• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
As an A-basin fanboy and pass holder, I just want somewhere to park. Please?

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Well, if you thought the A-Basin hard core were pissed off last week, the MCP news should really add to the fire!

While we all speculated that the VR-AB split was about overcrowding, I think it’s getting clearer by the day it’s mostly about profit maximization of AB’s share per skier. Not that I can blame them or any other business for that approach.

As to parking, when they make it a priority it will get addressed. I don’t see it changing soon.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
While we all speculated that the VR-AB split was about overcrowding, .

We weren’t speculating about it. There was selective naïveté that ABasin was being honest when they repeatedly said the split was about overcrowding.

Last edited:

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
And that could still very well be the case..... Even with an Ikon and MCP add they may be projecting smaller than previous crowds with the Epic. You know they all have extensive data regarding skier visits on each pass. Will be curious to see how it shakes out.

RachelV

I run TheSkiDiva.com and work at OpenSnow.
Ski Diva Tester
Well, if you thought the A-Basin hard core were pissed off last week, the MCP news should really add to the fire!

I don't know.... I"m an A-Basin passholder and I don't see the MCP adding much above Ikon. I also still think it will be substantially less of a shitshow than last year, but only time will tell.

It's honestly probably going to be impossible to get a real pre/post-Epic comparison, because I'm a pretty firm believer that last year's crowding everywhere was in a large part driven by the great snow year, and sadly it will probably be a while until we get a year like that again. But that's opening a whole different can of conversational worms. :)

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't know.... I"m an A-Basin passholder and I don't see the MCP adding much above Ikon. I also still think it will be substantially less of a shitshow than last year, but only time will tell.

It's honestly probably going to be impossible to get a real pre/post-Epic comparison, because I'm a pretty firm believer that last year's crowding everywhere was in a large part driven by the great snow year, and sadly it will probably be a while until we get a year like that again. But that's opening a whole different can of conversational worms. :)
I agree, it was an exceptional year...….

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Free first tracks a few times a year for passholders would be equally amazing and actually seems workable.

Agreed. I highly doubt that restricting MCP and Ikon passholders from parts of the mountain during standard opening hours would comply with their contracts but I can see having a periodic, 30 minute early load for Abasin passholders being workable.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
We weren’t speculating about it. There was selective naïveté that ABasin was being honest when they repeatedly said the split was about overcrowding.

If we go back to the quotes from the Vail split announcement :

“Our focus has always been to provide an extraordinary mountain experience for our guests. With consistent snowfall and one of the nation’s highest and most stunning settings, we offer an environment that is totally unique ... Looking forward, we strive to provide ready and easy access for our guests. Our goal is to minimize waiting and crowding and maximize experiences and fun,”

That last "waiting and crowding" line sure seems a bit out of place now, IMO. Though notice they never said "reduce crowds"... seems like some carefully chosen wording that could mean "minimizing" it within the framework of being a very busy, money-making resort.

And the "ready and easy access" line seems out of place too... what with the parking situation.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
"Our goal is to minimize waiting and crowding and maximize experiences and fun,”

"Maximizing experiences" -- could mean either the number of experiences, or the quality of experiences. One of those is oppositional to "minimize waiting and crowding".

skix

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm sure for many passholders the half off window price at some great mountains will have value and feel like an upgrade. But for many others (most?) the whole point of buying a season pass is to keep the cost per day low. The included three free days at Taos are great but fifty percent off at Aspen is not. It's definitely no unqualified win-win. Mountain Collective passholders get a nice perk but depending on their situation ABasin passholders may save some dollars or they may get nothing but increased crowds. Meh.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Boston's annual snowfall is less than 50 inches per year. Abasin's is around 350 inches. Not even close to comparable.

https://www.usclimatedata.com/climate/boston/massachusetts/united-states/usma0046

https://www.arapahoebasin.com/the-mountain/mountain-facts/

Agree. That is why flat roofs usually work fine here. The year roofs were collapsing we got a lot more snow than usual. Oh, and the outer suburbs get a lot more snow than downtown and the airport (urban heat island and moderating ocean nearby).

Reactions: RJS

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

Yep. it was a certainly a perfect storm of sorts which resulted in massive crowds seemingly daily.

Tony

tseeb
Skier
Mt. Rose opens the Slide Side 30 minutes early for pass holders.
Last season, Heavenly let passholders load 30 min. early every Monday that was not a holiday (and weather permitting). The previous year they did it on Wednesday, but I don't remember if it was every one.

AFAIK Kirkwood and NorthStar have never done something similar. I have taken advantage of free lunch on Passholder Appreciation Days at all three Tahoe Vail ski areas, although I've missed the most recent ones.

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
A-basin had been turning away skiers long before last year.

So that’s more than just the good snow. Nobody argues it’s not due to being on the Epic pass. What we don’t know is switching to Ikon and MCP will improve the situation.

For some, they bought AB pass thinking that’s their refuge on crowded weekends. That believe was naive and they are now stuck with it.

It’s too early to get all excited or upset about it yet. But by the end of next season, those who’re upset will either be proven right or everyone will be relieved. If it’s the latter, AB owners will be laughing all the way to the bank. If it’s the former, AB may lose some of those core supporters for good. Or, maybe not...

Sponsor

Staff online