• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Clemson

Putting on skis
Skier
I was at Sunday River yesterday, nice fresh snow but very little way to access it. Aurora, Oz, and Jordan where shut down, as was the chondola to North peak. Spruce and Barker where hit or miss as well due to high winds. To get back in the lift line after going in the lodge, one had to shoulder their skis and hike up to the back of the line.

Attachments

• IMG_0403.JPG
    IMG_0403.JPG
    167.7 KB · Views: 18

MissySki

Rogue Assassin of Bad Puns.
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I was at Sunday River yesterday, nice fresh snow but very little way to access it. Aurora, Oz, and Jordan where shut down, as was the chondola to North peak. Spruce and Barker where hit or miss as well due to high winds. To get back in the lift line after going in the lodge, one had to shoulder their skis and hike up to the back of the line.

That type of day is one of the reasons I wanted to get an AT setup going this year!

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Sugarloaf is in pretty good shape. Today was the most beautifully warm blue day of the season. A few wind holds here and there but not as bad as last year in February. It was cold midweek. The woods have some rocks and stumps exposed. A foot or three would have the place going off with maybe back snowfields open. A couple shots of bracket basin. 20200221_120630.jpg

Attachments

• 20200220_113655.jpg
    20200220_113655.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 11

frontfive

Ski Adventure 19/20
Contributor
@Clemson did you take the snow train? Id love to hear your review.... I am considering doing this next week, but also want to ski Black- too many choices!

Phelmut

German for Northeasterner
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I skied Killington today and it was pretty good considering the bony winter we've had so far. We spent a lot of time at Bear Mountain and there were a lot of people there for the Subaru music festival. Lift lines were not bad and when they got longer we used the singles line or ventured over to the Superstar area.

Ovation was in great shape on the upper part and the lower part was decent, but vis on the lower part was terrible in the a.m. when we hit it. Conditions got a bit sketchy late in the day between the poor vis and the skied off snow.

I may be at K again tomorrow if anyone is around for some turns.

hespeler

Putting on skis
Skier
I skied Stowe today. There was a small Facebook meetup here today, so I skied with them. Fun crew.

Stowe was mobbed today. Even the double chair had a line and that never happens. Bumps were firm but still had decent snow. Trees were pretty good. Coverage is awesome.

We just had a nice three days at Stowe. Crowds were minimal on Wednesday and Thursday, probably due in part to the extreme cold at least on Thursday. But still, Presidents Week, Epic Pass, etc.?

On Friday things started to pick up but not unbearable.

Our first time there and we really enjoyed it. Front Four skied really well. Thanks to @KevinF for the info on how to access certain parts of the mountain. My legs are cooked from constant bump and tree runs.

Great warm up for our trip to Telluride next week.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
Another Stowe day today. Warm and sunny.

Several of the mild cruisers off the quad were shut down today for the Derby. Tons of people on North Slope who had no business being there. I answered the “why is Toll Road closed?” question several times. “Is it open lower down?” Yeah, no it’s not... Sorry! There was a sign at quad base mentioning it (and several others...) were closed today but it’s a small sign.

Skied National amd Starr twice each. Nice snow and nice round bumps. Definitely firm though. Some sun-softened bumps on the lower stretches. Centerline also skied nicely.

Skied some corn in the afternoon on Spruce before heading over to Chin Clip. Chin Clip had atrociously shaped bumps. The only thing to do was pivot slip the spine in places before dropping off the edge of the cube. :nono: The Spanish Inquisition didn’t have torture devices this cruel. So I skied it three times. :cool::rolleyes:

“Good for you” and all that.

I did watch a few minutes of the derby; everyone I saw made it through Carnage Corner. They have lots of b-net up this year. It’s like they don’t want racers crashing into spectators or trees. Strange concept.
807377D4-EB23-45F8-B4B4-E375950E42FD.jpeg

F3FCAA06-EEBF-4872-84D8-63AF64178894.jpeg

CraigBro

Getting on the lift
Skier
Pico yesterday and Killington today. Yesterday conditions were good enough for me to do Upper Pike, bagging my first black diamond. Today was leisurely touring of softened up snow on Killington. Total of 40k+ vertical this weekend and a new top speed of 32mph, which is plenty fast for me.

Best weekend of skiing for me thus far, even if neither day was the best. Hitting peak to creek twice with my bro was so much fun.

Itinerant skier

Out on the slopes
Skier
Skied Pats Peak on Friday night. I used my Indy Pass, but my colleague got their special Pay -One-Price $52 deal that included rentals and tubing. Fun little hill, typical hard packed scrapey scrapey snow. Lodge was packed as well as the green trails. Non green trails, including the adorably easy double black FIS course were empty.

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
Great weekend at Killington with friends. 2 bluebird days in a row (a true New England rarity) Best skiing of the year so far with my game coming on and on the eve of a trip out west.

IMG_0671.JPG

IMG_0685.JPG

IMG_0694.JPG

Took a full vertical run from the summit, this is Valley Plunge at the end.

IMG_0688.JPG

1st true tree runs of the year. The Throne, not too much sketch

IMG_0700.JPG
My ROD Needles Eye. Don't mind the dirt, just hop over it. Snow was just fine down lower and finally Dream Maker Wall

IMG_0705.JPG

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
I was witness to a scary chairlift incident today. I was riding the quad with a mother and her kid with the kid between us.

We were approaching the unload station (which, like most detach quads, is pretty flat) and the kid went to stand up while we were still on the downhill side of the unload station. His mother and I each managed to grab an arm and keep him from falling; if he had managed to stand up, he would have gotten pinned between the unload ramp and the chairlift, or at least gotten run over by the chair. :eek:

Anyway, with his mother and I each hanging on to an arm, we were able to drag him to the safety of the unload ramp before kind of dropping him. His skis had popped off and were lying basically right at the start of the unload platform. I'm surprised one didn't fall to the snow on the Octagon side of the unload station.

It all seemed to end well... lift stopped, liftie went to retrieve the skis, kid stood up, etc... But... Ugh. The idea of getting pinned between the chair and the unload ramp... Yikes. Glad it worked out.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Was at Stowe yesterday...had a great day in the sun. Everything skied really well....only regret was forgetting my phone in truck/not being able to link up with Kevin....

We started our day about 8:00 at Mansfield Base Lodge/Quad and worked our way across the mountain, and ended day on Spruce about 2:00.

Runs of the day:
Hayride
Hayride Woods
Nosedive
Nosedive Woods
Chin clip....was a good choice.
Gondola zone...creamy groomer zoomers
Spruce zone....to finish the day.

Was very impressed..will be back to check out some stuff I missed. (Won’t forget my phone in truck.)

CraigBro

Getting on the lift
Skier
Was that an intentional 32 mph or a Holy Sh!t, I can't control my speed 32 mph?;)

Intentional, as in I was going flat out on a trail that was wide open and in good shape and felt in control. I will caveat the number by saying I don’t know how well my phone and ski tracking app is calibrated. The bentchetler 100s felt stable.

Status
Not open for further replies.