• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Expand parking, but also expand the skiing! After visiting the Alps I'm pretty over not having lift access everywhere. Abasin should expand it's parking while building a tram to the top of Loveland Pass. It'd piss off a few bc skiers -- but ultimately that area would be much safer for everyone involved if it was avy controlled.

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
After visiting the Alps I'm pretty over not having lift access everywhere.
ultimately that area would be much safer for everyone involved if it was avy controlled.
Not exactly.

In the Alps, there maybe lifts everywhere. But only the groomer were avy controlled. Not the bowls and faces between the groomers.

It’s actually much less safe in Europe, if you haven’t already know.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Not exactly.

In the Alps, there maybe lifts everywhere. But only the groomer were avy controlled. Not the bowls and faces between the groomers.

It’s actually much less safe in Europe, if you haven’t already know.

I'm aware.

However, if Abasin expanded, I don't foresee them suddenly throwing out the standard operation procedures of all North American ski areas which is to make a reasonable attempt at avy mitigation on all prone slopes. If they did that expansion, it would be with avy control. (Even then, skiing inbounds in Colorado, avalanches are considered an inherent risk of skiing).

I say it would be safer now, because Loveland Pass is the number one spot in the Front Range for people without proper avalanche training or gear to regularly ski avalanche terrain.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Expand parking, but also expand the skiing! After visiting the Alps I'm pretty over not having lift access everywhere. Abasin should expand it's parking while building a tram to the top of Loveland Pass. It'd piss off a few bc skiers -- but ultimately that area would be much safer for everyone involved if it was avy controlled.
Bring back Berthoud Pass Ski Area for the same reasons!

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
I'm aware.

However, if Abasin expanded, I don't foresee them suddenly throwing out the standard operation procedures of all North American ski areas which is to make a reasonable attempt at avy mitigation on all prone slopes. If they did that expansion, it would be with avy control. (Even then, skiing inbounds in Colorado, avalanches are considered an inherent risk of skiing).

I say it would be safer now, because Loveland Pass is the number one spot in the Front Range for people without proper avalanche training or gear to regularly ski avalanche terrain.
Except, Abasin may not want to take on the extra effort to control all that terrain.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I completely agree with you if Abasin decided to put up an ugly, simple concrete parking structure. But if they are held to a high standard, whether that's by the USFS, the public, or their own goals, I would imagine that they could design a parking structure that would actually be neutral at worst, and hopefully better than what currently exists.
Yeah, the existing condition of the parking isn't exactly pretty. Even without a structure, they could add spots to the Early Riser Lot and make it much more attractive with retaining walls and good drainage. They could also improve and expand the beach while adding a bit more parking by putting the river that runs through it in a culvert.

IMG_20190609_153907.jpg

If they want to add a structure to Early Riser there's some good elevation to hide it by the drop off lot. Or, put the structure in the High Noon Lot where it could be nicely hidden from the highway with the existing elevation and trees and a bit of screening.

It's going to take a bunch of money. Which A-basin will have. How much more will they make per scan on Ikon vs what they made on Epic? 2x? 4x?

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The bigger question that Abasin patrons ought to be asking when it comes to parking though is the tradeoff between parking and crowds on the slopes. It sounds like the parking situation at Abasin currently limits the total number of skiers that can be on the mountain at one time. With the recent terrain expansions, I do not hear a whole lot of complaining about lines or crowds (with the exception of early season). Would folks here be willing to accept more available parking for more lines/crowds? Improving access is a double edged sword. As an example, I am very interested in the debates over improving access to Little Cottonwood Canyon (Snowbird, Alta). Many proposed solutions would be ecologically friendly and would allow for improved access...at the cost of making these mountains even more crowded.
Great question. I wouldn't want to see so much additional parking that it results in excessive lift lines. I don't think there is enough lift capacity for overcrowded slopes, at least when most the terrain is open. I can deal with not finding a spot to sit down for lunch by eating on the lift.

Split ball quantifying it, I'd hope increasing parking 10-20% could lower the number of days A-basin reaches parking capacity from 20-30 to 2-3 each season. And doing so wouldn't substantially impact the experience otherwise. I'm guessing at the numbers and very likely wrong. Just dreaming.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
For one, instead of allowing cars to park on the roof, they could have a green roof, which is essentially a roof that is covered in vegetation. They are becoming popular on new buildings here in Boston. Not only are they attractive, they allow plants to grow on a surface that in Abasin's case would otherwise be gravel/sand.

Does a big flat roof that can't be plowed work in places that receive as much snow as A Basin does?

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Does a big flat roof that can't be plowed work in places that receive as much snow as A Basin does?
Boston gets quite a lot of snow too. The wet and heavy kind no less.

How those flat roof works I have no idea. But if there’re many, they must have figured out how to deal with.

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
No skin in this game. I haven't had any type of A Basin pass since the $199 end of season pass and only ski there end of season. I have found some of the few hundred comments I've read to be almost comical. Especially some of the Copper comments. I question if some would pass a reading comprehension test. I know I for one was surprised it was Ikon. I was in the they were headed to the MCP camp. I do wonder how this will affect Loveland.

It will be interesting to hear what the anticipated additional perks allegedly to be announced this week will be.

HA!!!! And as I posted this @jmeb posted the update!

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
I do wonder how this will affect Loveland.

I doubt a huge amount this year, but perhaps in the years to come.

Loveland has explicitly said this spring they don't see them being part of one of the mega passes. It isn't part of their business model or their customer base. If that remains true, the big question becomes: are there lots of customers who want out of the big multi-mountain pass model?

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Abasin also just announced they are on the Mountain Collective.

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

I was just coming to post this! Quoted for emphasis in case anyone misses it.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Boston gets quite a lot of snow too. The wet and heavy kind no less.

How those flat roof works I have no idea. But if there’re many, they must have figured out how to deal with.

When we had the record snow crews were working around the clock to shovel the snow off buildings, mostly space buildings big box, and schools without adequate support. Having said that it's very easy for an engineer to design parking under a building, it just costs more $$.

Reactions: RJS

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
When we had the record snow crews were working around the clock to shovel the snow off buildings, mostly space buildings big box, and schools without adequate support. Having said that it's very easy for an engineer to design parking under a building, it just costs more $$.
And there were several roof collapses.

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I doubt a huge amount this year, but perhaps in the years to come.

Loveland has explicitly said this spring they don't see them being part of one of the mega passes. It isn't part of their business model or their customer base. If that remains true, the big question becomes: are there lots of customers who want out of the big multi-mountain pass model?

I went all in when Luv announced buy your 2019/20 pass now and ski the rest of this season. Already have 8 days on the upcoming season pass ogsmile
I can tell you that there were 7 of us in the office buying passes. Two of them were couples from other places making the move to Luv. If I see you in the fall I will stop and say hi. I have a friend who is a week day patroller there.

Sponsor

Staff online