• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chef23

Getting on the lift
Skier
I skied Waterville today and for President’s Day weekend It wasn’t that crowded. They never opened the full corral at the main quad and except for one time when the Valley (my wife and I were going to meet people at Sunnyside for lunch) chair ran slow for about 5 minutes I never waited longer than that.

Conditions were pretty good for most of the day. Late in the afternoon things in places got a little scratchy but you could still find good snow. We skied the last hour plus on Green Peak and there was good snow there. There is a bunch of just fun trails over there but the lift is really slow which is kind of a drag.

Overall a good day. Unfortunately I have to do some work tomorrow or I would have stayed and skied today.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Now that's an out of the way spot. I used to ski Killington every weekend a couple of decades ago, and I've probably seen it only once or twice, lifetime total, and never been inside.
It's on an isolated part of Great Eastern, but you can see it downhill as you peel off for Cruise Control. No inside, just a window to get food and drinks then sit on the deck hopefully in the sun.

MarkP

Saturday, and Saturday, and Saturday...
Skier
Glad I was able to finish work a day early and get to Killington Thursday before the cold came in. The day started with freezing drizzle turning into off and on light snow as the day progressed, clouds occasionally settling onto the upper half, reducing visibility. Crowd was light and the snow was taking an edge as smoothly as I've had this season.

Tiny crystals falling.
20200213_095515.jpg
1-3" of fresh early on
20200213_091508.jpg
Trees sporting the fresh coating
20200213_101308.jpg
Sassafras little used. Too flat (slow) for repeats.
20200213_142017.jpg

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
Skied Bromley on Sunday. I spent the morning over on the Blue Ribbon Quad servicing the advanced terrain. There was some fun stuff over there; more bumps than I was expecting. Snow quality was kind of variable; it ranged from really nice to crusty to clear ice; generally I'd hit all possible variations in the same turn. Classic "good for you" conditions. :thumb:

The main front side quad was apparently backed up, but the advanced-terrain chair was basically ski on most of the day. Works for me! :)

Met up with @surfsnowgirl for a few laps once she was done working and found some really sweet fluffy deep-ish snow on the side of the race trail. Which I found at full speed on my Laser SC's (72mm underfoot...) and my shins very rapidly found the limits of flex of my boots. My guardian angels caught up though, so I didn't crash. :D

Fun day. Bromley is way more fun than I had remembered it being from the last time I really skied there many years ago. I headed home via Vermont Route 30; the amount of traffic leaving Stratton was :eek::eek::eek:. Glad I wasn't there!

Clemson

Putting on skis
Skier
Skied Wildcat today. I hope the rest of my week here in N Conway goes as well. There where no lines to speak of, and most runs I felt like I had the mountain to myself. The conditions where very good for The Cat, only at the end of the day did the usual spots get a little icy, but even then no problem for my Nordica Navigators . I am not sure yet where I am going tomorrow , but Wednesday I am heading to Sunday River.

Attachments

• Mt Wasington.JPG
    Mt Wasington.JPG
    205.5 KB · Views: 12
  • wildcat.jpg
    wildcat.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 12
  • wildcat2.jpg
    wildcat2.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Well, will it be 1-3" followed by rain?, or will the 5-8" model come through for us tomorrow (Tuesday)?

I'm putting my money on the 5-8" and bringing the wide boards ;-)

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
Skied Bromley on Sunday. I spent the morning over on the Blue Ribbon Quad servicing the advanced terrain. There was some fun stuff over there; more bumps than I was expecting. Snow quality was kind of variable; it ranged from really nice to crusty to clear ice; generally I'd hit all possible variations in the same turn. Classic "good for you" conditions. :thumb:

The main front side quad was apparently backed up, but the advanced-terrain chair was basically ski on most of the day. Works for me! :)

Met up with @surfsnowgirl for a few laps once she was done working and found some really sweet fluffy deep-ish snow on the side of the race trail. Which I found at full speed on my Laser SC's (72mm underfoot...) and my shins very rapidly found the limits of flex of my boots. My guardian angels caught up though, so I didn't crash. :D

Fun day. Bromley is way more fun than I had remembered it being from the last time I really skied there many years ago. I headed home via Vermont Route 30; the amount of traffic leaving Stratton was :eek::eek::eek:. Glad I wasn't there!

I go to Bromley from time to time. I get a discount there. First time there was 1966, I think. The fast low angle trails on the front are blast. Blue Ribbon side is varied and harder terrain but not too. I like changing angle and bumps. I enjoy it more than Stratton which is right there across the valley.

Clemson

Putting on skis
Skier
Conway Scenic Railway is running a Snow Train to Attitash this week, and since I am staying in the Whitaker House Suites, which is right beside the track and walking distance to the station, I just have to do it. Here is a link to the train plow from a few days ago.

Attachments

• snow train.jpg
    snow train.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 7

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
I thought I heard a train going by the other day as I drove to Bretton Woods, but figured I was going crazy. It must have been this thing.

That plow reminds me of the train in the movie Snowpiercer.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
We had formidable winds this morning at Bretton Woods, yielding horizontal snow and low visibility. The gondola was shut down; wind hold. Skiers had to ride in the open.

It was cold. I heard several variations of "brutal at the top." I worked with a group of 7-9 year olds who had fun but were getting cold. We took a loooong hot chocolate break.

Snow was sure good, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online