• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
I don't think it is likely Abasin that is the hold up in adding parking. I imagine it's the forest service permitting. Between the limited space (much of which is in avalanche paths) and the fact that parking limits the impact on FS land -- I imagine its a bit of a pickle.

A better alternative in my mind is significant parking expansion in Dillon/Silverthorne for both Keystone/Abasin. Make it free, subsidized via lift tickets/season passes.

Of course I'd love to see a shuttle between Abasin and Loveland too, but the space limitation is similar on the Loveland side.

skix

Out on the slopes
Skier
As much as I hate the parking hassle at ABasin I'd still hate to see them add a parking garage, paved lots, or even expanded parking. They sit in the headwaters of an important river in a tight valley that is famous for its natural beauty. I'd rather they close the resort or raise the price 1000% rather than see them uglify the area with expanded driving and parking options. I overlook alot of my own selfishness in order to ski there but if they have to ruin that valley to make the place work then we should all find other things to do with our time. We're enough of a cancer on the land as it is.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I want to be able to show up to ski A-basin at 9:30 or 10 am after dropping kids at school in Denver. That hasn't been possible on powder days. Same deal on busy weekends.
Realisticly, I don't know of ANY resort you can do that. If I get there at 9:30-10:00 on a powder day...I'm not expecting a spot in the same zip code as the resort let alone w/in trekking distance to the lifts.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Realisticly, I don't know of ANY resort you can do that. If I get there at 9:30-10:00 on a powder day...I'm not expecting a spot in the same zip code as the resort let alone w/in trekking distance to the lifts.
On a weekday? Of all the front range resorts, I believe A-basin is the only one that regularly turns away guests on weekdays.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
On a weekday? Of all the front range resorts, I believe A-basin is the only one that regularly turns away guests on weekdays.
I know it is that way at ANY Tahoe resort, a mid week powder day...good luck getting there after 9.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I know it is that way at ANY Tahoe resort, a mid week powder day...good luck getting there after 9.
A powder day at Mt. Rose requires arrival approximately 2 hours before they spin the lifts. And by 2 hours I mean standing in line if you want any chance at first tracks somewhere on the mountain.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

A powder day at Mt. Rose requires arrival approximately 2 hours before they spin the lifts. And by 2 hours I mean standing in line if you want any chance at first tracks somewhere on the mountain.
+1 for living in Denver and skiing I-70. ;)

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Different expectation:

Population of San Francisco Bay area: ~ 8 million

Population of Denver metro area: ~ 3 million

Denvernites complain obsessively about I-70 traffic. Californians don’t even complain about I-80 traffic any more. Traffic is taken for granted. You’re thankful if in the rare occasion the traffic isn’t terrible!

Last edited:

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

:eek::eek::eek:

oh hell No, rather go somewhere, skin up and get fresh tracks guaranteed.... :huh:

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Great for travelers/tourists. How do the locals feel about it?
I'm torn. I didn't get an Ikon, I didn't (probably won't) get an A-Basin pass. My home area, Breck, now has skiing into May. I can't use my Real Deal from being an employee in the spring, about the only time I ski there, as Cooper, where I'm employed will not be open. If I can get Real Deals from Cooper to use after they are closed, I'll get some day passes for the PugSki event. If not, then I'll just man the grill. Gary can have the day off.

For me Breck's spring skiing was a good as A-Basin's, the crowds were no issue and taking two buses instead a bus and the gondola was no biggie. The only thing I'm missing without an A-Basin pass is my buds. The people, not the flower.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
What are the chances they’d run a bus from Dillon or Silverthorne? As part of that CDot thing.
Where would people park and who would supply the buses? There isn't any large public area except the Frisco Transit Station. I doubt the Outlets at Silverthorne are going to offer their lots but who knows.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
925,000 epic pass holders with unlimited days vs roughly 250,000 (last season...let's call it 325K this season) pass holder with 5 or 7 days. I'd say we're gonna see a decrease the question is how much
Except I, like many other Epic pass holders likely didn't ski the Basin more than a few days. It is pure speculation on everyone's part as to how it's going to play out, crowd wise.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
All of this pass hoopla has got me looking at my no-cost/low-cost options. LL hasn't got their pass prices on their site. What were they last year for an adult 7 day and an adult mid-week? Interestingly I get a lot of smaller areas on my Cooper employee pass:

Season-Pass-Partners-1920-x-1.jpg

Sunlight and Loveland are good no brainers. Monarch, Purg and Hespurus could be fun if I ever travel more than a couple hours away. Loveland's pass has a lot of good partners, too, but I won't be getting that as long as it's on Cooper's. It almost makes buying passes at a ski area you don't ski worth while if you plan on taking some ski safaris. Of course, the MCP, Ikon and Epic have their charm and there is a bit of overlap with the passes that offer partnerships. Decisions, decisions. I have a few years before my safari begins in earnest. Who knows what will be out there then!

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
What were they last year for an adult 7 day and an adult mid-week?

$419 for adult 7 day w/o renewal. $399 with. I believe midweek only knocked 100-120 off that but it doesn't include all the bonus days (just a few).

Luv full pass also includes Powder Alliance which brings some great options for a ski safari.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Except I, like many other Epic pass holders likely didn't ski the Basin more than a few days. It is pure speculation on everyone's part as to how it's going to play out, crowd wise.

+1

I like AB but I nor anyone else imo ever bought an Epic Pass with the primary purpose of skiing AB. It was a nice bonus or late season option once the other resorts closed.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
That may be easy to say from No. Va.

It certainly isn't a true statement for many Front Rangers.

If it’s true the front rangers buy the Epic Pass with the primary intent to ski AB, the obvious question would be why? For a fraction of the Epic Pass you could buy an AB pass, even less for a mid week pass. I get why a front range skier would would by the Epic Pass, that is to ski all the VR mountains they have access to, but to primarily ski AB?? For my $ if I was a front range weekend skier I’d ski Loveland as my primary mountain.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
If it’s true the front rangers buy the Epic Pass with the primary intent to ski AB, the obvious question would be why? ...

Just in case you wanted a day or two at Vail -- "primary" isn't "only."

(eta: A Front Ranger would have bought the Epic LOCAL pass, which gave you up to 10 days at Vail, and at $200 at the window, it's pretty easy to justify it.)

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January