• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
We've always had green tomatoes in October. Which is why, after six years of trying all different kinds, I gave up. We had one decent year, the first year. After that, 100's of green tomatoes.

It gets too cold at night here, all summer long. We've also not grown spinach, various types of beans, broccoli, and romanesco. We just barely saved some peppers earlier this week from frost, the plants were dead the next morning. And the kohlrabi grew.

Tony

tseeb
Skier
Its already warm (anomaly) at Siberia Alaska strait. If the SST anomaly gets warmer at the gulf of Alaska, the 'Blob' might come back by winter. A month ago, the gulf was neutral.
Bad news on the blob posted https://weather.com/news/climate/news/2018-10-24-the-blob-returns-pacific-ocean yesterday and even more unusual weather in AK posted at https://weather.com/news/climate/ne...ord-late-fall-freeze-snow-anchorage-fairbanks a week ago. I'm only the messenger and am posting this here and not in the Tahoe thread.

You have green tomatoes in October??
Still getting ripe red tomatoes (and a lot of lemons and limes and getting buried in Fuyu persimmons) in South SF Bay Area where it is predicted to be 80 (or higher tomorrow and Saturday) and a couple of days next week. I'm doing my part for bringing on winter by going to Mexico for a week.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I love Fuyu persimmons! I'm not happy about the weather trends here in the Sacramento Valley. I don't want 80 degree temperatures right now. Bring on the cold!

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I love Fuyu persimmons! I'm not happy about the weather trends here in the Sacramento Valley. I don't want 80 degree temperatures right now. Bring on the cold!
Me too. Once made the mistake of buying Hachiya then eating at the same consistancy ripe wise as Fuyu, i.e., not jelly like, and thought I was becoming anaphylactic!

Oh and if we had your 80 degree temps in Philly all of the cute little Figs on my Fig trees would have a chance to become ripe ... ah, I'll buy 'em from California at my local Whole Foods and Giant - Bring On The Cold! \o/ :)

...Btw, didn't the 2015 Super el' nino mega Pacific Blob a few years back bring huge 4', 5' and 6' spring dumps to the Sierra Nevada's and the whole PNW???

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Me too. Once made the mistake of buying Hachiya then eating at the same consistancy ripe wise as Fuyu, i.e., not jelly like, and thought I was becoming anaphylactic!

Oh and if we had your 80 degree temps in Philly all of the cute little Figs on my Fig trees would have a chance to become ripe ... ah, I'll buy 'em from California at my local Whole Foods and Giant - Bring On The Cold! \o/ :)

...Btw, didn't the 2015 Super el' nino mega Pacific Blob a few years back bring huge 4', 5' and 6' spring dumps to the Sierra Nevada's and the whole PNW???

I guess the Hachiyas are better for baking, but I've never actually tried one.

Don't feel bad about the figs, I have a fig tree and it barely produces any fruit. There are some in the neighborhood that are big producers, so I don't know what the problem is.

Not sure about the dumps in Sierras in spring of 2016. We do tend to get lots of snow in the spring. But if whatever is happening weather -wise now brings us some big dumps at some point, I'll take it!

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January