• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
Was at Stowe yesterday...had a great day in the sun. Everything skied really well....only regret was forgetting my phone in truck/not being able to link up with Kevin....

We started our day about 8:00 at Mansfield Base Lodge/Quad and worked our way across the mountain, and ended day on Spruce about 2:00.

Runs of the day:
Hayride
Hayride Woods
Nosedive
Nosedive Woods
Chin clip....was a good choice.
Gondola zone...creamy groomer zoomers
Spruce zone....to finish the day.

Was very impressed..will be back to check out some stuff I missed. (Won’t forget my phone in truck.)

Sorry we missed each other but it sounds like you had a good day. You thought Chin Clip was good?:eek: I got to it in mid afternoon, so lots of it was in the shade; maybe it was better in the sun?

Phelmut

German for Northeasterner
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Cool Craig. Sounds like you are getting addicted.

I skied Stratton yesterday and it was pretty good in the a.m. and got better as it warmed up.

Also, I demoed the Enforcer 93s a couple of years back and loved them. They had Nordica demos Saturday at Killington and I demoed the 88s and loved them. I like my 88 Rangers a lot, but they are not great when conditions get slick and the Encorcers give a lot more confidence then. Now to divert some funds where my wife won't see them;)

Last edited:

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sorry we missed each other but it sounds like you had a good day. You thought Chin Clip was good?:eek: I got to it in mid afternoon, so lots of it was in the shade; maybe it was better in the sun?

Yeah it was interesting to say the least....my definition of “run of the day”..,.probably should of been “most memorable” I guess...lol. My buddy passed and went for the groom. I made the “choice” for some more “natural” terrain..haha.

I needed a beer after...they should set up a bar at the bottom for people to have a beer after that run. Definitely earned it. Me and a local guy yo-yo’d it together.....he/we thought it was pretty fun...lol.

KevinF

Team Gathermeister
Yeah it was interesting to say the least....my definition of “run of the day”..,.probably should of been “most memorable” I guess...lol. My buddy passed and went for the groom. I made the “choice” for some more “natural” terrain..haha.

I needed a beer after...they should set up a bar at the bottom for people to have a beer after that run. Definitely earned it. Me and a local guy yo-yo’d it together.....he/we thought it was pretty fun...lol.

Ha! I'd definitely go for a beer stand at the bottom of Chin Clip. :thumb:

My three trips down it made me witness every form of bad bump skiing imaginable. Snow plowers, upper body rotation, side-stepping down, etc. I particularly liked the guy who was having difficulty standing up after a fall. :rolleyes:

My favorite though was the guy who tried to carry waaaayyyyy too much speed through the upper moguls to have speed for the Angel Food traverse. Let's just say that the bumps won. (He did head out to Angel Food...). I'm assuming the trees didn't win out there.

I heard various "I didn't realize it was all moguls!" type laments. I always felt that the turn off back to Gondolier after the first two dozen bumps should be a bigger sign. i.e., "last chance to get out! It gets worse!".

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Avalanche at Whiteface yesterday. From:
"This small (but definitely powerful enough to knock you over, possibly break some bones , and bury you ) 200 yards long apparently naturally point release triggered Avalanche occurred today at Whiteface (10:44 AM )( about the 4700 foot level) on a Southeast Facing Slope in The Slides Area on the Irene Slide. I watched it come down while riding the Summit Chair and took these photos and called Ski Patrol. Whiteface Ski Patrol along with the NYS Forest Rangers did an excellent job of making sure nobody was involved, as folks will sometimes climb up the Toll Road and drop in from above the lifts.
Whiteface Ski Patrol does an excellent job of assessing the stability of the Lift Area Slides every day.
Warmer Above Freezing Temps mixed with Intense SolarRadiation from the late February Direct Sunlight on the small rock band above the Irene Slide probably caused a Sluff which triggered this Loose Wet Snow Avalanche.
The Slides were closed today.
"

Reactions: RJS

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Last week at Sugarloaf I was skiing the top treeless area to skier's left of White Nitro. It was windblown crust which resulted in small pieces of sliding ice crust making glassy noises as they slid by me. The area was open to skiing but it gave me pause when I looked up to see the little pieces of ice sliding down.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
No races up here right now. Looks like you couldn’t have one if you wanted to, the race hill seems semi-abandoned. Snow is good but not super abundant. Creamy tree skiing yesterday. Going to Massif du Sud today.

Tominator

Totally in the present
Skier
Skied Berkshire East again yesterday.
Man-made snow cover was just enough and generally groomed into crunchy thin-wale corduroy.
Darn - I really like that little place - a lot of really enjoyable terrain!
2 hour drive from Boston Metrowest; online tickets were $17 for me (Senior) and $23 for my son (Adult).

KevinF

Team Gathermeister
Skied Stowe today. Stowe has gotten buried the past two days and the dumpage continued through last night. A couple inches of total fluff on top of a couple feet of powder.

I usually ski Starr from the top entrance once or twice a season to remind myself how bad it is. Today I dropped in there three times in a row. Everything was insanely good. Starr and Lookout were so buried that it was barely even bump skiing. Goat had well formed bumps but was still just GO from the top. Tres Amigos was laughably good.

You couldn’t find rocks or ice without a shovel.

Skied a few Spruce runs after lunch and then finished the day with a Bruce run to the Matterhorn bar.

3D1E476D-F650-4694-87C2-E50BAB8424F9.jpeg DCB92A30-102A-4B9B-9120-50FA07947B37.jpeg D72C9428-86C0-4AD7-8A0D-5757A6E92138.jpeg E9C772F8-0335-4D43-ACBC-E93FF5C69EF5.jpeg

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Skied Stowe today. Stowe has gotten buried the past two days and the dumpage continued through last night. A couple inches of total fluff on top of a couple feet of powder.

I usually ski Starr from the top entrance once or twice a season to remind myself how bad it is. Today I dropped in there three times in a row. Everything was insanely good. Starr and Lookout were so buried that it was barely even bump skiing. Goat had well formed bumps but was still just GO from the top. Tres Amigos was laughably good.

Skied a few Spruce runs after lunch and then finished the day with a Bruce run to the Matterhorn bar.

View attachment 95339 View attachment 95340 View attachment 95341 View attachment 95342

That looks sooo good.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier

View attachment 95339 View attachment 95340 View attachment 95341 View attachment 95342

Wow!

Phelmut

German for Northeasterner
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We skied Sugarbush yesterday and Killington today. Yesterday was obviously better snow but today was good after some traffic loosened up the flattening by the groomers.

Killington was empty for some reason today. It almost felt like a midweek day. Anybody know why?

KevinF

Team Gathermeister
Skied Stowe today. Took a groomer warmup lap and then went for fun.

Went for all four Front Four trails from their top entrances. For the first time ever (in my experience...) Liftline was actually good from the top. Starr was holding up well. Goat was, ummmm, well Goat. Rocks, ice, huge moguls and ungodly steep. Soft snow around the obstacles though so it wasn’t awful. National was amazing... easily the best of the four.

I had to hit Lookout as well although with the double running it wasn’t open from the top. Lookout “from the top” is the one on-the-map trail I haven’t skied.

Hit some woods none of which sucked. Skied National and Goat again.

Wind was cranking in the morning so the quad was running slowly, leading to big lines at the bottom but relatively uncrowned trails. The chairs were swinging enough that patrol was saying it was going to close soon, but the wind started to die down so lifts stayed open.

No idea how many powder bumps I skied the past two days, but it was a lot. Ski what makes you happy.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Really, really warm up here today. Great skiing once it cleared up, but very sticky. I'm hoping we get below freezing tonight so the skiing will be good tomorrow. Big race this weekend for my kid, so I expect that N VT will get dumped on. You heard it here first, powder cycle Thurs-Sunday epicenter should be Sugarbush.

So as you guys might have surmised from Kevin's post, Stowe was utterly mobbed on Saturday (and oddly empty on Sunday :huh: ). Well here's some new info, we have a new parking lot! It's called Smuggler's Notch! I mean the ski resort, not the geographic location. Apparently on Saturday Smuggs sold more single ride tickets for Sterling than they did day passes. Smuggs is the new parking lot for Epic Pass holders in Burlington.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online