, I would trather have a true Champagne blower 8" day for today but that will go a long way to keep the base in fantastic shape. BTW- its still snowing

A great summary of yesterday. I'm glad there is that base for the s*show that is MLK weekend. Should hold up well for next week with more snow expected. Now I'll go and clear my driveway...again...:snow:

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
yes, 27" at the summit. I think tomorrow will be better than today.

nice! super stoked for you lucky ones! Our trip this year would have been the 11th through today, which would of been great but something about attending a daughter's wedding squeaked by with higher importance ... but not much. If her fiance skied she may well of opted to wed on the mountain as her dream wedding.

I digress .....

great for you guys! don't forget keep safe, inbounds is well cared for but still with lots of powder, etc always keep cell at hand, I like a lanyard whistle and ski in groups keeping tabs on one another ... Tree Wells are still abound.

Great PICS!!!!

Bruuuce

Skier
don't forget keep safe, inbounds is well cared for but still with lots of powder, etc always keep cell at hand, I like a lanyard whistle and ski in groups keeping tabs on one another ... Tree Wells are still abound.

The interesting thing is when I was riding up early (I had a first tracks pass) we actually saw two fractures on one of the runs under a lift. Neither would have likely resulted in much of a slide, but something I haven't seen inbounds here in the past.

Reactions: Ron

Bruuuce

Skier
don't forget keep safe, inbounds is well cared for but still with lots of powder, etc always keep cell at hand, I like a lanyard whistle and ski in groups keeping tabs on one another ... Tree Wells are still abound.

The interesting thing is when I was riding up early (I had a first tracks pass) we actually saw two fractures on one of the runs under a lift. Neither would have likely resulted in much of a slide, but something I haven't seen inbounds here in the past.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Oops I posted the group photo on the wrong thread.. thanks for fixing it!:P

TS
Ron

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester

True, Yesterday was the first time in a few years that they actually closed Morningside for avi mitigation. Interestingly, even with all our snow, I haven't seen much as far as tree-well danger, Maybe after this storm but not much.,.

Bruuuce

Skier
For some reason, Steamboat doesn't seem to have as much of a tree well problem as other mountains. Seems like we should, but we don't.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
True, Yesterday was the first time in a few years that they actually closed Morningside for avi mitigation. Interestingly, even with all our snow, I haven't seen much as far as tree-well danger, Maybe after this storm but not much.,.

Story in the Pilot noted the avi risks towards Morningside and especially out of bounds.

Skier lost out of boundary Thursday night ... found Friday AM but noted was extreme avi risk backside, guy lucky he came out ok given 18 hrs

https://www.steamboatpilot.com/news...m_medium=push_notification&utm_source=browser

Bruuuce

Skier
Story in the Pilot noted the avi risks towards Morningside and especially out of bounds.

Skier lost out of boundary Thursday night ... found Friday AM but noted was extreme avi risk backside, guy lucky he came out ok given 18 hrs

https://www.steamboatpilot.com/news...m_medium=push_notification&utm_source=browser

"Bowman said the man was from out of state and entered the backcountry without clear knowledge of the area and without any backcountry gear." A predictable result for this guy. Glad he's OK, but unfortunate that the search and rescue team had to put themselves at risk to save him.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
I know that area. I am baffled why this guy did what he did. How many ways can you spell stupid.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
She is on Liberty's. those pics were taken in an area where it was pretty tracked but still super soft and fun. We didnt stop in the other area's :)

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I was trying not to use that word, but yeah, it's the really the only way to describe what he did...

Folks make dumb mistakes, typically we fool ourselves and say ..."hey, I can handle this" but I must admit, there's the old adage that men don't stop for directions and in this case, making a call at 6:40pm is really just wrong. Should of at least called by 4pm given the lift and resort times and given some warning.

Luckily other than cost, seems all worked out for the best. but I can't presume the costs.

any case, kudo's to those finding him and risking lives.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Folks make dumb mistakes, typically we fool ourselves and say ..."hey, I can handle this" but I must admit, there's the old adage that men don't stop for directions and in this case, making a call at 6:40pm is really just wrong. Should of at least called by 4pm given the lift and resort times and given some warning.

Luckily other than cost, seems all worked out for the best. but I can't presume the costs.

any case, kudo's to those finding him and risking lives.

going OB without knowledge of the terrain = negligent
going OB without a working cell phone= negligent
going OB without proper equipment and supplies= negligent

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
So its looking particularly good for the Boat! With 4-8" coming in today, Opensnow is now predicting another significant storm Wednesday into Thursday

Snow Wednesday & Wednesday Night

The next storm will track over northern Colorado during the middle of the week. Expect snow to ramp up on Wednesday with possibly intense snow on Wednesday night into Thursday morning. I like the look of this storm – we’ll have adequate moisture, a temperature of 5-10F at the mountaintop, and a wind direction from the west and west-northwest. These are all the perfect ingredients for snow at Steamboat. Right now I’ll keep the forecast conservative at 4-8 inches, but the chance for 12+ inches is very real. Conditions will be soft on Wednesday afternoon and possibly deep on Thursday morning.

Through the end of January

Models continue to show that storms will clip northern Colorado with light snow at times through the weekend and into early next week. Expect at least light snow on Friday and Saturday, then we might see a break on Sunday into Monday with another system around Tuesday, January 29th.

Bruuuce

Skier
Hopefully the temps will drop so we’ll get stellar dendrites instead of PNW cream. Could be a great week!

Reactions: Ron
TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
yeah, ny hip cant take that heavy stuff. I see Ray later today so I hope to be ready for tomorrow. :)

Sponsor